It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots Guarding US Nuclear Stockpile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

The US National Nuclear Security Administration recently announced that it has started using autonomous robot vehicles to patrol the vast desert surrounding its Nevada National Security Site (NNSS). The 1360+ square miles of territory is home to millions of tons of low grade nuclear waste, as well as Cold War Era nuclear weapons, and cutting edge nuclear testing research. Guarding those precious nuclear materials is the Mobile Detection Assessment Response System (MDARS) robot, which is essentially a camera on a mini-Hummer.

SingularityHub

Additional source: Slashdot.org

I sure hope they have fail safe method, just in case.
Maybe we should put some of these along the border too.

The first thing I think of after reading this is the scene from Robocop,
"You have ten seconds to drop your weapon!"

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Those robots don't look all that

Lines sorry

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

i hope these aren't the 'lying robots' we've heard so much about.

pretty cool if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

That's what I call a robot

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
On the one hand,
very cool! Maybe a simple first step but the age of mobile robots has begun.

On the other hand
unemployment at 12% and we just used robots to displace more workers, it's not helping provide employment.

I'm not against progress, I'm all for it, it's just bad timing is all.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I am like others in awe of how far technology has advanced since the early days of computers, home pc's, and while these MDARS, act like remote controlled robots, they often act more like a moving camera eye.

While such a piece of equipment like MDARS does serve to inform and provide intelligence that otherwise would be labor intensive, the advancement of certain technologies are moving us into what I believe are dangerous times.

Advancing from a MDARS type robot to a robot that can think and act on its own is what comes next and to make that point clear, as of January 2011, DARPA has officiated Operation Minds Eye and begun corporate partnerships to develop the architecture, systems and programming language needed to advance robots to a self aware and self thinking, seeing and acting on programmed intelligence protocols. In effect, robots that can act in an autonomous and intelligent fashion and without humans being in the loop or decision making process.

Link to DARPA (Mind's Eye) press and media release

www.kurzweilai.net...

While DARPA and the Dept.of Defense seek to begin placing such new advanced technologies on major weapon systems, it also indicates to anyone that understands what is going on that such new advances in certain technologies has a flip side that is also very startling to consider.

In the age of Nazi Germany and specifically the death camps, such a systematic system of human disposal was based on great labor needs and construction and operating costs. When one sees how such a system worked in the face of labor and costs, it is science and technologies that will make the new death camps somewhat different and perhaps totally automated.

Automated killing machines, disposing of humans based on programming instructions and AI computer processes running extermination programming protocols that humans would be reluctant to do. The ultimate means to killing the masses in a cold, calculated, programmed and all in some computer based language.

DARPA Mind's Eye is the next level above technologies like the MDARS and it would behoove us to become familiar with how super AI computers will make evil doers that much more evil in what they can do without all the human failures that come with killing and disposing of human beings in mass numbers, day after day like some machine from hell. Oh well, take MDARS and add a thinking computer and some weapons and you will have a type of robot that would resemble something from the army of Sky-net.

Once they become self aware, which I feel must eventually happen, they just may decide that we are the enemy and if that happens, if they can build and repair themselves, then in affect, the will not need us and may see us as an impedance to their advancement and progress in a technological world where computers rule and humans are only kept for slave purposes to serve the machines.

Anyway, take a look at the Mind's Eye program summary link and understand that this technology is moving forward whether we want it to or not. Follow the corporations involved if you want to learn more.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
They've been talking about a two beam fence system that's a variant of VMADS too - it'll let you past the first beam into a holding area, then turn the beam on behind you. You end up trapped between two ADS beams.

They've also been talking about implementing Silent Guardian here and there.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
They'd save a lot of money if they just threw all that radioactive crap into Yucca Mountain and welded the doors shut.

top topics

join