It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is space finite?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
The idea of infinite is beyond the comprehension of my conscious mind. I wonder if space is finite or infinite? How could infinite exist for that matter? What form would it take?

I have come across an article explaining a few theories for ways in which space could exist:
LINK (.pdf)

This one stands out to me:

Doughnut Space

You go far enough and eventually are back where you started.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c2ca97eb9203.png[/atsimg]

Assuming this theory is true however, could anything exist beyond the doughnut? If so perhaps it can never be reached by matter contained within.

Two views to ponder:

1. Our Finite Spherical Universe is all that Exists. (Which led to the Big Bang Theory for the Creation of the Universe). To briefly summarise, if the universe is finite (and all there is) then there are only three options. 1. The universe is static - then it needs an antigravity component to stop it collapsing (Einstein's cosmological constant).

2. The universe is contracting (there is no evidence for this).

3. The universe is expanding (the redshift with distance supports this if it is caused by Doppler shifting due to receding motion - this is the path Cosmology went down).

Our Finite Spherical 'Observable Universe' exists as part of Infinite Eternal Space. Spherical standing wave. On truth and reality, the metaphysics, philosophy and physics of space.The most simple explanation is that only one thing exists, space, thus it is necessarily infinite and eternal. From this most simple foundation we can then deduce that matter must be formed from waves in Space, where the electron is a spherical standing wave. The wave center forms the 'particle' effect, the spherical in and out waves explain how matter is in continual two way communication with other matter (waves) in the space around it. The Wave Diagrams page is useful for picturing this.

Source: www.spaceandmotion.com...

What do you find most plausible? An infinite or finite space?
edit on 10/12/2010 by NJE03 because: Mods, please move to correct place if I have posted this incorrectly.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Interesting. . .as this is the theory I had when I was a child. Yeah, I'm one of "those" types, haha. At any rate, I believed then that if one traveled a straight line, eventually, you would return to the exact point of origin. This, of course, bars the influence of gravitational fields such as black holes, etc.

I suppose it is the nature of humanity to define the events that occur around us, as well, I know that there are too many things around us that will defy every explanation we have. So even if we understand why or not, the idea of returning to the point of origin could occur no matter which direction we take.

Bah! this all made sense before I started typing.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by NJE03

Depends on what you count as space. I assume you mean the actual physical construct of reality itself, the emptiness that the Universe is expanding out into. Right now we're not sure. It is possible that the Universe is expanding into infinite emptiness, although the vacuum of space has a lot of stuff going on at the Quantum level, so its not really empty entirely it is quite possibly infinite. We may never know though because our Universe might run out of energy before it hits any limit in the physical construct of space and that'll be billions of years from now.

So space might be finite, or it might be expanding alongside the expanding Universe, or it might be infinite... We really don't know yet.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NJE03

whats really going to bake your noodle is
if energy canot be created or destroyed
then how would the big bang work lol

space is non liner
ie there is no start and no end

xploder

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NJE03

Of course, space is finite.

The 'space' in which the consciousness of your "self" exists is over there; and the 'space' in which the consciousness of my "self" exists is over here. There is no inter-penetration of these 'spaces'.

So, the 'space' of your consciousness has a 'curvature' in 3 dimensions as does mine.

The question is: What is the origin of this conscious 'space'?

And the answer to that question is the 'movement' of self-reflection.

It is through the 'movement' of reflection or self-reflection that you localize your "self" in 'space' as being different from any other "self".

That 'movement' results in both the fragmentation of the 2-dimensional 'flat' space and its differentiation into the 3-dimensional 'curved' space which is the origin of all "selves".

Then, of course, the postulation of the thought of the 'thinker' occurs for the purpose of mantaining the existence from moment to moment of this 'space' of consciousness.

Of course, ultimately, this awareness of a conscious 'space' of the "self" is projected upon sensations and perceptions of the 3-dimensional 'curved' space reality; while the extension of this conscious 'space' in 'time' is projected upon sensations and perception of change and duration within the 3-dimensional 'curved' space reality.

It's not really that difficult at all.

Michael

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by NJE03

I had a whole reply typed out and then deleted it after reading a little bit from the link you provided....

At either rate, I've always thought reality to be infinite, but I rather like the views provided in the link as it closely matches my own views.

top topics

join