It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potentially habitable exoplanet may not actually exist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

www.boingboing.net

As I told you a couple weeks ago, Gliese 581g, planet of dreams, comes with a lot of uncertainty. It may, or may not, be habitable. It may, or may not, contain life.

And now, it may, or may not, exist.

Steven Vogt and his colleagues based the discovery of Gliese 581g on data taken from both their own research at the Keck Observatory in Hawaii and previously published data collected by the Geneva-based High Accuracy Radial velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS) team at an observatory in Chile. And, you'll recall, Vogt spent a surprising chunk of the peer-reviewed paper arguing for better teamw
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
scienceblogs.com

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This is disapointing, however is does not mean that the newly discovered planet necessarily does not exist. It seems that given the state of our current technology/science disentangling a multi-exoplanetary system is difficult, which kinda makes sense really. Personally I do hope it s existence is borne out as more study is undertaken. I should have expected this when I learned that there had been another "twin earth" discovered in the same system before.

www.boingboing.net

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Quite the development, and a stern warning about rushing a paper to publication without sufficient confirmation. Thanks for posting. This is why it's NOT a conspiracy that scientists do not necessarily release their findings as soon as they get them; their reputations are at stake and a premature conclusion can ruin a career. While normally walking back a potential exoplanet discovery wouldn't be the end of the world, the close attention this particular exoplanet received due to its location and mass makes it more important to avoid just this situation.
edit on 12-10-2010 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidself

www.boingboing.net

As I told you a couple weeks ago, Gliese 581g, planet of dreams, comes with a lot of uncertainty. It may, or may not, be habitable. It may, or may not, contain life.

And now, it may, or may not, exist.

Steven Vogt and his colleagues based the discovery of Gliese 581g on data taken from both their own research at the Keck Observatory in Hawaii and previously published data collected by the Geneva-based High Accuracy Radial velocity Planet Searcher (HARPS) team at an observatory in Chile. And, you'll recall, Vogt spent a surprising chunk of the peer-reviewed paper arguing for better teamw

Related News Links:
scienceblogs.com

It's hard to take whatever our galactic kindergarten-like planet (Earth) says when it comes to the cosmos because we don't even know what resides in our deepest oceans.
So now we're giving them a platform to postulate about distant bodies? I don't think so.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I was wondering how long it would be before someone dared broach this all to relevant reality.

As science, and her attendant community, began to be tossed about by the reckless media, it became inevitable that we will see more of this.

Sadly, the true afficionados are the one's who have to cope with the disappointment of discovering that the highfalutin' scientific community can be celebrity-seeking glory-hounds endlessly seeking vainglory and grant money. That rather than cooperative teamwork, they are focused on competition... because when your funded by business-minded autocrats, everything is done in the spirit of commerce.

Institutionally speaking, our higher education system and it's "political relevance" is poisoning the progress of humankind.

But hey.... it makes flashy headlines doesn't it?
edit on 12-10-2010 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
hmmm

This makes it even more interesting to me for this reason:

If it hypothetically didn't exist, why did they release the story around the same time as the UFO Nuke NPC Address and the UN Alien Contact story etc...

/0.02

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I was wondering how long it would be before someone dared broach this all to relevant reality.

As science, and her attendant community, began to be tossed about by the reckless media, it became inevitable that we will see more of this.

Sadly, the true afficionados are the one's who have to cope with the disappointment of discovering that the highfalutin' scientific community can be celebrity-seeking glory-hounds endlessly seeking vainglory and grant money. That rather than cooperative teamwork, they are focused on competition... because when your funded by business-minded autocrats, everything is done in the spirit of commerce.

Institutionally speaking, our higher education system and it's "political relevance" is poisoning the progress of humankind.

But hey.... it makes flashy headlines doesn't it?
edit on 12-10-2010 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

This has always been the weakness of science after its original golden age. There was a time, when science justified its own existence, science for the sake of science. However, after the grand narrative fell apart, science is now only legitimized through applicability. So much of our intellectual capacity is spent chasing political motives due to the funding and the brain drain caused by these corporate ( special) interests.

I laugh when I hear scientists flaunt atheism in the spirit of liberation, when in reality they have the boots of fanatics on their necks... Writing their checks...

new topics

top topics

join