It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the Best Music Software for Value and Content?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hello there!

After my successful thread looking for documentary ideas, I thought I would reach out once again in the hope of some further advice. I am looking for a music making program. I have Ejay Virtual Music Studio but it is not running on my computer these days. It's a Toshiba Satellite Pro with a dual core processor and all that jazz. I don't know much about the ole computor machines to be honest, as long as it turns on and I can use ATS it's all good.

The computer runs other programs such as Adobe Premiere Elements, Photoshop etc at the same time, so I don't think it's the computer that's the problem with Ejay.

Anyway basically I'm looking for some sort of music program with thousands of samples, the ability to download more samples, and obviously edit those bad boys, changing pitch, tone etc. If you know of any I would be very appreciative? If not, no worries! Cheers

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
How much do you want to invest?

Cube2.2 is a good software, but only available for OS X

- Sonar, software from cakewalk.com. On their website you'll find other products as well. For professional and personal use. Prices are in my opinion okay, coz there are some way more expensive products out there.

- Renoise (renoise.com) is also a could software that i think would fit your needs. Personal favorite

@Computer Sepcs: Audio/Music Software needs a lot of CPU, >4gb DDRAM enhances the experience
And a lot of disk space for the raw audio files of course

Hope this helps a bit.

If you want to plug in some instruments or hardware equipment there are better softwares out there. But well. really depends on the money you are willing to invest

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Reason by Propellerhead has alot of great samples.
Their recording program called Record is also top-notch.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDeader

Thanks for the reply I'll check those out now! Not much more than £50 realistically, so about $80. But I would buy a second hand copy no problem. Not too fussed about connecting up instruments at this point.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

One of the best and cheapest DAW's (digital audio workstations) available, is a program called REAPER. It is open source and as cheap as chips. I have worked with most DAWS over the years and I swear non of them come close to REAPER.

You will still have to find your own samples but as far as editing goes this program should serve you well.

You don't even have to pay for it straight up if you can't afford as it never times out on you.

I used it for a week and felt compelled to buy it because they have a great business model and I wanted to support them. It is very affordable and just excellent.

Google it and download, It is an amazing 4 something megs and Kicks A$$.

Enjoy

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I love fruity loops but ableton live Is by far the best program for making music on the fly that I've ever found. Probably out of your price range but they do give a month free trial. Search YouTube for "kid beyond ableton" and he'll show you how to make crazy # just with his mouth. Its the only prog I actually bought. Hope this helps. Peace

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies everybody!

I have decided to download a free trial of Renoise just to check it out! I'll get a better look at the rest of them tomorrow.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Ableton Live if you need to record instruments, vocals, etc.

Reason if you're just going to be using samples (though version 5 does allow you to record your own samples for use in its sampler instruments).

-TheAssoc.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I found this while looking for a video for another post. It's for drums. Looks pretty cool. You don't even need drums, from what they're saying.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

That is just epic.

As I suck at the drums, but am an avid spooner,
that would be just too cool to use!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I thought so, too. Next thing you know, they'll have something for air guitar lol.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
As I suck at the drums, but am an avid spooner

Sorry, I just had to.

-TheAssoc.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

I haven't heard that in years amazing tune!

Going to listen to Blackhole Sun right now!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I have used cubase, Reason and ableton live. Out of all the software Ableton live is the one I have settled with and use the most. It has everything you need and once you work out how to use it, it can be very easy and quick to get a track going. I couldnt imagine using another programme now Ableton has everything I need and the customer support is excellent.

The only downside is the plugins that come with Ableton, I would say for instruments and plug ins Logic would be best.

But for sampling and just taking bits off your tracks get ableton, You can just drag your favourite tracks, take some loops and get jamming. you can mix up rock tracks and dance tracks, with the use of warp markers, you can time any piece of music together. No other programe lets you manipulate audio in the way Ableton does. Sounds like thats what you want.

edit on 14-10-2010 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I think me and you are in the same boat. I was an avid Cubase user. I can't believe how fast I can put something together in ableton. Absolutely love it. As far as the plugins, I use VST plugins like battery and kontact. The cool thing is that you can use all the native instruments demo vst's and just record the audio itself into ableton before the demo's time out.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I use FL studio 8 ( fruity loops ) and i've been using this program for almost 10 years. The snobs and musical elitists will dismiss it as a toy , but i've made all these ( the2ndmouse.wordpress.com... ) with it , and you can hear its far from being a toy , and you can go as deep with it as your imagination will allow you to go.
There are not just a lot of samples included , with an excellent audio editor ( edison ) to chop them up and destroy them in , but there are a load of synths , drum machines , guitar synthesizers , and effects like reverb , delay , distortion , EQ , compression everything you could possibly ever need. Its easy to pick up and totally impossible to put down.
Ableton live is very claustrophobic as everything is very cramped. Its more geared towards playing live.

avoid cubase. Its just zzzzzz and its like watching your fingernails grow.

good luck.
edit on 14-10-2010 by Reconciler because: correction

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Reconciler

I also love fruity loops and have also used it for 10 years. I brushed ableton aside at first because of the simplicity. The thing I love about ableton is that you can jam with it and launch loops live and record your whole set, then after you are done, you can go to linear view and see your set in a linear fashion and make edits and tighten up the rough edges. I actually use fruity loops as a plugin for ableton which I find is very powerful. I'll check out your music when I get to some speakers.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Fruity loops is fine for home studio recording, but so are Live, Sonar, and Acid Pro.

However, if you're doing actual studio recording, Pro Tools (or maybe Logic) is mandatory. And It's not snobbery to say so; just simple facts.

-TheAssoc.
edit on 14-10-2010 by TheAssociate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

Fruity loops is fine for home studio recording, but so are Live, Sonar, and Acid Pro.

However, if you're doing actual studio recording, Pro Tools (or maybe Logic) is mandatory. And It's not snobbery to say so; just simple facts.

-TheAssoc.
edit on 14-10-2010 by TheAssociate because: (no reason given)

The protools thing i agree with and its clearly the industry standard for professionals , but i stick with FL studio cos i enjoy making it do what the elitists say it can't do. Its not the software .....its the imagination controlling it that is determinant of its power.

10/10 for soundgarden. .......chris cornell / audioslave...........genius!

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
To be honest it depends what music your making, I have heard tracks made in both reason and fruity loops that have been released. A great album by an artict called Burial was made only using Sony soundforge, I dont know how he does it. Its about ideas and talent if you have both of those it doesn't really matter what software you use.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join