It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirit Update (finally!) : Some really cool Mars Rocks...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
NASA has finally updated the spirit pics, and .... WOW!!

the knobbly rock on the left is the "Pot of Gold", with some interesting nodules on it..I'm more interested in that strange "box" shaped rock on the right though!!

Larger version here..
marsrovers.nasa.gov...

Here's another pic as well, from Opportunity, looking down into the crater..

Man I hope those batteries hold out!!!!

[edit on 25-6-2004 by muppet]

[edit on 26-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I'm not really seeing the pot of gold rock but the box does seem interesting. It looks like some artifact that was broken in half horizontally.
At first the crater picture looked like it was a constructed pathway until i read that i was looking down inside of the crater, but who knows, it could be some sort of structure, maybe it was an ancient swimming pool

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
That 'box' thing is very interesting, watch Hoagland run with that one!!

It looks like a rusted out can - well worth dowloading the full-size version, that aint no rock!!

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Ok now that �box� image is compelling. This is the same image blown up about 200% and sharpened once with Photoshop.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Very interesting. Best pictures to date. Very interesting indeed.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
So what could it be?

• An object from a man made satellite or probe that crashed on the surface.

• Some type of buildup on a softer rock, then the softer rock weathered away leaving the harder shell from the buildup.

• A box form an ancient race of intelligent life that lived on mars.

• A box left by visiting aliens.

• Just a normal rock that we are reading too much into.

The thing that seems unexplainable to me is the right angles clearly visible in the image. I wonder if similar natural processes found on earth could shape a rock with such crisp right angles. I have yet to see anything found in nature with similar properties, excluding crystals and their formation.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The crater picture looks very much like pavement slabs laid down on purpose.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Anybody have a guesstimation on the size of the "box" structure? I find it interesting that they are so geared up about the "pot of gold" and yet said nothing of this "box" struture. Maybe we will get new views of this with upcoming pictures.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I know nowt about geology, but looking at the inside of the 'box', there seems to be a similar surface to the "pot of gold" rock to the left, only less pronounced.

The "pot of gold" rock also seems to be on top of a similar box like shape, only more burst open.

According to NASA,

This close-up image taken by the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit highlights the nodular nuggets that cover the rock dubbed "Pot of Gold." These nuggets appear to stand on the end of stalk-like features. The surface of the rock is dotted with fine-scale pits. Data from the rover's scientific instruments has shown that Pot of Gold contains the mineral hematite, which can be formed with or without water.

Scientists are planning further observations of this rock, which they hope will yield more insight into the hematite's origins as well as how the enigmatic nuggets formed.

Is it possible that the Pot of Gold rock, and the contents of the 'box', are the same, and somehow crystallized over the millennia from the contents of these 'boxes'? It's interesting that these features are at the top of a hill as well... were they put there?!!

Or is this just wishful thinking?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
That square Rock looks well like a square rock. But to elebrate it look like a cynder block the kind used to build with that has broken the top .
and farther more if you study it closly you will notice it NOT just square on one side that it is a true BOX looking rock Four sides very weathered and even a flat bottom . Sure would like to know how something like that could be natrial.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Ok this is NASA�s explanation.

A 'Pot of Gold' Rich with Nuggets (Sol 163-2)
This close-up image taken by the Mars Exploration Rover Spirit highlights the nobular nuggets that cover the rock dubbed "Pot of Gold." These nuggets appear to stand on the end of stalk-like features. The surface of the rock is dotted with fine-scale pits. Data from the rover's scientific instruments has shown that Pot of Gold contains the mineral hematite, which can be formed with or without water.
Scientists are planning further observations of this rock, which they hope will yield more insight into the hematite's origins as well as how the enigmatic nuggets formed.
This image was taken by Spirit's microscopic imager on sol 163 (June 18, 2004). The observed area is 3 centimeters by 3 centimeters (1.2 inches by 1.2 inches).
marsrovers.nasa.gov...

Edit: muppet posted it before me, sorry.

[edit on 26-6-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Another object similar to the �box�, it looks identical.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
LOL KingLizard, that's what happens went lot's of excited people frantically post at once!!

I really hope they give us a good look round this area. there seems to be so many tantalizing things poking up out of the sand.. there's even a curved bit of rock on the left of the pot of gold that if you saw it on earth you'd assume was a piece of Roman pottery or something.

Does anyone know if the Spirit can "dig"?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
nice close-up King... there's a lot of strangely unnatural looking shapes to be sure!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I blew it up until you can see the pixels and it still looks like a tin or box!

The object to its immediate left has a structural look to it, a straight raised ridge, and a circular shape. Is it the top of the can?

[edit on 27-6-2004 by Trevor]

The description pot of gold is an interesting choice - these items do look like containers whose contents have become exposed as the material degenerates, rusts, whatever.

[edit on 27-6-2004 by Trevor]

top topics

join