It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is a carbine fine the way it is?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I love to modify things. I hate stock parts that are weak or lacking. I will gladly change out the motor in my truck for a bigger and better one.

But there seems to be quite a debate between carbine purists and people loking to make carbines cool.

The biggest weapon in the crosshairs of this debate has to be the SKS. There are lists of options for the rifle and the posibilities are endless for it. However, does this indeed make the rife better?

I note that there are almost no options for the Mosin-Nagant or the mighty M1. Is this strictly due to the range differance on the weapons? Or is there a better reason that you can buy an SKS and give it all the pop and sparkle of the famed and loved AK-47?

Lastly, does converting the SKS really do anything to the weapon other than make it cooler when you bring it to the range? Or is adopting a combat scope, folding stock and 30 round clip like sticking a big block 454 into a 1988 Oldsmobile?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Reply to post by Jkd Up

Unless you're going to bed that new stock or do a trigger job or find a way to get a match barrel on that SKS by and large all of those modifications are cosmetic.

Maybe a foregrip can increase control, maybe that new stock can fit you better but without actually working the parts of the rifle that matter like the action, trigger and barrel you arent going to see any functional improvements.

But playing tacti-cool dress up has it's own superficial value. Do running lights make the car function any better? Nope. But they sure look neat.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Great input (as always)! And the quickness that you respond to just about any of my posts can leave only one question in my head.... Do you EVER sleep?!?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

thisguyrighthere certainly has a point when it comes to cosmetic revamps of carbine rifles. Some stocks and foregrips do help with ergonomics. Multiposition stocks tend to adjust to the shooters clothing, backpack straps, or armor. Some are shaped to sit on the top of the shoulder while still maintaining a backstop to the recoil.

There are also foregrips. I don't like them. I do like magazine well grips...But you're only going to be able to find them for M4 type carbines...

Everything you put on your rifle should have a function that is beneficial to you. It's one thing to wanna trick out your carbine, it's another to make it essentially useless with too much tacti-cool.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
You need to be very, very careful if you plan on tinkering around with an SKS, especially if it's one of the recent Yugo 59/66 models.

Enthusiasts argue about this topic year on year, but here's a rough summary and I'll use the Yugo as the specific vehicle.

The 59/66 was imported into the US as a Curio & Relic - that status removes if from the provisions of importation regulation 922(r). If you then make ANY change to the weapon, it immediately loses its C&R "protection" and once again becomes liable to 922(r).

Prohibited features will then include:

01. Grenade launcher
02. Grenade launcher sight
03. Night sights
04. Bayonet
05. Bayonet lug

And a 59/66 has every single one of these, additionally 922(r) requires you to play the "10 or less" game, whereby your rifle cannot have more than 10 imported parts.

Therefore in order to bring your SKS into 922(r) compliance you have two choices. Either remove all prohibited features as listed above or bring your weapon into compliance by having no more than 10 items from the imported parts list.

The literal interpretation of the various laws did at one time make it illegal to remove a bayonet from a Yugo SKS, and illegal to fit one to a Chinese SKS - it may still, they are very complex.

Get it wrong, and it's 10 years in jail.

So you'll perhaps understand why I recommed that you contact J&G Sales in Prescott and have them ship you a cheap WASR AK-47 for $400 and save yourself from the following :

a) About $300 (rebuilds never work out cheaper)
b) An SKS that doesn't feed reliably from a 30 round magazine
c) A lot of personal time
d) A felony conviction

Your call, but don't say you weren't warned

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

the shoulder stock is a little short on the sks for me,but i'm use to it. As far as the sights,they say iron sights on the sks cant be beat. I guess a scope is an ok thing,but i hear they are a pain in the a** to mess with. Modifying the body is probably a good thing.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
SKS is a rifle and can shoot accurately out to 250-300 yards. Iron sights are fine out to 100 yards but much past that you'll need a scope to stay on target. 4X will do fine.
Folding stock might be handy if you need to stow it somewhere (I have one on both my AK's).
Anything besides that is generally a waste, spend any extra money on bullets and get some quality time at the range learning to shoot at different distances,
30 round mags are too long and heavy, go for the 20 round.
See you at the range

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
In a survival situation, if it shoots fine, then don't waste money on modifications. It will get the job done as is. Rather, spend your money on other survival gear, ammo, rations, etc.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Excellent points. I think many are unaware of these regulations.

Counting Parts for 922(r)

The specific pages are:

* AK Family rifles
* FAL Rifles
* G3/CETME Rifles
* Saiga Rifles (Yes, they're really AK's, but I've had more than one person get confused)
* SKS Rifles

It has a useful checklist that contains all the parts which 922(r) is concerned with.

Everyone needs to understand 922r. This is one of those "Gotcha" laws. Ten years in club fed for a pistol grip.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I was using that SKS as an instance, however, it does seem to be the most modifiable. Basically, I'm getting the gyst that all the add ons would be for the C.D.I. factor (Chicks Dig It) and hold no value. That appears true seeing how the SKS has a slew of offerings and similar carbines such as the M1 and the Mosin Nagant do not.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

Awesome Awesome Awesome info! I like seeing that! So basically, just by messing with the rifle at all nigates it's ability to be owned and can land you in the clink for 10 years. Seems pretty cut and dry for the Yugo!

Thanks again for the great post! Star!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
i think the m4 carbine is not fine the way it is. It looks good, but it has the problem of getting hot from firing, then shoots off the round that goes into the chamber either after reloading or shooting say half the clip. Longer barrels sometimes will increase accuracy but decrease speed and shorter barrels vice versa. obviously a larger clip is better, id also rather have some type of a scope and a hand grip with an adjustable stock.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up
reply to post by Retseh

Awesome Awesome Awesome info! I like seeing that! So basically, just by messing with the rifle at all nigates it's ability to be owned and can land you in the clink for 10 years. Seems pretty cut and dry for the Yugo!

Thanks again for the great post! Star!

You're welcome - but it's not just the Yugo, they happen to be the most common variant. My advice is simple, if you want an SKS, get one, just keep it stock. If you want an AK, don't try and turn an SKS into one, many of them never run right with a 30 round magazine anyway, and AKs are so cheap now why would you bother?

If you REALLY want the Chicks Dig It factor - consider making your own AK receiver (it's really just bent metal) from a kit and then constructing the rest of the weapon from parts - it's 100% legal, and very cool if you have a few skills.

top topics

join