It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just A Hug

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Today I dropped my 5 year old son off to school; he has a full day now since they are implementing that for Kindergarten in Michigan. Every day I give my son a big hug, just as I have since the day he was born.

I understand hugs don't solve everything, but they sure make life more bearable.

There are times that my son will, out of nowhere, give his father a big hug and a kiss, why because he has not been socially conditioned for being cold or feels that it’s not proper. Children seem to be much more in touch with, what the right thing to do is than us adults. How many times have you hesitated to extend warm to someone, because you thought about it to long? Not a child.

I could site all kinds of data, studies, statistics and net information about how “A Hug” is really beneficial, but the fact is it just says, “ I love you” and “I care about you”.

As time pushes on we lose touch with giving or receiving hugs, especially in the USA. I find that not touching or being touched by another human being, in a loving way, results in a cold, withdrawn and a lonely environment.

Do any of you have Italian friends? In Italy everyone hugs everyone; kisses and affection are almost always extended, even to strangers. Strangers? Yes, while living in Italy years ago I witnessed a car accident, not a bad one, but both people got out of cars that were physically damaged and Hugged each other. Wow! Only in Italy I thought.

I would like for each one of you reading this to think about the last time someone hugged you, or you extended a hug to someone that needed it.

Why should I you ask? Well they feel darn good.

How many of you right now have the feeling like I really need a hug? I’ll bet almost everyone. Our souls crave love.

Give a hug to someone you think needs one, it doesn’t cost anything. And you just may start getting some much needed attention back.

Peace out, RT!

edit on 13-10-2010 by Realtruth because: content addition

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

i agree with your logic, however there is a problem with it in todays warped society.

If i walk up to a woman and give her a hug, i could loose my job do to misconduct in the work place or be taken to court for sexual harrasment. (in basically any other situation)

And while i have no problem giving another man a hug (hug friends after a long time without seeing them, hug family) if i were to give a man a hug who wasnt a close friend or family member i could be labeled and threatened.

its a sad world we live in

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Boy I sure do. thankyou for the cyber hug, it is so appreciated. I know what you mean about keeping that innocence alive with our children and those we charish. when all is said and done, there is no better feeling than not leaving those precious words and hugs undone or said.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hugs are awesome.

There's actually a movement out there...

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Thank for this OP. I have been trying to give at least one hug a day for awhile now. It really helps you to start opening your heart and be more compassionate towards the world around you. Can't even begin to tell you how important hugs are...the gesture alone says so much.
Just to add, I'm so tired of those flimsy hugs that a lot of people give. You know, the one-armed, don't really care about a heart-to-heart interaction. I base quality of hugs on how a person subconsciously feels about loving interaction haha. Everyone needs a little lovin.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
My friend,

Thank you for touching my heart, HUGS right back at ya

S&F, for sure!

Be safe be well

Spiro

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It's called a bit of discretion, lol

It is a sad world because we make it that way, if we were all gone from this earth the world itself would do just fine. We need to make our world more happy.

I would say the best place to start would be with family, that is what I was eluding to.

I'll bet you can think of at least one person.

Most people that need hugs, are people that you'll know well and not take them as a threat.

I think if we just extended it to the ones we are close to, it can brighten the world.

Most of you know the people you can give "Just a Hug" to.

Cyber Hugs to all of you.

RT

Originally posted by Alaskan Man

i agree with your logic, however there is a problem with it in todays warped society.

If i walk up to a woman and give her a hug, i could loose my job do to misconduct in the work place or be taken to court for sexual harrasment. (in basically any other situation)

And while i have no problem giving another man a hug (hug friends after a long time without seeing them, hug family) if i were to give a man a hug who wasnt a close friend or family member i could be labeled and threatened.

its a sad world we live in

edit on 13-10-2010 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I love that you posted this! Just last night a friend of my husband's held his arms out for a hug and I hesitated because I didn't know how others would take it. I felt that some might see it as inappropriate (me being a married female and he a male). I felt ridiculous as I hugged him awkwardly. I am the type of person who WANTS to hug all the time, but I stop myself because I fear some won't like it. I even want to kiss people too, on the cheek of course.

You made me want to do it more again! Haha thanks!

edit on 13-10-2010 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Hugging should be a good thing. But it is also an art, if it isn't practised it cannot become perfect. Now go hug yourself.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
A hug is definitely one of the best things in the world!!

The last hug I had was with my x a year ago pretty much to the day, i feel though that if someone gave me a hug at this moment in time, I would end up balling my eyes out. i still miss my x no end.

So, I'm going to give someone I know a good squeeze today if possible.

much love to all

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Aww this is such a great thread haha you just reminded me that a hug is exactly what I need right now. Being in the philosophy forum, I'll just have to go a bit into my philosophy of hugging (which I didn't know existed until I found this thread).

As I said before, I could use a hug... although I don't think just any hug would do, because different hugs certainly have different merits.

The hugs I get most regularly are friendly hugs from guys and girls I'm friendly with, usually just a "hey, what's up" hug or "see ya later" hug. These are low key and easy to pull off, because almost everyone enjoys a friendly hug with a friend, so I give friendly hugs a rating of
I have friends that are huggers and friends who aren't really huggers, and I definitely feel more comfortable around friends who are huggers.

And hugs are also good coming from people you don't really know or from complete strangers... these just make you feel good about people and make you feel good about being a human being. This rarely happens, but when it does I absolutely love it, just the spontaneity of it all, so my rating for it is a
For me these have happened mostly at concerts or with some kind of youth groups.

My favorite hugs are from someone close to me who I know care for me... these make me feel good about myself and make me feel loved. I definitely don't get enough of these hugs, and I definitely don't give out enough of these hugs, but I'll be working on it! Because these are the important hugs, these are the ones that are 100% genuine, and so they are 100% amazing.

edit on 16-10-2010 by Wang Tang because: making it look baller

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I am so glad you posted this because this encompasses exactly what is going on in the USA, and many other places worldwide.

Many of us from our inner souls wish to extend love, affection and comfort, but have been conditioned not to, as we grow older. As children we express love and affection without thinking, but have it stripped away as we grow.

What are we teaching our young?

Originally posted by Ellie Sagan
I love that you posted this! Just last night a friend of my husband's held his arms out for a hug and I hesitated because I didn't know how others would take it. I felt that some might see it as inappropriate (me being a married female and he a male). I felt ridiculous as I hugged him awkwardly. I am the type of person who WANTS to hug all the time, but I stop myself because I fear some won't like it. I even want to kiss people too, on the cheek of course.

You made me want to do it more again! Haha thanks!

edit on 13-10-2010 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

top topics

join