It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Clinton 'worried' by UK defence cuts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Hillary Clinton 'worried' by UK defence cuts

www.guardian.co.uk

The US has made an eleventh hour intervention in the highly charged defence review as Britain's top military brass launched a last ditch attempt to persuade David Cameron to water down the cuts.

Hillary Clinton, the US secretary of state, and Robert Gates, the defence secretary, both voiced concerns about the planned cuts as the heads of Britain's three armed services marched into No 10 in uniform to express unease about plans to cut the Ministry of Defence budget by 10%.

As the prime minister welcomed General David Petraeus to Downing Street, Washington highlighted concerns that Brita
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Utterly amazing!
Since when has it been the business of foreign powers to try and influence our defence budgets? I'd say they were seriously overstepping the mark here in interfering with the decisions of a sovereign state in this way. I though maybe this has something to do with the possible cancellation of the F-35 order - maybe, or maybe something more deep rooted?

Now, Hilary makes the point about NATO being an "alliance for defensive purposes". I find that strange as the NATO deployment in Afghanistan is purely Offensive in nature as no NATO member was ever attacked by Afghanistan!

As for each country being able to make it's appropriate contributions, fair enough, but why are the ultimate commanders of NATO deployments always American? It looks more and more like another branch of the US military and costs the European taxpayers a lot of money in fighting US imperial wars. Our commitment should be to defending this country, NOT spending money just to prop up US arms manufacturers and US wars.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I think Hilary overstepped the mark by doing this publicaly, these types of comments should be made via diplomacy, since they are not, In my opnion some other game/motive is at play.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
What is she 'worried' about? TBH it's not like we have any major threat at the moment so what's the problem?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Yeah, Hillary has been tooting the horn of the UN lately and also blowing the horn of global governance and treaties.. They are trying to make it all happen by every word they speak and every thing they do..

These people feel they are absolutely entitled to command the entire planet.... It is quite unbelievable isn't it?

The whole barrel is rotting at this point...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   
The only threat to world peace is US foreign policy, and that of it's front country Israel. The UK should have stepped away from such deep military ties as soon as the word "Iraq" was mentioned.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Yup, butt the frak out Hillary, it's our budget we'll organise it as we see fit, where does the US get off telling other countries how to live, how to spend and what sort of govt we have.

I've read some old articles from London mags of the late Vic early Ed era and recognise the arrogance of Empire when I see it, I can also recognise the signs of overstretch and decline the US has them all, the times they are a changin.

I think Europe could have a much closer more equal relationship with our neighbor resource rich Russia the none super super power.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

I agree, we have neglected relations with many of the mainland EU countries for years, we should be working on improving these, and working to improve relations with Russia as you say, but also China and India.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I think we have more important things to be spending our limited money on at the moment than buy new war toys. . Someone needs to remind Hilary we are not a military wing of the US. Not like the US shouldn't also be cutting down its military seeing as they now have health care to fund. Interesting to see where the priorities lie

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
That hideous little siren should mind her own business. Hillary Clinton's public remarks, and insulting behaviour to the British government, is due to her inability to separate her partisan beliefs from international affairs. It is clear, the Obama administration objects to a center right government in the United Kingdom - which the Republican party are admiring for our deficit reduction plan.

This repugnant behaviour and disrespectful attitudes is signs of a weak government and a country scrambling to remain significant in the world.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
considering that the US sells lots of top notch weapons to countries, and has a huge industrial military complex, yes the US wants more people buying thier goods..

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Even as an american i find this arrogant as hell. S&F. Soooo when the "elite" are done making all their moves, have achieved global superiority yada yada yada.....what will they do for the second act? Turn on each other?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Maybe it hasn't got anything to do with her but the defence cuts scare the hell out of me too!

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Clinton does not want there to be a perceived lowering of NATO's defences and clearly she would prefer the UK to become a military powerhouse again. But our greatest contributions to a current and potential future Coalition effort will be largely unaffected by defence cuts and in some cases will be vastly improved following defence cuts.

UKSF, the Intelligence Corps amongst other areas of HM Armed Forces are being expanded and we have tricks hidden behind our cufflinks which are protected from cuts and will always be protected from cuts.

Clinton has nothing to worry about in reality and she knows this, it's all posturing to put across the message that NATO is not lowering its guard and will not be lowering its guard any time soon.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Star to ya! Military cuts always seem nerve wracking. With record deficits aconnd economic hardships on both sides of the Atlantic, something needs to be done about the wild spending that both governments have become accustomed to.

Hillary, we know who you are and what your job description is, but you're overstepping your boundaries here. I believe someone needs to tell her that the UK is a developed nation capable of making internal decisions without outside help and she needs to move on to countries that pose a potential threat to its neighbors, like Iran and Norh Korea.

Hillary just wants to be larger than life.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Plain and simple, if countries around the world stop spending large chunks of thier budgets on the military and the world doesn't spin into anarchy then eventually the American people are going to demand the same be done in the US.

It's like an alcoholic whose drinking buddy starts talking about rehab; if the UK has a problem then so does the US.

The MIC cannot allow that to happen.

We can all look forward to another round of 'intelligence failures' and successful 'terrorist' attacks if this measure is continued...whatever it takes to keep the machine rolling.

edit on 15-10-2010 by [davinci] because: Spelling & Content

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I don't know how seriously I can take an article where the author cannot even spell defense...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

I hope that was a joke.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This makes me wonder if Hilary knows something us peons do not.
Perhaps she's suggesting Britian will need that extra 10%
Is there another war on the horizon?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

Brits might want to watch Newsnight on BBC2 right now for a sneak peek of the defence cut situation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join