It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender golfer sues LPGA in bid to join tour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Transgender golfer sues LPGA in bid to join tour

www.myfoxorlando.com

(NewsCore) - A former male SWAT team member filed a lawsuit in California against the Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA) after the now transgender woman was denied in her efforts to join the women's golf tour, her lawyer said Wednesday.

Lana Lawless, the 2008 Women's Long Drive Association (LDA) champion, claims in her lawsuit that her civil rights have been violated by the LPGA. The LPGA rules state that no one can play on tour unless she was born female.

The LPGA has rejected Lawless' applications to enter qualifying events. Lawless is legally female after undergoing a sex
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
When are we, as a civilized society, going to draw the line and say enough is enough? Just because a man puts on make-up, dress in womens clothing and has his penis removed doesn't mean he's a woman.

Girls wanting to be Boyscouts. Shannnon Faulkner getting into the Citadel, an all male military college, and quitting after a week and now this, a man wanting to play golf with natural women. There's a reason that he won the Women's LDA because he was a man! You all remember Annika Sorenstam and the fuss she made to play in the PGA? Well, she won the right to play in a PGA tournament but followed guidelines for the LPGA when teeing off!

There is a solution for every problem. This man, Lana
, needs to start a new golf association and call it the FPGA if "she"
wants to play. When a person is born a male or a female and they want to make out that their not their natural sex, something is seriously wrong upstairs. I don't care what any lawyer or jury tells us. This Lana
is a man by definition. Why? Because his
chromosomes tell us so.

Things are getting really stupid in this world.

The PGA crumbled to Sorenstam but I'm in full support of the LPGA to bar Lana
from playing.

www.myfoxorlando.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 13/10/10 by Intelearthling because: corrections

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Ehhhhhhhh ...

It's a stupid tough one. The term transgender can refer to an awful lot of different states of being ... many of which aren't the person's fault or decision. (AIS ... CAH ... K-syndrome ... others - for the record this can make chromosomes useless for identifying a persons gender.)

It makes it a difficult situation to litigate. If someone naturally has a gender mutation how do you create a law which allows that person to enter a sport, whilst still preventing persons from playing who have had late life sex changes? Unfortunately, this person has clearly benefited from early masculine development ... so whiles it doesn't particularly bother me that they've become female, I can see that this could be the equiv of performance enhancing drugs.

As far as legal status for most things ... I don't really think it matters. In the case of sports it could be a problem. Unfortunately any in depth attempt at litigating could be humiliating to ordinary women with disorders.

Is this really breaking alternative news though? Just seems like the usual mainstream circus a little to me. Not complaining too loud but.
edit on 13-10-2010 by Pinke because: Is this breaking alternative news?

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Technically yes, this is breaking alternative news.

The OP seems to have a staunch position regarding the story. I can't say that I share the interest, only because I am among those who have little time for the "bread and circuses" of professional sports in any regard.

Evidently, defeating the manifestation of one's sexual definition via surgery can't help but give rise to the questions this case raises.

I suspect there is no real 'happy middle ground' as long as we separate ourselves by category, regardless of the reasoning behind it.

Perhaps the definition of "transgender" needs to be considered more scientifically. After all, there was no ambiguity in this persons sexual make-up, so does simply altering oneself physically actually change your gender, or does it only change the appearance of your gender? Tough question.

Don't worry though.... Lawyers love 'settling' cases like these.... Higher return on investment you know.

Plus this former guy, now lady will probably end up with a TV show.... which would once again, be in keeping with the entertainment focus of the situation. The more media focus this gets, the more likely the media will want to sell commercial air time over it.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

If he has Gonads , then it's Off to the Men's Tour for you MisterSister !
edit on 13-10-2010 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Plus this former guy, now lady will probably end up with a TV show.... which would once again, be in keeping with the entertainment focus of the situation. The more media focus this gets, the more likely the media will want to sell commercial air time over it.

If this happens I'll pay pal you a single shiny American dollar.

Edit: The TV show that is ... I know the media love this stuff.
edit on 13-10-2010 by Pinke because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
It's a difficult situation.

I'm not completely au fait with the overall result of a transsexual operation.

Would she/he still have some male characteristics that could give her/him an unfair advantage against the other women on the tour ?

It reminds me of the case surrounding the South African 800m World Champion, Caster Semenya. She competes as a female, but she was born with some internal male sexual organs.

Semenya is only 20 years old, yet she is very much quicker than all the other female athletes over 800 metres, and she seemingly gains an advantage from being born with some male characteristics.

However, she's been thoroughly checked over, and declared a woman by independent doctors; so, she's got the all-clear to compete in women's events in the future.

edit on 13-10-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: spelling.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is easy.

Does he have or ever have complete internal female reproductice organs?

Does he have or ever have complete internal male reproductive organs?

If the answer to the first one is yes then let him play.

If the answer to the second is yes then he cannot play.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

Doggone right it's easy. You can't put the "The Flying Lady" on a Cadillac and call it a Rolls or a "Bowtie" on a Ford and call it a Chevy. It just doesn't work that way.

BTW, Star to you.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Actually it's not that easy ...

There are plenty of ways a person can have these characteristics from birth.

I understand the intention which is to prevent persons who have not had the same hormones etc ... from birth age from having an unfair advantage when entering gender based competition ... but the wording of the law and the science involved will have to be more than just a basic physical check and chromosomes or you will find some perfectly normal persons who had slightly abnormal birth defects/intersex conditions being labelled as transsexuals.

Supporting transsexuals or not ... Having a person with a birth defect being 'denounced' as a person who has chosen to have a sex change would have potentially damaging effects to their life.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
There's a 'Getting A Hole In One' joke to be made here, but it would be childish to tell it.

new topics

top topics

join