It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Stewart interviews Eric Cantor [complete and unedited]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Part 1
Part 2

I watched this today and have got to say I am very impressed. I know many of you will see an obvious liberal slant inherent in Stewart's political ideology. I would describe the man as a humanitarian long before I would a liberal. He has no qualms with calling the left when warranted. His "Rally to Restore Sanity" in Washington D.C. on October 30th should be very informative and I am personally expecting to see good things come of it.

Regardless of your stance on Stewart, you must admit it is refreshing to have an organization that is unafraid to post complete interviews. Their television interviews must be edited due to time constraints. Looking for the ATS community's input. I may attend the rally depending on work constraints. If not, Stewart announced that it would be aired live on their comedy central website, as well as the television channel itself.

Being a native Virginian, I found it to be a very intriguing and enjoyable discussion. Cantor is not my representative of choice, but whose is these days? He is obviously a very well educated man and has been extremely successful in both his political and business ventures. As for Stewart, there's no arguing the man is intelligent and down to Earth.

I always like to get a general background on the people in a discussion. A man's (or woman's) past speaks loads for his reliability, stance and credibility. Here's a direct copy and paste from Wikipedia:
John Stewart:

Early life Stewart was born in New York City to a Jewish family. He and his older brother, Larry Leibowitz (who is presently Chief Operating Officer of the New York Stock Exchange),[12][13] grew up in Lawrenceville, New Jersey, where they attended Lawrence High School.[6] His mother, Marian, is an educational consultant and teacher, and his father, Donald Leibowitz, is a physics professor at The College of New Jersey from 2001 through 2008. He currently teaches an online course at Thomas Edison University.[14] The couple divorced when Stewart was 11-years-old and Stewart no longer has any contact with his father.[6] Stewart has said that he was subjected to anti-Semitic bullying.[7] He describes himself in high school as "very into Eugene Debs and a bit of a leftist."[15] After graduating from the College of William & Mary in 1984, Stewart held numerous jobs. He was a contingency planner for the New Jersey Department of Human Services, contract administrator for City University of New York, puppeteer for children with disabilities, caterer, busboy, shelf stocker at Woolworth's and bartender at a local blue-collar bar, the Franklin Corner Tavern.[6][16][17] During part of this time, Stewart roomed with future congressman Anthony Weiner who to date is the only politician to receive campaign donations from the Daily Show host.[18]
Source

Eric Cantor:

Early life, education and career Cantor was born in Richmond, Virginia. He was graduated from the Collegiate School in 1981, earned a baccalaureate at George Washington University (where he was a member of Phi Sigma Kappa fraternity) in 1985[3] and a juris doctorate from William & Mary Law School in 1988, and received a master of science degree from Columbia University in 1989.[2] As a freshman at George Washington University in 1981, Cantor worked as an intern for House Republican Tom Bliley of Virginia and was Bliley's driver in the 1982 campaign.[4] Cantor worked for over a decade with his family's small business doing legal work and real estate development. [edit] Virginia House of Delegates Cantor served in the Virginia House of Delegates from 1992–January 1, 2001.[2] At various times he was a member of committees on Science and Technology, Corporation Insurance and Banking, General Laws, Courts of Justice, (co-chairman) Claims.[5][6] Cantor announced on March 14, 2000 that he would seek the seat in the United States House of Representatives that was being vacated by Tom Bliley. Cantor had chaired Bliley's reelection campaigns for the previous six years, and immediately gained the support of Bliley's political organization, as well as Bliley's endorsement later in the primary.[7]
Source

Much more information about the two can be found from peer-reviewed sources around the web and on the Wikipedia source links.
For those interested here are links for the original, edited and aired version and the Rally to Restore Sanity, respectively:
Original Aired Interview
Rally to Restore Sanity

Thanks for reading, I look forward to our continuing discussion.
edit on 14-10-2010 by Use your brain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Use your brain

Beautifully said..

"Funny and true", is the best characteristics you can have.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I trust a man who is able to make millions laugh easier than I do your average politician. It's easy to enjoy life when you're not hiding anything. Thanks for the input

On a separate note, I would love to see this rally be a guinea pig of sorts for a John Stewart campaign. I would vote for the man. I've heard various people and sources make the claim that Stewart is unqualified, when that is clearly not the case. William and Mary is a very prestigious institution, and Stewart's experience and knowledge on a wide range of political, social and economic issues is, at times, astounding.

It's rare that I would sing anyone's praises so highly, but the man has proven that he is competent and trustworthy.

join