It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Botched euthanasia leaves dog owner in quandary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:05 AM
link   

REDFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. — A suburban Detroit man whose Rottweiler was given a new leash on life after surviving a botched euthanasia said he has neither the heart nor the money to try the procedure again. Redford Township resident Matt Olivarez, 27, said he's in a tough spot: facing possible home foreclosure while at the same time trying to do right by Mia, an 11-year-old pooch that he feeds by hand, partly because of her spinal problem that makes walking difficult

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Having had a Rott of my own that I cherished and needed to be put to rest, this story really hit the soft spot in me.
I know I would feel the same as the owner does now and could not bring myself to try the procedure again.

If only we had not cremated my Gretta who knows...

~meathead
edit on 14-10-2010 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

I just saw it on the news.
It's an awful shame what that Vet is putting this owner through.
The dog seemed happy about being back home.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tribble

If I was the dog I would be happy too!

The poor thing was at the vet, moments away from the eternal slumber, and the next thing he knows hes home with daddy waiting for his hand fed dinner !

With all the doom and gloom that the msm bombards us with it was nice to read such a wonderful story. I know I am a biased dog lover, but it warms the cockles of my heart to think of the joy this freakishly random event created.

I know cats are supposed to have 9 lives, maybe this dog had a bi-racial ancestor....

~meathead
edit on 14-10-2010 by Mike Stivic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. I hope the dog isn't suffering but sounds like it is, that's why it was put to sleep in the first place.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I have to say rottie's are my favorite breed of dog and it's kinda crazy how you can screw up a lethal injection... That being said though I still think the dog needs to be put to sleep, 11 years for a dog is kinda rough and with it's current health problems it's probably in a lot of pain....

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I understand your point completely, Gretta eventually lost the use of her hind legs altogether, at that point it was really the only humane thing to do,she was becoming very overweight and I could see it in her eyes she was unhappy.

But I also find it heartwarming that the dog was given one more chance to have its belly rubbed and ears scratched..And, I know if I was the owner I would be overwhelmed with emotions.

~meathead

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

Mine too!

and it is a pretty "simple" procedure to botch up. Notice in the article they say the dose may have been watered down?

Brings back memories of the scene in the movie the green mile when chauncy(?) doesnt wipe down the guys head with the wet sponge...

although its probably not so sadistically motivated, I would venture a guess it was probably a cost reducing/profit increasing scheme gone afoul.

either way I know I would give all that I own for another day with my princess...

~meathead

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike Stivic

But I also find it heartwarming that the dog was given one more chance to have its belly rubbed and ears scratched..And, I know if I was the owner I would be overwhelmed with emotions.

I agree. It's like the dog's come back to say- oi, i didn't say goodbye properly yet

Shame the vet wants paid to do the job again, if the article reads correctly. He should be footing the bill himself.
On a more sinister note. How many other dogs have woken up, in a strange place, from a botched euthanasia? Not every owner takes their poor pooch home for burial.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Shame the vet wants paid to do the job again, if the article reads correctly. He should be footing the bill himself.

yes i would think it would be a very bad P.R. move for the vet to not offer the service for free... Although I as the dog owner probably would not go back to that particular vet with that dog or any other..If they are diluting drugs in this instance whose to say they are not diluting other shots as well such as vaccinations etc...

On a more sinister note. How many other dogs have woken up, in a strange place, from a botched euthanasia? Not every owner takes their poor pooch home for burial.

You bring up another point here that does indeed bother me... I stated earlier that I had gretta cremated, But had I not,I cringe to think of my baby waking up under those circumstances.

Thank you, Wigit, for your thoughtful replies

~meathead

new topics

top topics

join