It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Observations on our Food System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
First let me say, if this has been posted all ready, my apologies. Please direct to current thread and close this if it pertains.

Now that that's out of the way, I would like to present to you, "Birke Baehr." This is a 11 year old young man with some very good observations on just what is wrong with our food system.

It is amazing to me how a youth of this age can see so clearly some of the problems, yet it sails right over the people in the know. Or does it?

I will be the first to admit I would love to eat healthier, but with a limited budget it is very difficult to do. When I have a choice of a .99 cent head of lettuce or a $3.00 head of lettuce and maybe only $50.00 to spend, and family to feed, what choice can I really make? It is hard to get the meat and potatoes on the table, and I also bet some people wish they had the $50.00. With people on fixed incomes, that could be a bounty for them.

Feed the poor the junk. Just because people are short in the pocket, doesn't mean they don't have any brains. Many have had fine homes and fine jobs now to be just left out in the streets at anyone's mercy.

I work hard, why do I have to settle for the cheap peas? It is a vicious circle and our leaders don't care and big business doesn't care either.

If they can afford to put things on sale, why can't it just be that price all the time?

I digress. This video just touched me, but also gave me hope that maybe our future youth may be more on the ball then we give them credit for. I wish this young man was older. He would probably get my vote.

One of his best lines in the video to me? "Do you want to pay the farmer or the hospital?" Very wise words in my humble opinion.

Hopefully you enjoy listening to this young fellow as much as I did.

edit on 15-10-2010 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I have thought about this for awhile as well. Would there be so much food waste if the prices were lower? So much food is just needlessly thrown away. Do we really have such abundance that we can be so nonchalant about wasting it?

I had friend once that worked for the food end of the airlines. She said it was incredible how much food they tossed away because say a flight was canceled or something.This was back in the days when they served hot meals as well. The homeless used to hang around and wait for it until that was put to a end as well. They had to deliberately throw the food in the dumpster, so that the homeless had to fish it out. They couldn't just give it to them because of some stupid legal reasons.What kind of madness is that?

They say you have to pay the farmer, then you have to pay the trucker, then you have to pay blah blah blah. If that is the case, how does the same .50 cent can of peas get to the shelf as the $1.49 can? I mean really, what is it I am missing here?

For a nation that is so concerned about it obesity, what sense does any of this make? Of course people are going to be fat if all they can afford are the foods that keep them that way.

Sorry, but this really crawls up my... well you know

new topics

join