It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is love, is love the answer to what ails our world?.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rustami
Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.

What you say can be seen in so many who set aside their own safety to save others

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2theC

Love is real, real is love
Love is feeling, feeling love
Love is wanting to be loved

Love is touch, touch is love
Love is reaching, reaching love
Love is asking to be loved

Love is you
You and me
Love is knowing
We can be

Love is free, free is love
Love is living, living love
Love is needing to be loved

Thanks for the song
Love John Lennon

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster

Originally posted by artistpoet

Originally posted by NorEaster
reply to post by artistpoet

Which definition are you trying to nail down?

I love ice cream.
I love my job.
Love is a many splendored thing.
I love my wife.
Love thy neighbor as thyself.

The English language has many words that have mulitple meanings and applications. The word Love is one of those words. Narrow down the definition first, the specific definition you're concerned with. Then maybe I can help you.

Yes get you - I was thinking about unconditional love.
Like what has been said of the love between a Mother and child
Or discuss the idea of a higher intelligent love
Cheers

edit on 14-10-2010 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

The short answer is that Love is what we feel when we instinctively realize that we've connected with what it will take to satisfy our base survival imperative.

As corporeal matrixes, we feel it when we connect with another human being that will enable us to move our genetic identity forward within the corporeal matrix of offspring - ensuring that our corporeal selves will likely be physically represented (through contextual identity we share with that offspring - DNA basically) beyond our allotted stretch of time as viable assemblies.

"Spiritual" love is felt by our generated Intellect selves, when we realize that we've found a potential means to continue to develop beyond the death of our corporeal Intellect generators. Very complicated, but with the death of the brain, the further development of the Intellect (spiritual) self ceases, and the human being is fully "grown". That end of development, and progressive physical gathering of units of Intellect, leaves the collected mass wanting more, and that want is felt in the same way that the corporeal want for a mate feels. Love starved is a good word for it.

As far as Agape Love is concerned, this is a very different kind of expression, and isn't related to the satiation of need. It is a feminine expression of Intellect (relatively speaking), and only the Intellect generating brain (I call it human regardless of what it looks like or where it calls home) is capable of generating this expression. In fact, true Agape Love is extremely rare and most human brains are incapable of generating it. Even when it is generated, it is never for more than a very short burst. Like a trout flipping through the air before falling back into the life-giving depth of a northern lake. Too much of that fresh air and the trout is dinner.

Love is fascinating, and is the only noun that can be an antonym of itself.

Yes Love is about survival - Hate can not achieve this. One cherishes and nurtures while the other resents and destroys.-
I found it a bit difficult to get my head around what you are saying at first but after re reading it I find your view point very interesting - I really like your example of the Trout - Reminds me of the Celtic - Salmon of knowledge which I should read up on - Thank you.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I really liked the offspring analogies and brings a few scriptures to mind-

By oppression and judgment he was taken away. And who can speak of his descendants? For he was cut off from the land of the living; for the transgression of my people he was stricken.-Isaiah53.8

children are destitute
because the enemy has prevailed." -Lamentations1.15

your sons come from afar,
and your daughters are carried on the arm.-60.3

The wolf will live with the lamb, the leopard will lie down with the goat, the calf and the lion and the yearling together; and a little child will lead them.-Isaiah11.6

In other words, it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring.-Romans9.8

Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all-Colossians3.11

edit on 15-10-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Thanks for the post - Rustami
To me some writings in the Bible are like pure poetry at it's very best.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   

thanks I totally agree, here are a few more I think show unconditional love

for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls-Romans9.11

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.-1Corinthians7.14

And he will turn
The hearts of the fathers to the children,
And the hearts of the children to their fathers,
Lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.” -Malachi4.5

Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.-Matthew11

The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other-Luke18.11

One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.-Romans14.5

edit on 15-10-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I made a thread quite similar to this, but anyway..

Yes. Yes it is. And it has nothing to do with love between two human beings or sex (although it may lead to sex
). Actually, sex can be seen as the manifestation of love, which actually leads to babies. So, life is the product of love. It's more like an universal glue, that holds everything together. It's the reason for all existence. It has to be realized, understood.

All life feeds from this divine "love".

Also, it's a word with a great charge. We all have it, but we're so stuffed with negative BS that we don't necessarily receive it like we should.
edit on 16/10/2010 by Tryptych because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

I forgot these key ones also they kind of glue it all together in a drive through world kinda way

And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.”-1Peter

your land will be married.
As a young man marries a maiden,
so will your sons marry you;
as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride,
so will your God rejoice over you.-Isaiah62

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I think that "sin" could be seen as things that we do when we harm ourselves. It's basically ignorance. "Hell is separation from God". Means, "Hell" is separation from the Divine. Without it, we're lost. "It" (Divinity, "god") is the spiritual guiding light for us. Sin could be seen as human stupidity, not realizing the consequences of our actions.

If it turns out that we're here alone (no ETs), it means that humankind is somehow special ("..in his own image"). I'm not "Christian" btw.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rustami

I forgot these key ones also they kind of glue it all together in a drive through world kinda way

And above all things have fervent love for one another, for “love will cover a multitude of sins.”-1Peter

your land will be married.
As a young man marries a maiden,
so will your sons marry you;
as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride,
so will your God rejoice over you.-Isaiah62

Thanks for your posts - very interesting
It is an interesting idea to consider what the word "Marriage" means on a deeper level.
I consider it be as bond.
This why Christians such as nuns say they are married to Christ.
Also from another perspective matter and energy are married
As has been said Love is the glue that hold things together in mutual respect of life itself.
There are many types of love or degrees or refinement
If we believe in a Creator and or a creative force then this is what I would term as a higher love.
Unconditional love is a quality of this force - Unconditional love is a very deep idea to consider.
It is impartial and weathers any storm. It never sets itself above another for it understands all are equal in it's eyes. Though in saying this it is understood that different people are at different stages of understanding.
I am sure we can all give examples of what love is and I welcome all sincere ideas

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tryptych
I think that "sin" could be seen as things that we do when we harm ourselves. It's basically ignorance. "Hell is separation from God". Means, "Hell" is separation from the Divine. Without it, we're lost. "It" (Divinity, "god") is the spiritual guiding light for us. Sin could be seen as human stupidity, not realizing the consequences of our actions.

If it turns out that we're here alone (no ETs), it means that humankind is somehow special ("..in his own image"). I'm not "Christian" btw.

Thanks for your responses - It is obvious that you are passionate about what you believe.
Regarding sin - I think many things are done in ignorance.
I think you "Hit the nail on the head" when you speak of seperation.
Hate looks to divide - Love seeks to unite.
We need to look deeper within and to be honest about our own motives and attitudes.
I do not refer to any posters in particular by the way.
It is something I am consider and am learning about

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join