It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News is a problem, not a solution to anything.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I have a problem in general with the current 24 hour news cycle model that is used by all cable news networks, but Fox News adds something else to it: outright manipulation and lying.

Need proof?

Start watching The Daily Show, in which Jon Stewart does something to eviscerate the practices at Fox News nearly every week.

And
Here
Are
Some
Of
The
Most
Recent
Examples
Of
That
Sort
Of
Thing

More examples can be found over here

My only question is: How is it that a comedian can so easily dismantle the most powerful cable news network so consistently without the people who watch it getting wind of it?

It's like that little boy who said that the emperor has no clothes being ignored every day until the emperor starts getting rashes and burns and hypothermia and frostbite and....this metaphor has run away from me.

What I'm trying to say is why don't people realize the lies?

Edit:
I typically hate using videos as examples and the basis for posts, but there's absolutely no way for me to explain what those videos show in any credible manner. I simply do not have the words for it.
edit on 10/12/10 by madnessinmysoul because: Added statement.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
My only question is: How is it that a comedian can so easily dismantle the most powerful cable news network so consistently without the people who watch it getting wind of it?

Perhaps because the latter are actually familiar with the segments in context?

/devil's advocate

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

You know what.....I work for FOX!!!!..... And I could not agree more.... please keep this a secret before they fire me...... I was thinking about something the other day, How would the ATS community feel if someone on the inside was able to shut FOX off for a few minutes in a major city?
That would be interesting..... Of coarse I would never do anything like that.... I need the small amout of salary these people pay me to keep my fridge packed with beer.
edit on 12-10-2010 by SirKnightE because: Murdoch made me do it

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

Often times context is irrelevant in these statements. Show me in any of those instances how context would have changed anything.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I'd say the only thing good coming out of Fox is Judge Napolitano's Freedom Watch and The Simpsons.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure idiots watching too much TV is the real problem.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Often times context is irrelevant in these statements. Show me in any of those instances how context would have changed anything.

Oh I didn't view the video samples. I do have reason for my off-the-cuff remark though. I don't watch TV news, but I do sometimes watch both Glenn Beck and Jon Stewart, and whenever the latter is making fun of clips of the former and I had seen the former, always, always, without fail, Stewart didn't really "nail" anything. More often than not he's making fun of a word or two or otherwise being silly. When he is trying to be topical, he harps on a small point or a passing comment while completely missing the substance.

It may look like it doesn't need context, but you'll never know that without the context, will you? I submit that you cannot know that context is irrelevant until you've seen the context.

Doesn't mean I don't like Jon Stewart. But just like everything you see on TV, you have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

edit on 12-10-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SirKnightE

I am sorry but making the claim you work for Fox, then make some demand we all 'keep it secret'....sorry, but if you truly do work for them, you have just outed yourself. Why demand we all keep secret that you have put out into the open.

Maybe you do, maybe you don't but did you know I work for Goldman Sachs and can get you all the dirt you guys wanted, but I won't because I want to keep my fridge stocked with beer.

See how incredible your claims are now?

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Lol! Manipulation and lying eh? Yeah, Fox must be the only network that does this.

Oh whoops! Whats this? MSNBC caught in the act of manipulating video to make the tea party look racist?!

www.youtube.com...

I believe that video speaks for itself.

Besides... I thought most of us here at ATS were under the impression that the mainstream media tends to lie about everything anyway? They all do it, so let's drop the left and right paradigm from now on shall we? They're just two sides of the same corrupt and manipulative coin.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I'll tell you how they do it. They make enlightenment part of the delusion. In other words when Fox News gets caught lying they say that every other news medium is lying and they are the only ones telling you the truth. People believe what they want to. I find it amusing that Fox viewers call it the "liberal" media and if I go out to my car right now I can get Rush Limbaugh on 50 stations and Air America or MSNBC on none (without sat).

People believe what they want to and hear what they want to. Limbaugh and Liddy and Farber fed them this stuff for years, even before Clinton. Now that it's changed to Hannity and Beck it's still the same story. It's "Don't listen to what they tell you is the truth because we already told you they were liars. Funny thing is it's Fox who gets caught lying. Not once, not twice but over and over again. Any news medium can make a mistake but when it occurs over and over again it's not a mistake, it's blantant attempt control of your outlook.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I have a problem in general with the current 24 hour news cycle model that is used by all cable news networks, but Fox News adds something else to it: outright manipulation and lying.

Need proof?

Start watching The Daily Show, in which Jon Stewart does something to eviscerate the practices at Fox News nearly every week.

And
Here
Are
Some
Of
The
Most
Recent
Examples
Of
That
Sort
Of
Thing

More examples can be found over here

It's like that little boy who said that the emperor has no clothes being ignored every day until the emperor starts getting rashes and burns and hypothermia and frostbite and....this metaphor has run away from me.

What I'm trying to say is why don't people realize the lies?

Edit:
I typically hate using videos as examples and the basis for posts, but there's absolutely no way for me to explain what those videos show in any credible manner. I simply do not have the words for it.
edit on 10/12/10 by madnessinmysoul because: Added statement.

Find your television remote.

Hit the menu key.

Sroll to see what channel Rachel Maddow is on.

Press enter.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Don't watch it, its that simple.

Stewart's a tool. Sure he's funny at times, but he seriously takes himself seriously? You take his commentary seriously? He's a Saturday Night Live dude, not a serious person.

Bill O'Reilly ripped the bark off of him the other day when he was on that show. Stewart was at best smug he is a total light-weight.

I guess the other networks are even handed. Blatant bias on all of the networks, CNN, MSNBC. How about Dan Rather making up the whole GWBush national guard business. What was shocking about the whole affair is that he actually lost his job over the deal.

I can't wait until election day. I watch FOX, but will watch the other media that night as they pull out their hankys as the liberals get tossed out of office. Great fun.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewlyAwakened

Perhaps because the latter are actually familiar with the segments in context?

/devil's advocate

ur kidding right ?

Fox is the ultimate at editing things out of context....

Nice try though.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
this thread is the problem and not the solution to it

calling out one station for bias or "lying" is ridiculous at best..............

stewarts title? is comedian not news journalist..........................

THEY ALL HAVE BIAS AND THEY ALL LIE

this is exactly like the left calling out the right for doing wrong but then turn around and do the same things...

meh no thanks dont like it turn the channel noone makes you watch them or listen to them...........

you have freedom of choice i suggest you exercise that right....................................or you going to continue to burn books ? what are books? nothing but ideals given form much like main stream media...................you make the choice and let someone else decide what they want to do...............................meh

edit on 12-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by SirKnightE

I am sorry but making the claim you work for Fox, then make some demand we all 'keep it secret'....sorry, but if you truly do work for them, you have just outed yourself. Why demand we all keep secret that you have put out into the open.

Maybe you do, maybe you don't but did you know I work for Goldman Sachs and can get you all the dirt you guys wanted, but I won't because I want to keep my fridge stocked with beer.

See how incredible your claims are now?

Ever heard of sarcasm, maybe a little smiley face behind my statement would change something. You really think my employers care what I post on here. I'm just a button pusher buddy, dont take life so seriously, your just gonna end up dead anyway right................

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I like John Stossel's show too. It is on Fox Business.

Stossel destroys the pathetic statists and their stupid ideas. Napolitano is just plain awesome.

The enemies of Freedom must hate those two.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I cannot believe that people blast fox news. For over a year I've made a serious effort to watch msnbc and cnn along with fox to compare their biases. Msnbc is pathetic. Their anger is so obvious, especially Olberman. He may have been dropped several times when he was a baby.Lean forward should be Bend over. They all remind me of a group of stuck-up rich kids who have absolutely no idea what it's like to really work for a living. They hang around like minded people and can't believe how stupid the 'average american' is. CNN- Parker-Spitzer-'nuff said.Where would we be without FoxNews? One shudders to think.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I've had this arguement with my mother-in-law countless times.

If you're going to make comments about one news station, make sure you include the others.

We're talking about CABLE news stations here people. You have to PAY for cable.

I don't watch news on television, because its 90% bullsh*t, but to say one is worse than the others is laughable. For example, I was listening to Glenn Beck on the radio yesterday talk about Rich Lott, the Republican candidate from Ohio, and his whole Nazi uniform ordeal. Glenn didn't advocate what he was doing, but made the point that when you have a re-enactment you need both sides of the war, correct? Well, leave it to Keith Olbermann to make Glenn the Worst Person in the World THE EXACT SAME DAY because supposedly "Glenn thinks it's okay to wear Nazi uniforms." LMFAO seriously?

These news channels say what they want, and they get anything to mean what THEY want it to mean.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thank you! Speaking of broken men I'd not be surprised if Keith wakes up one morning and decides to put a bullet in the roof of his mouth. He has so much anger and that can't be healthy.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Thanks you! It makes me sick everytime I try watching fox for more then 2min. A few weeks ago, they had the balls to interview a priest on the evils of marijuana........ARE YOU HIGH?!? ofcourse the preacher testified it was evil and in "fact" a gateway drug. The scarest part of our exsistance is not whats on these top threads....its that bible thumping morons are the ones in political power and are so blocked in to see past their own lame agendas. Its crazy that they are uncapable to do the math that....if a impressionable teen had to buy his lollipops that happened to be in prohibition from the scumbag down the street who also happened to sell meth and or rock...the teen may get talked into trying it out......so, lets push to crimalize lollipops, and I will show you a gateway candy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join