It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photo Analysis of an Aerial Disc Over Costa Rica 1971

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Been digging into some archives and found an oldy from Jacques Vallee

Abstract-An unusual image was photographically recorded by an official mapping aircraft of the Costa Rican government at 08:25 am (EDT) on September 4, 1971 while flying at 10,000 feet altitude over a body of water known as Lago de Cote. None of the flight crew or photographers saw the object. Second generation negative and positive black and white transparencies were obtained and analyzed by the authors.

Photo Analysis of an Aerial Disc Over Costa Rica - with R. Haines
www.scientificexploration.org...

Photo Analysis of an Aerial Disc Over Costa Rica: New Evidence - with R. Haines

Getting tired of all the youtube stuff... needed a breath of fresh air from the good old days of UFOLOGY where one actually studied the case

Enjoy...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
interessting stuff ..

never saw that before...thanks for that!
edit on 15-10-2010 by angrydog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

I like the older photos
I have always loved this photo. As far as i know, this has not been de-bunked.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Been digging into some archives and found an oldy from Jacques Vallee

Abstract-An unusual image was photographically recorded by an official mapping aircraft of the Costa Rican government at 08:25 am (EDT) on September 4, 1971 while flying at 10,000 feet altitude over a body of water known as Lago de Cote. None of the flight crew or photographers saw the object. Second generation negative and positive black and white transparencies were obtained and analyzed by the authors.

Thanks for posting this "oldy" but still very impressive case zorgon.
S&F
Here are two other photos from it from www.nicap.org...
How do I get the full version of them posted here as you did with the first one in the OP?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/792cc24cdaa6.jpg[/atsimg]

Costa Rica Photo - Photo Full Version

www.nicap.org...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a28f0452de48.jpg[/atsimg]

Photo Cropped Blow-Up

www.nicap.org...

edit on 15/10/10 by spacevisitor because: Made some corrections and did some adding

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I would like to get the skeptics in here and see what they think about this. Maybe they know something about the case that i don't.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Another Big Strike, eh, knight?

step by step....
S&F.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Now that is a UFO

This is a cool pic and I had never seen it before. Yay! Gives me something to look into vs those insane ones on youtube lately.

This is interesting and an awesome pic. 1971 huh?

Do you know more on this?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
In zorgons first link I noticed these two quite interesting remarks.

If the disc was located 10,000 feet away from the camera, its maximum dimension would be 210 meters (683 feet).

A disk of 210 meters (683 feet) is a pretty big one in my opinion.

The same body of water was the site of a visual observation of a partially submerged object on October 25, 1986.

Here is a description of that sighting.

10-25-1986

On October 25, 1986, at about 9:00 A.M., in clear weather, Joaquin U.A., a forty-year-old farm manager, and Ronald-Alberto L.A., a twenty-three year-old farmer, saw an object above the surface of the lake.

Interviewed two weeks later at the site by Ricardo and Carlos Vilchez, they drew pictures of what they had seen and gave a detailed description of the events.

First they saw, about 1,800 feet away, a row or post-like cylinders reaching about three feet above the surface of the lake, which was quiet and flat as a mirror.
Then they again saw a series of objects sticking out about three feet above the water and three feet apart.
By then they had driven their tractor much closer to the lake, and they could clearly observe the cylinders, which were of a dark hue, either gray or coffee-colored.
After five or ten minutes the objects disappeared, the emerged portions tilting together as if they were attached to a single submerged structure, and the whole thing disappeared with much turmoil and waves.

This reference: Confrontations, by Jacques Vallee, p. 52, © 1990

Original reference: February 1979 edition of “Notiziario UFO”, journal of Italy’s Centro Ufologico Nazionale.

www.waterufo.net...

edit on 15/10/10 by spacevisitor because: Made a correction

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

great thread chief.... thanks

60GCAT: What about other technologies that can help us analyze evidence better than we could, say, 10 years ago?

Vallee: Digital enhancement of photographs is very useful. In my book, Confrontations, I mention the photograph that I brought back from Costa Rica, which was unusual because the object was over a lake [Lago de Cote], so there was a uniform black background. Everything is known about the aircraft that took the photo. At the time the picture was taken [in 1971], nobody on the plane had seen the object. It was only after the film was developed that the object was discovered. The camera used was exceptional: It produced a very large negative--ten inches, very detailed. You can see cows in the field. The time is known; the latitude, longitude and attitude of the aircraft is known. So we spent a lot of time analyzing that photograph, without being able to find any obvious natural answer to the object. It seems to be a very large, solid thing.

I obtained the negative from the government of Costa Rica--if you don't have the negative, analysis is a waste of time. I also obtained the negative of the picture taken before and the picture after, all uncut. I took negatives to a friend of mine in France who works for a firm that digitally analyzes satellite photographs. They digitized the entire thing, and then analyzed it to the extent that they could, and could not find an explanation for the object.

www.thejinn.net...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I find it very frustrating when i good photo, and case comes along like this, and its ignored by certain people who can't de-bunk it. It really makes me think that some people don't give a crap about the subject, and are only interested in de-bunking. At least can we have one skeptic join this thread to get another opinion. Is that to much to ask for?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

OK...

It's clearly swamp gas, er wait, Venus yeah that's it, it's Venus.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well, let me throw a little debunking in here. For one, the "disk" seems to be lighter in contrast to the other stuff in the photo. I suppose this can be explained by it simply being a lighter shade or gray.

Also, why doesn't it have a shadow under the rim supposedly sticking out of the water? Everything else in the picture seems to have a nice, clear shadow.

And finally, what's with the asymmetry? It doesn't appear to be a regular disk, but rather something like a stack of pancakes shifted to one side. That's an odd design.

Anyway, it makes me think that the thing is perhaps just some fault in the film that just happens to have a few things that make it look like a disc coming out of the water, but several more things that don't. Debunked. On to the next one.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Getting tired of all the youtube stuff... needed a breath of fresh air from the good old days of UFOLOGY where one actually studied the case

Enjoy...

Well said, Zorgon. This is what we've lost and what we've need to get back to.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dethduck

Enjoy...

Well said, Zorgon. This is what we've lost and what we've need to get back to.

Problem is we'll never get back to this stuff. Everything you see from here on out will most likely be CGI animation, or a bad hoax of some sort. If Aliens are that technologically advanced, they can be here without being detected.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Ahh thank you for this great post. These cases were at a time when the public was not so diluted. A time when you could not simply upload the photo and edit the darn thing. This is a great picture. To the De bunker crowd, I am sorry but there could be a reason that the shape is distorted. If you look the shape is at an angle not sitting flat. At an angle a disk would look oblong not round. If you also look at the photo the craft is above the point to give off a shadow much the same as there is most likely not a shadow from the plane. One other thing I have seen photo anomalies in the past and I have not seen any like this or anywhere similar. Sorry but this is a UFO if you follow the definition.

Great Picture, Thanks a lot.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thank you for sharing this, I've never seen it.

It is a breath of fresh air.

SF and all that good stuff,

Ot

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Well there is no hazing on the saucer so quite obviously it is a model hung from a string thats attached to ummm..... something or other and ummm.....

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by thormg1976
Ahh thank you for this great post. These cases were at a time when the public was not so diluted. A time when you could not simply upload the photo and edit the darn thing. This is a great picture. To the De bunker crowd, I am sorry but there could be a reason that the shape is distorted. If you look the shape is at an angle not sitting flat. At an angle a disk would look oblong not round. If you also look at the photo the craft is above the point to give off a shadow much the same as there is most likely not a shadow from the plane. One other thing I have seen photo anomalies in the past and I have not seen any like this or anywhere similar. Sorry but this is a UFO if you follow the definition.

Great Picture, Thanks a lot.

Yep, thats right. The craft is at an angle, but its still a super clear photo. You can see the shape and structure perfectly. We know its not hoaxed, so, if it is something natural, then what is it? Still one of the best ufo photos out there.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Umm hey I am not a skeptic or a debunker. I have a quick little blurb though that I want to ask/ say. If you look at the 2 pictures of the object, on being a "blow up/cropped image" they are not the same picture if you scale the two they are not the same. They are at different angles. I thought I would just throw that out there.

Once again though thanks for the picture I love oldies like that.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
... hmm costa rica 1971... only showing up on film with what appears to be some pretty serious "fuzzing" around the edges that would be indicative of extremely high speed at time of picture being taken creating motion shadows due to object moving faster than shutter speed is timed to.

Just like the lack of visibility but being able to be picked up by a camera shutter....

I'm just going to smile and whistle and keep the cockpit shaped protrusion on top to myself ... it's not like there's rumors of certain factions having hidden redoubts in the area or anything...

And if the technology was based on artificial neutral point type reactionless propulsion research it could easily be just as at home in the water as in the air...

But hey it's not like there were dozens of u boats unaccounted for or thousands of scientists and troops or TENS of THOUSANDS of "aryanized" women.

It's not like there is an entire book series that spawned a CULT movie series spanning DECADES featuring a suave brit with a license to kill and super villians with secret hideouts and super weapons in spades.... (Sir Ian Flemming was on a Technology retrieval team in the SIS during world war 2 that went to continental europe and dropped behind the frontlines to capture nazi research centers... this is where the ideas for the tech and etc in the novels cum movies came from)

It's not like Cutting edge technology technology still looks like their design studies almost three quarters of a century after the end of the war....

But the TRAIN LOADS of still CLASSIFIED documents from the era don't have anything about that kind of technology. (the cia told us and THEY don't LIE)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join