It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photo Analysis of an Aerial Disc Over Costa Rica 1971

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

read the original report, the possibility of a film defect is brought up and is explained in detail. in fact the researcher came up with the original negative and "debunked" that hypothesis.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
reply to post by ByteChanger

If we are looking for comparisons maybe this would be a good one.

From.. www.ufologie.net...
On April 19, 1978, police officer Mark Coltrane was on patrol in the vicinity of Colfax, a small town with a thousands of inhabitants in Wisconsin, USA. At midday, he decided to stop the car to eat something, in a small isolated area. He noted that his radio was emitting crackles. He then noticed a metalic looking disc raising towards the the sky at a short distance from the parking space. While the object seemed to move towards him, Coltrane picked up his Polaroid camera, came out of the car and snapped some photographs. The object was so close in one of the images that it is possible to notice some details of its lower surface.

This appears to be the same craft as in the OP. I will have to check it for the same markings.
It also seems to have the same bend on the edge of the disk.
At any rate, great comparison.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

FireMoon.....

Those photos make for an interesting comparison.

Have you looked for any reports analysing those photographs?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I did are they are ran through PS. What the heck!

The source page is a month behind in sightings and the author states he never used to be interested in the whole UFO thing.

I am at a standstill.

I don't see the same V markings as the OPs craft. The large and dark V inside of that, is narrower.
The bead on the top seems taller than the OPs
edit on 18-10-2010 by Tribble because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Maybe they have been maybe they haven't been analysed
I have searched for some sort of breakdown on them but they seem to have slipped under the Radar, as it were. Whether that is suggestive of them *not being worthy of analysis*, I really don;t know. That said, the fact they were supposedly taken by a law enforcement officer does lend them some credence.

Sadly, with the death of Wendelle Stevens we might never know what it was actually really all about. he was the guy who investigated it originally and i guess, was the one person, save for Mark Coltrane himself, who knows where and what happened to the pictures.

nawewtech.angelfire.com... This is the only place i can find any other versions of the photos, but no commentary as to their authenticity or otherwise. I agree they are certainly worth a good going over using modern techniques in an attempt to ascertain what they are of.
edit on 18-10-2010 by FireMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

firemoon that is a very interesting case also.
that craft (if that is what they are) is a sure
fit as to being the same as shown in the
Costa rica case.

nice find and great comparison, one and the same imo.
credible witness so story holds up well to.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

looks like a shoe hanging off a power line

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gabo-
reply to post by Blue Shift

read the original report, the possibility of a film defect is brought up and is explained in detail. in fact the researcher came up with the original negative and "debunked" that hypothesis.

You are correct RICHARD F. HAINES and JACQUES F. VALLEE went over the negatives in detail.

Our examination of the original confirms our initial speculation that the image of the disc: is not the result of double exposure, a reflection, a deliberate paste-up, or other kind of Hoax.

In summary, our good fortune in obtaining the original negative for
frames 299-30 1 has resulted in confirmation of our earlier speculation that
the aerial disc is certainly anomalous. While it may not be inexplicable, it is
at least unidentified.

Dr. Richard Haines is a Senior Research Scientist at the NASA-Ames Research Centre. He is best known for his work with pilots and their UFO sightings. Over the last 30 years he has been investigating the subject, he has amassed over 3000 pilot sighting reports. During his introduction he mentioned that his research has taught him a lot more about Science, Engineering, Optics and Human behaviour He has also investigated photographic evidence of UFO's but stresses that UFO photos are easily faked, however, points out that there are good UFO photographs.

members.ozemail.com.au...

Ocker

edit on 20/10/2010 by ocker because: to add some info

edit on 20/10/2010 by ocker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gabo-

Well, maybe it's not on the film. But how about a transient drop of water on the camera lens or cover?

Because it still doesn't explain why it fails to cast a shadow at approximately the 4 o'clock position, like everything else in the photo. If it's tilted up at an angle coming out of the water, there would be a good shadow under the edge. Or edges, actually. Not only that, but with the light coming from approximately the 10 o'clock position (I don't know where they came up with the sunlight direction in the diagram. Not from the roads and ridges in the rest of the photo, apparently.), shouldn't the dark area on the disk itself be in the 4 o'clock position, rather than at 6 or 7? And where is that other light source brightening the disk in the 2 o'clock position? A light source that seems to be reflecting something vertical, like trees?

I also remain bothered by the apparent lack of any kind of waves or wake. If the thing is entering or leaving the water fast enough to only show up in one frame, I assume it would be going pretty fast and leave quite a splash.

And that brings me back to the weird asymmetry of the thing, and not just the odd pancake stack shape. Okay, I can maybe see where the 12 o'clock edge is partially in the water (in spite of there being no wake), but what about the dark area at the angle of 10 o'clock? Is it in the water, too? If so, that's the strangest acting water ever, with a bend in it.

Hey, somebody asked for a debunking. And yeah, if you look for them, the thing has some of the characteristics of a solid object at a distance. On the other hand, it has a lot of things going for it that don't make any sense all within the context of the image. That's a problem.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/05ad1f1c7f26.png[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
reply to post by ByteChanger

If we are looking for comparisons maybe this would be a good one.

From.. www.ufologie.net...
On April 19, 1978, police officer Mark Coltrane was on patrol in the vicinity of Colfax, a small town with a thousands of inhabitants in Wisconsin, USA. At midday, he decided to stop the car to eat something, in a small isolated area. He noted that his radio was emitting crackles. He then noticed a metalic looking disc raising towards the the sky at a short distance from the parking space. While the object seemed to move towards him, Coltrane picked up his Polaroid camera, came out of the car and snapped some photographs. The object was so close in one of the images that it is possible to notice some details of its lower surface.

Upon further review of these two above pics, I call PS, or whatever was used.
Pic1- has the sun low and to the right.
Pic2- has the sun low and from the left, possibly even from behind the photographers left shoulder.

The pic in this OP basically has no shadows on it. The report said what we see like painted on graphics.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Man that is unbelievable. Is that photo real? I am sick and tired of the United States government denying aliens. It has been evident that they exist. Why make up the whole area 51 fiasco? It has a reason. Even our past presidents have confirmed that aliens exist but someone is shutting them up hubpages.com... . Tell me how come russia and other countries can confirm and release sighting information and we cant?

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

Not sure how you arrive at that conclusion. The light is from the right in both pics. The first one the object is closer to the photographer the second it is moving away. The light is consistent in both. They were taken and studied long before Photshop was invented.

As for the original photo. The shadows , I'd guess are actually the sea floor nothing to do with the land, given the height the picture was taken from. The disc is not emerging from the water, so don't see why it should cast a shadow at all, probably way too high to.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddybaney
sonic boom? maybe
apod.nasa.gov...

This idea is my favorite, the cone shape seen is indicative of some sort of shock wave caused by the entry of a high speed object through the atmosphere, like a meteor, comet or space debris. This would explain the "cloud like" appearance and the asymmetrical shape. The air thickens considerably as altitude decreases, this will cause the "object" to experience it's highest stress loads as it nears the surface, often resulting in an explosion. The formation of visible condensation can occur when there is sufficient water vapor in the air. When subjected to the initial shock wave the air is compressed, then as the initial pressure drops, the air will turn to visible condensed state that we see in clouds and supersonic jet shock-waves. One edge of the phenomenon can be seen to be condensing away, this may be an extremely rare type of water vapor effect caused by Meteor strikes while specific atmospheric conditions are present.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hey, I don't suppose anybody would happen to know what kind of camera those Costa Ricans were using to photograph their land at the time, would you? Also what configuration it had attached to the bottom of the plane? I've tried searching around, but something this specific is hard to come up with.

I keep looking at that "disc," and wonder if the odd shadows on it might actually be some kind of reflection of the camera lens assembly supported from the bottom of the plane.

Just an idea... FOR DEBUNKING!!! MWAHAHA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It would be probably something akin tot his that the picture was taken with.,,,

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by RING0

Originally posted by buddybaney
sonic boom? maybe
apod.nasa.gov...

This idea is my favorite, the cone shape seen is indicative of some sort of shock wave caused by the entry of a high speed object through the atmosphere, like a meteor, comet or space debris. This would explain the "cloud like" appearance and the asymmetrical shape.

RINGO.....

You mean something like this.....?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
This is the close up Richard Haines took from the original negative once he got it.

He points out the odd "feathering" of some of the edges, as well as the details within the elipse, and admits that they (along with the lack of shadow, etc.) have essentially nothing to do with the angle of the sun or anything else in the physical environment of the lake and so on. The marks also apparently have nothing to do with the shape of the "disk," and he even suggests they might be ornamental.

What he doesn't do, however, is take a very close look at the detail found in the dark areas inside the elipse, which link to the obvious dark "antenna," which is found in every copy of the photo. These are not artifacts created as a result of image compression or manipulation, because they're there in the original negative.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/27c1668d55eb.gif[/atsimg]

What they seem to show is some kind of stringy fiber, which loops around until it eventually becomes a tangle at apex of the elipse. Ordinarily, if you get a little fiber or something on the film it won't show up. But because the film grain was so high, it looks like it might have caught a little raised area created when a tiny little piece of fiber got caught between the film and the back plate of the camera. Then it was lost or brushed off when the film advanced. Maybe?

In any event, there are way too many anomalous details in the photo to say for sure that this was a physical disk-like object at or near the surface of the lake, and it appears to have been a transient flaw in the camera.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This has always been one of my favorites. Thanks for the post and discussion...

welcome back MMN, it's been kinda weird around here lately...

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

just thought Id give this thread a bump and some air time with an enhanced pic

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join