It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mr. Obama up a Creek without a Shovel?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well we all heard it when they were ready to stick another nail in America's coffin.
"Shovel Ready Projects"
Many of us knew this was BS from the start.

THEN

The term "shovel-ready"—as in, infrastructure projects that are ready or almost ready to begin—has become a favorite of policy makers in recent weeks. As the Senate gets ready to vote on a stimulus bill, it looks like the idea has stuck: The latest bill gives only projects that are able to start construction within 90 days eligibility for funding from the $90 billion set aside for infrastructure. Here is why the shovel-ready mandate could make the infrastructure crisis worse.
The term arrived with all the muscle and blue-collar authority of a bulldozer: "shovel-ready." As in, infrastructure projects that are ready or almost ready to begin, the antithesis of some dimly imagined earmark or budget-sucking bridge to nowhere. Then-president-elect Obama used the term on a December 7th visit to NBC's Meet the Press, describing the kinds of projects that would be supported by the upcoming economic stimulus bill. Soon the phrase was being repeated by policy-makers only an almost daily basis. Now the bill is here, with one version passed by the House, and another being debated by the Senate. "Shovel-ready" isn't language used in the bill, but the House's version, at least, does have an enforceable short-term focus: Only projects that are able to start construction within 90 days of selection are eligible for funding from the $90 billion set aside for infrastructure.

I remember listening to the many speeches about these 'Shovel Ready Projects" and could not believe so many were buying into it the way they were. It just did not make sense.
So here we are two years later and what do we have?

NOW

When the president campaigned for the stimulus package at the start of his presidency, he and others in his administration repeatedly insisted the investments would go to "shovel-ready" projects -- projects that would put people to work right away.

With unemployment hovering near 10 percent nearly two years after President Obama signed his economic stimulus package, Mr. Obama is acknowledging that, despite his campaign promises, "there's no such thing as shovel-ready projects."

"There's going to be a lot of work in this administration just doing things right and making sure that new laws are stood up in the ways they're intended."

WOW
It took them almost two full years to find out what a lot of average Americans already new.
I wonder if he would have admitted to it, if it not for the mid-term elections?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/19514a9b2b4a.jpg[/atsimg]

This should serve as a good laugh.
politicalwire.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

yeah no such thing as a shovel ready project........excuse to waste billions of taxpayer dollars all in the name of the great lie...............much like how the left touts the new deal as the great savior of the 30s..............

but my friends all is not as it seems obama did create "shovel ready jobs" his rhetoric has been nothing but crap and its been up to us "non believers" to shovel the crap thats been comming out of his mouth.........shame we dont get paid for it

edit on 14-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

don't count Obama out, you can never trust in the American voter... to not vote for the complete retard...
In Chicago I have seen Criminals (who everybody knows are criminals) keep on winning.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well 47% of the US does get paid for it. Unfortunately the other 53% pay for it.
Second line

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

sad but true

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
The politicians in DC don't actually do anything productive.

They just talk alot.

Ussually that trick works pretty well to fool the nation full of dummies that exist.

Right now they must be getting a little flustered that people are now starting to get in thier faces.

Last chance boys.

The fun and games are over.

It's probably gonna revert to a heavy handed, guns in you face, people disappear type of dictatorship, with pockets of chaos and anarchy.
edit on 14-10-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Target Earth

Very sad state of affairs we are in isn't it.
So what can we do about it?
I really can not see him winning another term right now but like you said, you never know.
A couple of more entitlement programs, amnesty for the illegal aliens and we are sunk, he won't have just one term, he will be EMPOROR.
So very sad.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium
reply to post by neo96

Well 47% of the US does get paid for it. Unfortunately the other 53% pay for it.
Second line

the fact you believe those numbers, and believe they dont mingle is what makes your statement funny.

As if half the country only receives benefits, and the other half only pays.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Well, you could get involved with politics at the county and state level, and work on getting people who represent your interests elected.

OR you could just complain.

I really can not see him winning another term right now but like you said, you never know.

That obviously depends on MANY unknowns.

A couple of more entitlement programs, amnesty for the illegal aliens and we are sunk, he won't have just one term, he will be EMPOROR.
So very sad.

American politics depends on the illusion of change between the two essentially similar 'parties'. So don't worry, your beloved side of the coin will come up as usual after a term or two. And you can continue to pretend the Republicans represent any of the things they pretend to. And you wont have to DO anything to make any actual CHANGE to the system.

also, it's 'emperor'.
edit on 14-10-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
58 million americans are on social security
43 million americans live on welfare
17 million americans are unemployed

120 million americans actually work

those numbers do jive.........

+/- error margin of a few million
edit on 14-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

You ASSUME WAY TOO MUCH

Here I will join you.

Go back to your Progressive liberal blogs. No political correctness on this thread. I am sure before long we will be talking about making your kids read the Bible and Praying in Public schools. It might lead to why Gay people should not be married, and why criminals should be working on the chain gang out in the hot sun. Or we might start talking about the UNTHINKABLE...........................................
GLEN BECK

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   

So very sad.

Your correct of-course, Obama wants to be King and his shovel ready jobs,,, are for his serf's to build his new golf-course and Michelle's big garden, next will be their new castle some place away from you troubling and smelly little people.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/69138124c184.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
No offense to the OP but this is just a Republican talking point the Republicans have been talking about all day. I agree that government wastes money.....but this is just a thread to vent, not to provide concrete facts to show any valid point.

In other words, show me the money!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
No offense to the OP but this is just a Republican talking point the Republicans have been talking about all day. I agree that government wastes money.....but this is just a thread to vent, not to provide concrete facts to show any valid point.

Um the big justification for the stimulus was to provide "shovel ready" jobs. For the last year or so, the democrats have been badgering about "shovel ready" jobs being created.. Now there is no such thing according to Obama?

This is not just the normal government waste, this is a near trillion dollar con on the American people. A trillion dollars and not only does the "shovel ready" jobs not exist, but the trillion dollars did not create any jobs at all. Maybe the stimulus saved some government union jobs and propped up some government pensions, but that is a far cry from creating "shovel ready" jobs.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Valid point?
Here ya go:
They told a bunch of ignorant people just what they wanted to hear and they fell for it. Now we are 900 billion further in debt and nothing to show for it.
Show you the money? I CAN'T, THEY'VE SPENT IT ALL!!!
edit on 14-10-2010 by Quadrivium because: spelling

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
We have a shovel ready project going on in our town right now.

Yep, the government is here, They put up a huge sign right outside city hall.

What are they doing? They are replacing the huge drainage pipes under a road downtown.

Everytime I see them working, I wonder how much in debt the city is now, and how much our taxes are going to go up.

They didn't hire anybody local either. I don't where the workers came from.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sodakota

are the drainage pipes needed?

who requested them?

where is the funding coming from?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sodakota

Undocumented workers?
just saying.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutone

Um the big justification for the stimulus was to provide "shovel ready" jobs. For the last year or so, the democrats have been badgering about "shovel ready" jobs being created.. Now there is no such thing according to Obama?

This is not just the normal government waste, this is a near trillion dollar con on the American people. A trillion dollars and not only does the "shovel ready" jobs not exist, but the trillion dollars did not create any jobs at all. Maybe the stimulus saved some government union jobs and propped up some government pensions, but that is a far cry from creating "shovel ready" jobs.

Yes, but you miss the point of the post you are responding to. He appears to be asking for the substantial answers to these problems. Not just the scapegoat of the day that keeps us from seeing the root fo the problem. It would appear threads like this like yelling about Obama or even the Democrats, but it appears short on substantive solutions to these problems.

Merely yelling bot e current party in a majority is nonsense, as it implies the minority party is a solution. Clearly no one educated could pretend the Republicans are an answer to Americas problems. So what ARE the solutions, in your own words? How do we get to THERE from HERE? Specifically. not talking points.
edit on 15-10-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join