It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can lobsters scream

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hi there, first of all i simply didnt know what forum to put this in, so because this said water i used this one
Its hardly `ufos` or `paranormal` or `breaking news`

Anyway my question is this, we hear many stories about lobsters screaming when being cooked or put in boiled water, ive heard one story from a chef that theres a story of a lobster pleading with the chef not to kill it

So, are the many many rumours true?
Do lobsters actualy scream?

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well I did find a great article for you to read upon to fin the answer.
Question of life
Surprising answer to the question to life.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Deepwater disaster forum. The perfect choice for this question!

In answer to your question I don't know...

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Lobsters don't scream. The noise that they make when they are dumped in boiling water is apprently the air underneath their shells expanding and rushing out of the holes or gaps in their exoskeleton. A bit like a whistle.
edit on 12-10-2010 by RMFX1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
it's trapped air being pushed out of the shell when you put it in boiling water, crabs do it too.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by daluniverse

I have never heard any crustacean scream when I plunged them into the boiling water, but I can't say with certainty that they don't. I think if they could scream, at least a few of them would've screamed for me.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
well trapped air isnt going to sound like screaming is it
why are there so many stories of the lobster screaming in pain

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by daluniverse

The sound that lobsters make when they are put in boiling water does NOT sound like a scream. It's a whistling sound.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by daluniverse

actually it does kinda sound like a chipmunked version of a scream.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I'm just lurking and wanted to know how this is at all related to a conspiracy?
Seriously?

A lobster can't scream because it has no vocal organs.
Usually they teach you that in elementary school.

[facepalm]
I can't believe I even replied to this.
In the Deepwater Disaster forum where it states clearly:

Deepwater Disaster: Dedicated forum for the discussion of the events, scandals, and conspiracies related to the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig and resulting massive oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

This is Above Top Secret.
Not Yahoo! Answers.

edit on 12-10-2010 by havok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWizard
it's trapped air being pushed out of the shell when you put it in boiling water, crabs do it too.
Okay, I have heard that noise. I think it is a reach to call it a scream though.

Human bodies make noises during cremation, and I have heard people say that it is like a scream. I have been present for several cremations, and I would say the noise was more of a hiss, you could possibly call it a light squeal.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I have bad hearing ,but I can tell you they taste great ...
peace

edit on 12-10-2010 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by daluniverse

Well don't know what to tell you but that's the sound people refer to as screaming.

And seriously...take some time to find the correct forum for this kind of question. It belongs in BTS, the off topic section...no where near The Deepwater forum.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Well.......

There wasn't a lobster pot forum!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
sorry guys .. by the way im browsing all the different forum names
i know billy meier case has a LOT of skeptics but isnt that a big step to label the hoax section with his face?

him and his representetive michael horn must be fuming!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
They don't scream, the sound comes from elsewhere...

Apparently scientists have established a theory that lobsters don't feel pain, they allegedly did research on the subject. There's also an even more researched theory that piglets don't feel when you cut there genitals off and spill there guts while alive - a friend of mine actually witnessed such "experiment" himself.

Either way one thing is for sure, I wouldn't like someone to boil me alive... doesn't sound like its fun.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

You don't say....

Sounds like we need to get a petition going. These sorts of injustices cannot go uncorrected!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SassyCat
They don't scream, the sound comes from elsewhere...

Apparently scientists have established a theory that lobsters don't feel pain, they allegedly did research on the subject. There's also an even more researched theory that piglets don't feel when you cut there genitals off and spill there guts while alive - a friend of mine actually witnessed such "experiment" himself.

Either way one thing is for sure, I wouldn't like someone to boil me alive... doesn't sound like its fun.

I tend to be really sceptical towards the "Scientists" theories saying that certain animals cannot feel pain.
For instance; If lobsters can't "feel", then way do they huddle and retract their eyes when they are inserted into water with different saline-levels they are used to, or if the water is warmer then the colder temperature they are usually accustomed to?

Other than that, boiling a being alive is simply a barbarical thing that is just not done. Atleast in my opinion.
edit on 12-10-2010 by Nightchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
It makes no logical sense that any living creature doesn't have some sort of system which acknowledges stimuli that is linked to bad outcomes.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I starred your post, it makes a good point.

I am not certain that all creatures are aware in the same sense that we are. They may respond to stimuli, but I am not convinced that all feel pain.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join