It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Itokawa not in NEO Close Approach table?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I'm probably being a dumb-dumb here! But why is Itokawa (which is at it's closest today!) not listed in the NASA NEO Close Approach table(s) here?:

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

There are plenty of smaller asteroids which don't even get as close listed, but not this rather well known one? Why is that?
It is on their database, the orbit simulation can be found here:

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Just wondered what peoples opinions are on this?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Sorry I was being a duh-duh - someone on another forum has just pointed out to me that it's designated 1998 SF36.

Sorry for wasting everyone's time!

Mod - scrub this thread if you think it's appropiate please!

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
That will please Seekerof he /she /it likes to needlessly lock asteroid threads.....

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Hey there, Itokawa is listed there but not by its name but rather by its object number and designation which is 25143 1998 SF36 .

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

I am sure things are going to be cool with Itokawa.

Asteroid Itakowa is about to fly by Earth. At closest approach (5 lunar distances) on June 26th, it will be about as bright as a 13th magnitude star--an easy target for large backyard telescopes in the southern hemisphere (ephemeris). Japan's Hayabusa spacecraft is en route to Itakowa now. After catching the asteroid in 2005, Hayabusa will gather samples of the space rock and return them to Earth in 2007.

new topics

top topics

join