It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Prison guard's attorney Blames Abu Ghraib prosecutions on 'public opinion, pressure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The US army has announced another change to its investigations into the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal. It is appointing a more senior general to take charge of the probe into the role played by military intelligence interrogators at the prison. Meanwhile, an attorney for one of the soldiers accused in the Abu Ghraib prison scandal told the investigative officer Friday that the Army -- not his client -- "should take the blame."

CNN

In his final remarks at an Article 32 hearing, similar to a civilian grand jury, for Spec. Sabrina Harman, Frank Spinner said she "was caught in a very difficult situation as a young soldier."

"This young woman should [never] have been put in that environment," he said. "I think the Army set her up. I think the Army should take the blame."

Speaking after the hearing, Spinner said he had "no doubt that Iraqi detainees have been physically abused on a wide scale that would be beyond the military's ability ever to prosecute."

"The chain of command, they know it too, and the problem is that people won't step up and admit it," he said. "To do it now would only subject them to prosecution."

At the same time, he said, "I am loath to condemn our soldiers and Marines where these things have happened. I think the prosecution of these cases is just gut reaction to public opinion and pressure."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Aren't we all responsible for our own actions??? Just because she's a younger soldier doesn't mean she has to humiliate those men, and posing for pictures with a smile on her face...

[edit on 26-6-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Yes. I think these individuals are showing their lack of integrity every time they open their mouths. They will never convince me that they were ordered to have $h!t-eating grins on their face while they posed with pyramids of naked men, or got cheek-to-cheek with a beat-up dead corpse.

They need to shut up before I hunt them down and give them a big Valhallian slap that knocks their teeth out of their lying heads.

df1

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Abu Ghraib officer describes ‘pressure’ to extract information
By USA Today staff
The officer who oversaw interrogations at Abu Ghraib prison near Baghdad testified that he was under intense “pressure” from the White House, Pentagon and CIA last fall to get better information from detainees, pressure that he said included a visit to the prison by an aide to national security adviser Condoleezza Rice.
www.navytimes.com...

Soldier: Commander Tried to Change Test
By MATT GOURAS -- Associated Press Writer
A National Guard commander told a mental health counselor to change an evaluation to show that a serviceman who accused fellow soldiers of abusing Iraqi prisoners was mentally unfit, another soldier says.
www.guardian.co.uk...

I never cease to be amazed at how american citizens are in steadfast denial of the fact that the atrocities that occurred in Iraqi prisons were directed and ordered from the top down, despite repeated evidence demonstrating that this is so. Imagine yourself a low ranked "20 something" soldier thousands of miles away from home with your commander ordering you to do the unthinkable. I can not prove it, but I strongly believe the smiles you have seen in the photos and video footage are not the smiles of joy, but rather the smiles of desperation needed to survive the vulgar acts they were forced to perform. We would all like to think that we are morally above doing the heinous acts these soldiers were forced performed, but do we really know what we would do in a similar situation.

It is time that americans demand that the evildoers in the white house and the pentagon be held accountable for their actions. I have provided several links supporting my position, but I suspect that they will be dismissed with trite nitpicking like most of the solid evidence that has been presented by those with the courage to tell us the truth.

I make no excuse for the actions of the torturers and believe they should be punished. But lets not allow those that engineered these atrocities to escape the result of their actions blamelessly. To do so is nothing but cowardice.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Rumpsfeld wanted permission to use torture methods that his covert ops guys were using in Afghanistan and other places around the world. Ashcroft delivered a sick, evil memo arguing that it was legal to torture prisoners. Rumpsfeld's ops were then sent to and floating around at Abu Grabe in false military dress and using bogus names and encouraging young untrained military recruits to commit acts of torture to get information.

It is consistent with the Bush administration's attitude that people don't matter, after all Bush knows he was chosen by God (not by US voters) to run the country. To him it doesn't matter how many Americans, Iraqis or anyone else dies, is injured, or made to be criminals as long as he gets to parade himself as a 'wartime' president. With incidents in multiple sites in Iraq, in Afghanistan, Guantanimo(sp?), and abuses by the Justice department here in the US how can people not see that this is an across the board administation policy?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Rumpsfeld wanted permission to use torture methods that his covert ops guys were using in Afghanistan and other places around the world. Ashcroft delivered a sick, evil memo arguing that it was legal to torture prisoners. Rumpsfeld's ops were then sent to and floating around at Abu Grabe in false military dress and using bogus names and encouraging young untrained military recruits to commit acts of torture to get information.

It is consistent with the Bush administration's attitude that people don't matter, after all Bush knows he was chosen by God (not by US voters) to run the country. To him it doesn't matter how many Americans, Iraqis or anyone else dies, is injured, or made to be criminals as long as he gets to parade himself as a 'wartime' president. With incidents in multiple sites in Iraq, in Afghanistan, Guantanimo(sp?), and abuses by the Justice department here in the US how can people not see that this is an across the board administation policy?

That's a pretty simple judgment for you to make considering it's not your ass on the line if something should go wrong. If security comes at the price of Khalid Sheik Muhammed and Abu Zubaydeh having some less than comfortable experiences, I won't lose any sleep. In fact, I find it quite comical.

It's been said that you can't torture information out of people, it just doesn't work. They say they give false information and just say what the torturer wants them to say. The truth is, that all depends on who's being tortured. People who really don't know anything are the ones giving the false information, that which the tortured thinks his torturer wants to hear. Abdul Hakim Murad is an example of how information can be tortured out of someone, albeit in a very unconventional way.

www.radio4all.org...

top topics

join