It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive, 20-state Lawsuit Against Obama Healthcare Proceeds! Justice Dept. Fails!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   

U.S. states can proceed with a lawsuit seeking to overturn President Barack Obama's landmark healthcare reform law, a Florida judge ruled Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Roger Vinson had said at a hearing last month that he would block efforts by the Justice Department to dismiss the lawsuit, led by Florida and 19 other states.

"In this order, I have not attempted to determine whether the line between constitutional and extraconstitutional government has been crossed," Vinson, of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida, wrote in his ruling.

"I am only saying that ... the plaintiffs have at least stated a plausible claim that the line has been crossed," Vinson said.

Opponents of Obama's overhaul of the $2.5 trillion U.S. healthcare system have said it violates the Constitution by imposing what they consider unlawful taxes and requiring citizens to obtain healthcare coverage, among other issues.

www.reuters.com...

Yipee!!! Jail time or fines for the medically uninsured can kiss it. It's total BS! People can't afford heat let alone this sorry ass crap. I hope this suit goes all the way and is proven to be unconstitutional, which I believe 100% that it is.

WHERE in the constitution are powers granted to the federal government allowing them to mandate healthcare coverage nationwide? Hell, those powers shouldn't even be granted to the states! :shk: But hey, this is Amerika.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Yipee!!! Jail time or fines for the medically uninsured can kiss it. It's total BS! People can't afford heat let alone this sorry ass crap. I hope this suit goes all the way and is proven to be unconstitutional, which I believe 100% that it is.

WHERE in the constitution are powers granted to the federal government allowing them to mandate healthcare coverage nationwide? Hell, those powers shouldn't even be granted to the states! :shk: But hey, this is Amerika.

It will be proven unconstitutional. There is no such power granted in the constitution. If these jerks wanted to do something just make insurance affordable. Power hungry idiots.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Unfortunately, it seems the Feds have a Supreme Court precedent to back up their position:

The government’s counter argument is that the likelihood that an individual will need health care at some point means that the decision not to have health insurance impacts the health insurance market overall and can therefore be regulated.

The government’s position was supported by a case in 1942, where a penalty was imposed on a farmer for choosing to grow wheat for his own family’s consumption. The wheat was not being offered for sale in any way, even locally. His decision not to participate in the wheat market was determined to have an impact on that market, not only locally, but also across the country. Therefore, his decision to grow wheat for his own family was determined to have an impact on the federal government’s ability to regulate the price of wheat and the fine was upheld.

So, if you have a garden, uproot it. If a kid wants to sell lemonade made from lemons grown in his back yard this summer, warn him that the feds may come to knock over his stand. Don’t participate in any “buy local” campaigns. In fact, you better not even discuss the potential economic impact of buying locally because your action may influence someone’s purchasing decisions; thereby having a potential impact on interstate commerce and government schemes to regulate prices and the economy in general. Don’t even think about it, because that may influence your own decisions.

Distributist Review

With draconian decisions like that in the Supreme's past, how can we be certain they will overturn this crap.

This is basically the same group of people who upheld that awful Eminent Domain decision, remember?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Unfortunately, it seems the Feds have a Supreme Court precedent to back up their position:

With draconian decisions like that in the Supreme's past, how can we be certain they will overturn this crap.

This is basically the same group of people who upheld that awful Eminent Domain decision, remember?

Yep. I do. Which is why they all should be fired.

But as long as there are judges like this one who rule based upon the merits of a case, there is a fighting chance. We'll see what happens in December.

new topics

top topics

join