It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Carolina Man Fights to Keep Religious Signs on His Property

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

I don't think there is a HOA problem here. If there was then he would be in a battle with them and not the city. Apparently he is having an issue with a city ordinance.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Becoming
reply to post by fraterormus

I don't think there is a HOA problem here. If there was then he would be in a battle with them and not the city. Apparently he is having an issue with a city ordinance.

I should have taken more time to read the original source more carefully than the comments in the Thread.

They weren't billboards either as they were only 2ftx1-1/2ft in size, so it wasn't a matter of federal law or a public nuisance issue either.

The public code in his municipality is indeed unconstitutional, plain and simple. Either all signs must require a permit without exception, or all signs must be allowed regardless of their message. To discriminate when it does not violate a specific law (such as when it infringes upon another person's rights through harassment, defamation, or invasion of privacy, or public nuisance), is simply wrong.

It's not unusual for Municipalities, States or even our own Federal Government to pass laws that are accidentally (and sometimes knowingly...ahem, Flag Protection Act) unconstitutional. There is no law that states that a government cannot draft, pass, and enact legislation and laws that are unconstitutional. It is up to We the People to call them on it when they do and invoke the Judiciary Branch of our government to rectify the injustice. That is part and parcel with the responsibilities of Freedom.

Sounds like this guy has done the correct thing. He has challenged the municipal law and his municipality will either have to modify the law to make it constitutional or they will be looking at paying quite a bit of money in damages for having infringed upon his constitutional rights.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
A lot of places have lawn restrictions. Even though it's complete BS, rules are rules.

2nd line.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Becoming

And what about Tatoos ? I find some Offensive on Peoples Bodies , but do I stay up all freakin Night thinking of Ways to Surpress the Freedom of People to have them ? .....LOL , El No !

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

You haven't done anything wrong when you pay for your driver's license renewal either. I just don't see that paying a tiny fee to the county is any great violation of an individual's liberty or freedom.

Driving is not a right protected by the Constitution. It is a privilege. He shouldn't have to pay a fine for expressing his religious freedom. That slope is a slippery one that too many people are willing to blindly go down.

/TOA

<< 1  2   >>

join