It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US navy Seal faces disciplinary action over grenade death.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
The death of the British aid worker Linda Norgrove was caused by a grenade thrown by an American navy seal.

The Guardian has learned that a US special forces soldier who is believed to have accidentally killed Norgrove is likely to face disciplinary action after failing to inform his commanding officers that he had used a grenade until long after the event.

www.guardian.co.uk...

An interesting article, looking at what was involved in the attempted rescue of the aid worker, also good to see this has not been covered up, which it quite easily could have been.

edit on 13-10-2010 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I think that the family should be allowed to sue for their loss. This was utter stupidity, even an ex SAS guy said that there was no need for them to even bring grenades to the operation (was on bbc news)
edit on 13-10-2010 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I was a bit shocked that a frag grenade was used during a rescue mission. It is not normal procedure for obvious reasons.

It is unusual to use a fragmentation grenade (as opposed to a smoke grenade or a stun grenade) in a hostage rescue.

It appears the soldier violated the rules of engagement:

However, the rescue team carried them in this mission to give them flexibility in dealing with whatever resistance they met on the way to or back from the target.

That makes sense. . But, not while at the mission objective!

www.guardian.co.uk...
edit on 10/13/2010 by clay2 baraka because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Really easy to second guess someone from the safety of your houses isnt it gentlemen? I am truly sorry the young lady died during the rescue attempt. Nothing will ever replace her for her family.....and nothing will EVER take away the pain of the SEAL who threw the grenade. For the rest of his life, he will live with the knowledge that his action..in response to the tactical situation, took the life of the very person he was risking his life to save. From the reports, she was on the ground, where she could not be seen and he responded to what he could see and threw the grenade.

The former "commandos" coming forth stating that they KNOW exactly what gear that the SEALs should and should not have been carrying are morons. US Special Forces learned a long time ago (in a desert in Iran) what happens when you dont prepare for the unknown.

As to the Navy SEAL in question, yes, not immeadiately saying that he threw the grenade was wrong and he should be disciplined according to Team rules and Navy Regulations. Other than that, there is nothing to charge him for.
edit on 16-10-2010 by vipertech0596 because: forgot something.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I agree with Vipertech.

Originally posted by MR BOB
I think that the family should be allowed to sue for their loss. This was utter stupidity, even an ex SAS guy said ...

Regardless of the circumstances I would resist any precedent being set for casualties suing soldiers and I doubt any Government would allow such a stupid eventuality.

Regardless of the specific circumstances in this particular incident – which, let’s face it we are only guessing – the pressure, speed and danger which these soldiers have to work in can only be imagined by people on these Boards who have not served. Hostage rescues when the hostage takers have very little regard for other people’s lives is always going to be fraught with danger to the hostage and the rescuers.

We do not want our soldiers constrained from acting because a bunch of lawyers are lining up. Perhaps the public need to be less judgemental from their cosy, safe and predictable little lives.

Once again the criminals who took her hostage seem to be regarded as less guilty than the soldiers. If she had been beheaded because the military considered it too dangerous to “give it a go” then they would be getting bad press. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

Regards

edit on 16/10/2010 by paraphi because: Just adding agreement with Vipertech who got his/her response in before me!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

didnt mean to sue the soldier.

edit on 16-10-2010 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
I think that the family should be allowed to sue for their loss. This was utter stupidity, even an ex SAS guy said that there was no need for them to even bring grenades to the operation (was on bbc news)
edit on 13-10-2010 by MR BOB because: (no reason given)

Sue for what exactly?

The SEALs were under fire during the entire rescue. At one point guys were shooting RPGs at them. Would you have preferred the SEALs to suffer more casualties?

Grenades are part of their standard loadout, so I am not sure why an "ex-SAS" guy would say that. This is what happens in war. Nothing more to see here.

top topics

join