It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Y/O Shot In Back After Throwing Rocks At Old Man....Can This Be Justified?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Yeah, I've ran across quite a few of "he just a good boy" criminal thugs that can barely be classified as humans. If you act like an animal and *%$@ with old people with guns, you eventually will be removed from the gene pool, which will advance mankind ever so slowly.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I carry my gun all the time, so if we return to days of the Wild West I am prepared, but I don't think most are.

Are you saying it is ok to kill people that annoy you? You said it was overkill, but that some people learn the hard way. So, if I get cutoff in traffic once, I should honk, twice I should yell, cuss and give them the finger, but third time, just kill em?

Riddler quote time, "Don't kill him! If you kill him, he won't learn nothin'! "

I get what you are saying, sometimes if you poke the bear with a stick enough times, he is going to bite you, but this case is the extreme incidence of that, and the kid should not be dead for a prank, and the old man should not be free to shoot more annoying people.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

This happened in the worst neighborhood in the city.

It is highly plausible the old man thought the next step for this gang of punks was to enter and kill.\

I have not read anywhere that it said the thugs were definitely NOT throwing rocks at the old man, he confronted them twice before he shot, so that sounded like to me he had rocks thrown at him too.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I have only partially read your opening post.
There is never a reason to shoot another
person in the back.When a person is fleeing,
they are no longer considered a threat to you.
You can't shoot anybody for stealing your property
or verbally abusing you.You have to be in danger
of losing your life or bodily harm.
Thank you for your reply, mamabeth.

I used to feel the same way, and if it had been one on one, I would probably feel the old man should have done differently. But this was a gang of thugs. The old man had no way of knowing this gang of punks was one of our Louisville Gangs, punks, or who they were. My own 14 yr old is larger than many grown men, and not done growing.

I think being part of a gang or group of punks makes me rethink the absolute of shot in the back is always wrong.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I get what you are saying, sometimes if you poke the bear with a stick enough times, he is going to bite you, but this case is the extreme incidence of that, and the kid should not be dead for a prank, and the old man should not be free to shoot more annoying people.

I've been in situations like this before, and one time I did have a firearm. It was dark, 2:30am and there was two persons there. I didn't fire, but I did have enough blood pumping that it seemed like a smart move.

They had broken some things in the front of my house and later the police told me they had been going around the area breaking things at the front of homes. At what point is a prank a prank?

There but for the grace of God go I and all that ...

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The only reason her perfect little angel got shot in the back is probably because he turned to run away once he realized that grandpa was about to bust a cap in him.

Not sayings it's right, as go many things in this world, but the way I see it is if you go out asking for trouble and in turn you find it, don't act like you are just an innocent victim.

Anyone, when antagonized to the point of rage, will respond. Sometimes the response is deadly. If you thumb your nose at a bear and then get eaten, who's fault is it but your own?

One less knucklehead in the world.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

No because guns are not justified
OOOOOOOPS AND SHOOTING IN THE BACK REALLY ISNT. HE IS ELDER AND SHOULD OF APPRECIATED LIFE MORE AND MABEY CALLED HIS LOCAL AUTHORITIES now he went thru all this life time to start again smh.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Well, like I said in this neighborhood, calling the cops can and will bring more gang memebrs to extract revenge on snitches. It is not always that simple as call the police.

This night, the night of this incident, the police were busy a couple blocks over working a murder, and good luck trying to get a cop to respond to a call of kids throwing rocks in the ghetto that late at night. Or anytime, for that matter.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I have a licence to carry a handgun.
I can't shoot anyone for verbal abuse...
I have to be in obvious danger of losing
my life or physical harm to myself.
Once this kid's back was turned,he was
no longer considered a threat.I shoot him
in the back,I will go to jail.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinke

But you didn't shoot. You had opportunity, adrenalin, fear, maybe even justification, but you thought rationally and you spared a life, because it was not worth taking a life over some broken stuff.

I have been on both sides of this situation. I have pulled off some pretty horrible pranks that seemed funny at the time, but looking back they were just mean. I have also stopped teenagers in the middle of pranks, armed, and never felt it necessary to shoot.

I have been shot at on several occasions as a teenager out cow tipping or breaking into haunted houses in the country. It is very scary when you hear the "sizzle" before the sound of the gunshot! I have had friends shot with buckshot and rocksalt, and one that got hit with a .22 lr and still carries the bullet in his chest.

The point is, you didn't shoot. I didn't shoot. It is not appropriate to shoot except in the protection of someone's life.

This guy chose to shoot. He made the wrong choice. He doesn't deserve to be armed, and he doesn't deserve to be walking the same streets as this kid's friends and family.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It could be the old man learned a lesson from the Long Island guy who fired warnings to a gang congregation and got arrested and disarmed for the act.

If he's going to get arrested just for trying to chase them off he may as well solve the problem completely for any future victim before going to jail.

Lesson from Long Island, not harming anyone will make your situation worse.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Fifteen is too old to be throwing rocks just to irritate people. Regardless of what he was targeting, it is a deadly weapon. I hope the man gets probation & someone gets him into a safer place and I wish he'd gone with rock salt.
Oh. And I hope someone pins the mother down (not literally) & asks her why she didn't raise her son better than that. At 15, she should have had control of where he was.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Guns are not for "warning shots." #1 it could hit an unintended target. #2 it could escalate a situation and get you shot before you realize it. #3 it could be used against you as a lunatic with a gun.

If there is a clear and present danger, shoot them. If there is not a clear and present danger, call the police.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I've never seen possessions owned by another person that needed to be vandalized or stolen, or a person that deserved to have to put up with someone doing so to what is theirs.... I have seen a lot of people that needed killing...

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
as i deteriorate and loose some abilities,
i can relate - i'm not able to kick much butt-
i am the cranky sort with access to weapons..
and anyone that threatens me- or mine - does so at their own peril.
but this guy will have trouble in a court of law.
he lost his justification.. although the kid was totally unjustified.
-reminds me to get a night vision scope..
and check all assailants id to make sure they are fair game..

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I certainly wouldn't say the child deserved to be killed, and shooting someone in the back seems pretty cowardly, but we don't know the full facts of this confrontation.

Firstly, what mental state is the man in ?

A lot of vulnerable people are targets for yobbos, so he might have been considered a bit ''strange'', and that might be why they targeted him.

Secondly, he may well have been scared and shot out of fear and adrenalin.

Also, he may not have intended to shoot this boy in the back. It's not clear whether he shot him when he was running away.

Thirdly, he may have called the cops and they failed to adequately respond.

This happens quite often here in Britain. Someone is getting their property damaged by a group of yobbos, and either the police don't bother to respond to a call, or when they do turn up, they just give the thugs a bit of a talking to, and nothing else.

The simple fact of the matter is that if this 15-year-old boy hadn't been throwing rocks at this old man's property, then he wouldn't have been shot, and we wouldn't be having this discussion now.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It is time someone dealt with these teen pieces of crap.

terrorizing an old man, throwing rocks at his property and cars.

Someone gets shot and you all whinge.

People have to learn there are consequences to your actions. And some will be borderline, very borderline.

Lack of parenting, poor peer pressure and poverty contributed to this.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that if someone were to be on my property at night and doing damage or being threatening, I would have no problem doing the same to them as I do to marauding wild hogs or any other predatory beast.... Where I live it is assumed by all that you have to nip the problem in the bud or blow it away.....

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Reply to post by getreadyalready

What happens if the cops dont ever show? Ive seen them take days to respond to calls.

These guys just get free license to squat on your property as long as they never pose a immediate danger?

I guess then all you can do is walk out and confront them. Hoping to escalate it to the level of immediate danger at which point you can use or display force? But then you are in a more risky situation in order to escalate to that point rather than if you had issued a display of force before hand.

A cop on here once told me they are free to and taught to escalate situations to justify use of force as a method of resolution.

There are some instances when there is no place to flee to, nobody coming in from the outside with magic badges to shoo them away and no direct threat to your life. So you should just kick back, turn up the radio and live with your new neighbors for a few days or weeks hoping they decide to leave?

By the way, the guy fired into the dirt. He wasnt waving it around or shooting into the air. He didnt shoot into a rock or onto concrete. He fired into dirt. The same dirt thats piled up in berms and backstops at the end of shooting ranges.

Theres too much gray in the real world and none of these hard written laws and regulations can account for every variable.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The fact that this kid was shot in the back is what is going to lay the biggest part in this. Why was his backed turned? Deadly force is acceptable when there is an immanent threat. Obviously throwing rocks at the elderly can kill...that is deadly force. My gut tells me this kid turned and ran away when he saw the gun, if he was running away there is no longer an immanent threat. At that point it is no longer self defense.

That being said, I can't blame the old man. According to the article he had called police before, obviously they didnt do much about it if the old man continued to be terrorized. So now you really need to wonder why it all went so bad? The cops didnt do their job to protect someone who needed protection. Maybe they didnt have time to handle the situation when there are so many criminals out driving with a tag light out

The parents didnt do their job and teach this kid any respect at all for others. I was no angel as a kid. I completely understand how kids can get into trouble and how bad ideas can sure seem like good ones at the time, but I never assaulted old people. You do not have to be a rocket scientist to know that doing such a thing is just wrong. This kid did not deserve to die, but he created this situation all on his own. The old man didnt go out looking for him, he went out looking for the old man, and when you go out looking for trouble, sometimes you find it.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join