It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Networking Can Increase Feelings of Isolation, Students Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Technology promises more connection than ever before, yet one in seven college students say that social networking sites—such as Facebook, Myspace, and Twitter—actually increases feelings of isolation.

The results come from a recent study conducted by mtvU (MTV’s 24-hour college network), the Jed Foundation, and the Associated Press. It was part of the group’s “Half of Us” campaign examining the mental health of college students, and their relationship with technology.

Social networking has clearly become a significant part of life for college students. The study said 90 percent of students reported visiting a social networking site in the last week, while nearly 40 percent claim to have more than 500 friends on such sites.

CELL PHONE CULTURE: A new study finds that a majority of college students feel compelled to immediately answer a new message on their cell phone, and at least half the time they are uncertain whether the sender is joking or serious.

Source: www.theepochtimes.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Looks like the popular social networking and microblogging sites are an isolating distraction, breaking and straining the bonds between people and focusing more on the smartphone or the PC.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Personally, I would agree with that. I deleted my facebook a couple of weeks ago for that reason. It's like being able to peer into a small piece of someone's life, but not really participate in it. I think facebook takes away from what it is like to be able to truly connect with people, it makes it all seem superficial to me. So I've decided if my friends want to talk to me, they know my number and they know where I live.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bekisu

Hey, I deleted my fb (yes the real delete that is hard to find) for basically the same reasons. I felt stupid typing happy birthday onto people's walls that I didn't even see in real life. Anyways, that was my random thought.

As for cell phones, just keep your # between yourself and those you actually know/care for (pertaining to original post).

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
The cause behind it is implicit; as at times students have insufficient levels of social relations at that point of time they carry digital communication to get rid of unpleasant mood and bareness. As most of the time is consumed in reading email, checking latest photos uploaded by friends, Text messages and posting on social networking sites and frequently visiting friends profile.Technology not simply permits students to make plans and synchronize schedules, but also share feelings and ideas—friends are the top supply college student’s turn to when they need help.

TravelCarma
edit on 20-12-2010 by travelcarma because: signature pending

top topics

join