It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White women portrayed as sex objects to be taken by minorities

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

As far as cartoon appeal hands down I'm going with Jasmine from Aladdin!
Way better looking than Belle or Sleeping Beauty or even Snow White.
Now the racist aspects of the movies?
There's alot of it like you mentioned, and to be honest these are crap movies though, remember theyre made to make a profit and certain people/actors/writers with access to getting them done are going to pitch whatever they can to stay in the loop with the production houses.
Looking to hollywood for ANY kind of intelligence or compass is only going to get you disappointed in the end.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Didn't mean to attack you directly, as I took the "racism machine" from the last post I read, which happened to be yours. I found the movies to be as enjoyable as any stoner movie I've seen in years. I'm a friend of that wonderful plant as well. My apologies for any negativity that seemed to be directed solely at you, hermano. I just dislike seeing people up in arms over the simplest of things, specifically when the underlying social commentary is that racism in any form is tantamount to stupidity. To each their own I guess. Hasta luego amigo.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Theys comin fo yo white women

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/158fd1f257b5.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d32309a0d075.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Perhaps white women are more desirable.
Perhaps at one time, in the colonial days, they were seen as forbidden fruit.

I live near a large secondary school here in the south side of Glasgow
It has a high percentage of asian pupils mostly of Pakistani origin.
In all my time here I have never seen a white boy with an asian girlfriend.
Yet It is a common sight to see asian boys hanging around with white girls.

I wonder why this is so.
Are those asian girls so unattractive?
Or is there something else going on.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Use your brain

Well I apologize for the "defensiveness" I was wrong in that aspect. You did bring up a good point which is, lighten up. I'm an Aries so forgive me, I shoot from the hip often, trying to learn

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Use your brain
A quick correction, the Korean's love interest is Hispanic.

There are plenty of white Hispanics. Come to Spain, and you'll find millions of them.

I'm only being pedantic; I assume what you mean is that she's a mestizo or part Indian.

Originally posted by Use your brain
Imagine how brown folk have felt for the past 1000 years then wipe your tears away.

What possible relevance has this got in 2010 ?

What ''brown folk'' ( how arrogant to group millions of individuals together as sharing the same experiences, based on their skin colour ) have felt over the last 1000 years is irrelevant, just as it's irrelevant what ''white folk'', ''black folk'' and any other coloured folk have felt over the same time period.

None of us alive today ( regardless of our race ) had anything to do with anything, good or bad, that people did in the past.

edit on 14-10-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by midicon

From my experience, the older generations of Asians (if I may generalize in such a manner) still grasp at the race straws much like older generations of Caucasians and Blacks and Hispanics. An Asian woman's actions reflect on her family in a much more direct manner than the actions of the males. This can be seen in Arab culture as well, hence the extended protection of her, and thus the family's honor. Imagine a white woman in 1958 decides to date a black man, what would 90% of the white community think about that in those days?

I dated a half Japanese, half Thai girl when I was working on my BA in international studies. We could not have been more identical in mindset and we were both as attracted to each other as could be. Her mother and grandparents disliked me from the start, simply based on the fact that I am not of Asian descent (more specifically, Japanese descent). Her father was much cooler with me, considering he dealt with much of the same stress due to his Thai background. Things never worked out between us and the hostility from her family did nothing but exacerbate the situation.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Thanks for picking that apart for me, as I was trying my hardest to put forth an academically-acceptable overview of race relations in the context of modern cinema. Of course I meant mestizo, as the term Hispanic in the U.S. rarely refers to the European Spanish. I'm glad you at least gave me the benefit of the doubt there.

Furthermore, when I say "brown people" I refer to anyone who would not check the caucasian box on government forms (apart from Asians). It's funny that I get called out for saying brown people, when that is the term most commonly used by Hispanic (mestizo in origin) and Black men and women that I am friends or acquaintances with. I see the OP has been successful in dragging this out into a nit-picking race-fest. I was merely trying to convey my point that neither of those movies are racist in any manner. The only salient point that can be taken from either is that racism in any form is tantamount to stupidity (as I think I mentioned before).

I DO CONCEDE to the fact that I used thousands of years of oppression and racism as an excuse for further racism, regardless of the race. That comment was shot from the hip. I do not condone any racism, regardless of the excuse. I was, however, trying to point out the fact that Caucasians are the least picked on from the standpoint of our media. My bad on that one.
edit on 14-10-2010 by Use your brain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I hardly watch any movies anymore, but I understand what the OP is describing here because it's a typical conquest, kill the males and take their women.
I also see an attack on the white man, and if it's a Christian white male you can consider it a double whammy. I've been noticing this for some time now, and I'm Hispanic.

It's as if the plan is to destroy the white man and many just grin, step aside and allow it to happen.

So maybe it's not a good idea to have illegals learn English, they might start stealing American white women too.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I once read an interesting article about a theory of the appearance of white skinned blonde, haired
blue eyed people in prehistoric times. It stated that most if not all people were Dark skinned, with
black hair and black or brown eyes....then came the white people and the dark skinned men listening
to their instinctive nature to protect females fell for the white women because they thought something
was wrong with them (hurt or somehow special and needed extra attention). It was an interesting
article, wish I still had the link.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
You can have all my white women, I've come for all these exotic women...

Perhaps we could set up an exchange? I mean I love me some white girl, but I love me some exotic as well, if not a lil more...

I just desire the pretty ones, all the pretty, pretty ones, will leave me low and blow my mind?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Great I take a five hour nap and wake up to find minority stoners are running rampant and trying to steal white women? I hope it wasn't my turn to guard the nunnery...

Seriously, this is not new. Rap videos have been portraying this since the early eighties.

And, even more seriously, not only is it just a movie - but it's also no big deal. White women, like any other women on the planet, will make their dating choices for their own reasons and not because Harold and Kumar told them to.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
You have to look at this kind of movie from an historical perspective. In the western world, at least, white men have usually held the dominant positions and most of the power in most societies. A distant second to them were white women and after women all people of color.

Look at movie history. In 99% of them white men are portrayed as heroes. The "bad guys" are often also white, of course -- in fact most movies until relatively recently didn't seem to recognize non-whites at all except as servants and often as Latina temptresses -- "bad" women in other words.

Even the "blaxploitation" films of the seventies and eighties, which were meant to appeal to African American audiences, portrayed black people in stereotypical terms -- pimps, gangsters, thugs etc. Threatening figures, which made white people nervous but did not do much to promote a positive image of black people and in the end just reinforced old prejudices and stereotypes.

In light of this overwhelmingly white world that has been portrayed throughout movie history, a film like the one described in this thread (I haven't seen it so I'm just going on the descriptions posters have given) is probably experienced by its makers as an act of daring. A crossing of boundaries into forbidden territory. It is probably MEANT to shock people, especially white people who make up much of its audience.

Like it or not, we white people are living in a world where we will soon be sharing power with those of other ethnicities. This fact is, I believe, one that a lot of white males in particular feel threatened by, and so the hypersensitivity to any portrayal at all of white people in anything other than glowing terms. Justice Sotomayor's innocent statement about a "wise Latina woman" comes to mind as an instance when anything that seemed even slightly critical of white men was blown out of all proportion and portrayed as an outrage.

I do not personally care for racism or sexism in any form, and so do not approve of white-bashing or sexual humiliation, in the movies or anywhere else. But looking at the matter from an historical perspective, I think a movie like this one is not a real threat to white people or even the supremacy of white men just because most of its white characters are either idiots or sex objects.

In trying to right the balance of power people can go to the other extreme. But that is to be expected. A certain amount of outrageous, satirical or deliberately offensive jesting is just part of that.

My opinion is that it will take a lot more than one or two films and some bad jokes to make me feel personally threatened. The mighty don't like to be ridiculed or scorned, but that is part of the price one pays for dominance. Relax and enjoy the humor. Harold and Kumar are not likely to harm anything but your pride.
edit on 14-10-2010 by Sestias because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I have to strongly disagree with almost all of you. Harold and Kumar part II was NOT a good movie. They clearly phoned in the scripted jokes and just banked on riding in on the coattails of their previous success. Aside from that, there is something to what you are saying but the implications aren't that vast. More likely than not, when the two guys who wrote this script the day from start to finish the day before their deadline, they probably just projected their own desires. Nothing far reaching.

This strikes a chord with me but only just barely. If you expanded it to common themes in today's commercials and advertising everywhere I would be more inclined to agree with you OP. It seems like a slam dunk for ad agencies to cast a white guy to be the dumb buffoon while guy of _______ race is the intelligent friend who lovingly and condescendingly corrects him. I don't think even the ad agencies do it because of an agenda against the white race (as I used to work in one and it is a very, very white dominated business) but because it is easier to portray white people as dumb and not deal with the fallout of marches and protests against racism in commercials.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Really? With all the movies and TV shows that depict Hispanic and Black women as drug addicted, single mothers; HIspanic and Black men as gang members and drug dealers; Asian men as weak nerds; and Asian women as dragon ladies, prostitutes, skilled in the sexual arts; this movie is your line?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

It's just a movie. It's a really, really bad comedy that is good in its' own right.

I don't see your point. Any rational person knows that characters like Creepshow and the Douchebag Cop are not representative of a larger population.

If you take a typical stoner movie with all white people and reverse the roles, you get the Harold and Kumar movies. Don't believe me? Look at movies like "National Lampoon's Senior Trip" in which the cast is 99% white and the only minority present is an African American bookworm.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Seems like a lot of sensitive feelings all around but the OP does have a point in the general sense.
Social programming is an ongoing process and has been an active part of politics,the media and Hollywood for decades.
Contrary to popular belief though, it isn't about "stealin the white women" or "empowering the downtrodden." it's about making money and manipulating public opinion for political and economic reasons.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Well I just got done watching Larry the Cable Guy on CMT and find it offensive that he portrays all white men as stupid, oafish, redneck hillbillies with limited IQs, and this was being done by a comedian who himself may be a stupid, oafish, redneck hillbilly of limited IQ (then again he's the one laughing all the way to the bank!)

Should I be offended? It's comedy, cripes sake, nothing to get all butt-hurt over. If you find Harold and Kumar depictions of white women/black men offensive then god forbid you should get ahold of some Richard Pryor!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Except that Larry the Cable Guy is really failed comedian, Dan Whitney.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join