It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm starting to get jealous of Iceland as well... Like this guy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
www.chrismartenson.com...

On my very first taxi ride in the country, I asked the cabbie what he thought of bankers. "Bankers!" he spat, "I am not a violent man, but if you gave me a gun and lined them up, I would shoot them all!" Navigating around this outburst, I steered the conversation into safer waters, seeking to find out what he thought was the root of the problem. In the course of our conversation, I opined that his analysis of "too much debt," with which I heartily agreed, needed to be shaded with the observation that half of that was external debt and much of that was denominated in something other than Icelandic currency (a rookie mistake in international financing, if ever there was one). He readily agreed, and had numbers at the ready.

These people know their situation; the banks and the government aren't sticking their heads in the sand about the debt situation they got themselves in. It looks like they're learning their lesson. Are we???

My country (Aruba) surely has not. Although the government seems to be giving hints at diversification of the economy (we rely primarily on tourism with U.S. tourists being the majority) but I'm not sure they're on a good pace to ensure that that will protect us in time of need, or that they see it as much of a necessity. I don't know if it's my pessimism or not, but things might be going downhill and soon.

Examples:

What the currency wars mean to you

27 Signs That The Standard Of Living For America’s Middle Class Is Dropping Like A Rock

Prediction: Things Will Unravel Faster Than You Think

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Most people hate bankers for what they have done and are doing to us.

Although we can really only blame our governments for the freedom they gave them to get us in this mess. More regualtion, more State owned banks!

Capitalism at its worst.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm jealous that Icelandic cabbies speak English... or at least the native language. Try having that conversation with a cabbie in New York.

On another note and more on point with the thread, I'm sure it is only a matter of time before Iceland is completely controlled by the same influences that control the rest of the west. The Bankers were already pouring money by the boatload in to Iceland and the World Bank is dispatching economic hitmen by the droves which put them in that position of "fail". This is at least according to John Perkins in his semi-new book titled "Hoodwinked". John Perkins (the economist) after all, claims to be one of those former economic hitmen.

I believe that they will trick the Icelanders and soon have them under their grasp again.

--airspoon
edit on 12-10-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

join