It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In wrong hands, both science and religion cause harm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm sick of individuals here in ATS claiming religion is the root of all evil, so I will leave you with the title and the article to ponder with.

I fully agree with the article, that there is the right hand, and then there is the wrong hand. Any thought, any idea, any system can be catastrophic at the wrong hands, so stop blaming ideas, rather blame the people who misuse those ideas:

Remember that Germany, at the time the most scientifically rational nation, used its proud techno-superiority to bring us two world wars and the Holocaust. In addition, two non-religious "scientifically based" communist societies, the Soviet Union and China, created a body count 10 times that of the Holocaust on their own people. Then, of course, who can forget the saintly quest to scientifically purify the races with eugenics?

www.usatoday.com...

Read the whole article and ponder.

What do you guys think?

Do you guys believe ideas/thoughts/systems are the root of all evil, or is evil the root of all evil?

oz

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Evil is a word we use for expression. I can easily blame anybody and any idea and they can do the same to me. No one is innocent.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
Evil is a word we use for expression. I can easily blame anybody and any idea and they can do the same to me. No one is innocent.

Does that mean religion is not the root of all evil

I'm lost by your post

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I don't think that science or religion is harmful, rather I think ignorance is. It is ignorance that allows people to be mislead with both.

--airspoon

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Well religion is a way of the past to understand the world. From mine point of view I people who could of used their religion or just had a religious belief in life to kill innocent people which would be evil. But no religion is not evil. It's anti human though.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I agree with you about no one being innocent.
You are wrong about evil just being a word of
expression.Evil is very real and very dangerous.
Can't play right now,my brain is shutting down
for the night.There is always tomorrow!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I don't see people as bad guy or good guy. Some people do have mental problems. I guess it's how history shows you what you to believe.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel

Does that mean religion is not the root of all evil

I'm lost by your post

"The Root of All Evil"? That would be Love.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

Both Science and Religion must have a morality. That cry is usually directed at Science, but Religion is equally to blame. Where does a moral code come from if not from religion? But such always comes skewed particular ways from religions. Science wants to be pure and not be hindered by any form of morality. But we instinctively know that is not right either. So let's adopt Star Trek's Prime Directive and work it down from there.

new topics

top topics

join