It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military pays $7800.00 to upgrade M24 sniper rifle! Now you know why were broke.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The problem isn't the military, it is the overhead of the civilians who handle military procurement.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by nickoli

You have to factor in the man hours, the actual conversion (they are not buying new rifles, they are converting older ones), and most likely the probable case that the specs order are special and need the processes reworked to perform the conversion.

Not to say and ask why...because that is a valid question. But if you think this is why we are broke, you need to look up from your shoes and see that this is only a minute speck of dust compared to what really has tanked this country.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
As far as i can see, nobody on this thread actually manufactured components for the Military other than myself. Someone thinks a Brass Hammer is an alternative..? be ignorant but keep it to yourself. Hammers used in Nuclear Silos are highly specialized and of particular design and manufacture be necessity. Unless you really want Technicians working in Nuclear silos with fuel lines always on and batteries charging to buy their equipment at Home Depot..?
The 600 Toilet seat is a fabricated story, the entire assembly cost just over 600.00, and was a refit and had to be custom molded for the P3.

There are stringent manufacturing procedures used, and reasons for them. On over half the components it cost more for paperwork than actually manufacturing the part, but documentation was required and must be maintained. if anything eliminate some of the paperwork.
But the parts themselves are required to meet engineering specifications for a reason, and custom parts are very expensive.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Yeah,after reading the original article and comparing the $7000.00 timberwolf rifle which was a considered caliber,it appears it wasnt what the military wanted. They desired the lighter faster .300 mag so they went with modifying their in use Remingtons. After considering that they're upgrading the optics also the price doesnt seem too far out of the realm.

As another poster stated,these scopes can be close to $2000.00 and if you add one of those to the timberwolf rifle your at $9k for a rifle/caliber they clearly considered but didnt want. Also factor in they've had many (100 maybe?) years of experience with Remington arms, the men are trained with and used to these actions,triggers and the picture is making alot more sense now.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
They are being built to government specs that throws out the window pricing ! you don't know what the top secret pieces maybe,it could be a good price for what they are getting? they must have had more than one bid to make the guns,the smallest bid wins usually.

Example,to build a gas station on a military post,the regs will make the pumps,tanks,lines and all cost way more than the same station on your corner ! That is what I do I know !

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by nickoli

You have to factor in the man hours, the actual conversion (they are not buying new rifles, they are converting older ones), and most likely the probable case that the specs order are special and need the processes reworked to perform the conversion.

Why are they converting old rifles.
Why nor just build 3600 new rifles in the new caliber.
Then they would not have to take the old rifles out of the field where the troops need them..
Plus in the end the troops would have 7200 high class sniper rifles..

7200 sniper rifles would put more fear into the taliban then 3600.
Plus it would mess up the taliban tactic of attacking US troops from just out side M16 range.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

But now you have new tooling or new machinery to build them possibly, so what is least expensive new or remanufactured? it may be not enough are needed to warrant a multi million dollar contract to make 30 or 40 thousand new guns?

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Then you'd have to pay to retrain all those guys who have been using the M24 and all of a sudden it isn't such a cheaper option...

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
what they need to do is pull everyone out of the middle east and quit wasting the tax payers money on war mongering and government contractors milking the american taxpayer.

there is no reason for us to be there and there never was

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Your total initail cost is overblown.

All the parts and labour are to US business' and US citizens.

When everything is said and done US government will have recollected approximately 50% of the paid value back in taxes.

After you take that into account, it is a bulk bargain price.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ariel bender

As far as i can see, nobody on this thread actually manufactured components for the Military other than myself. Someone thinks a Brass Hammer is an alternative..? be ignorant but keep it to yourself. Hammers used in Nuclear Silos are highly specialized and of particular design and manufacture be necessity. Unless you really want Technicians working in Nuclear silos with fuel lines always on and batteries charging to buy their equipment at Home Depot..?
The 600 Toilet seat is a fabricated story, the entire assembly cost just over 600.00, and was a refit and had to be custom molded for the P3.

There are stringent manufacturing procedures used, and reasons for them. On over half the components it cost more for paperwork than actually manufacturing the part, but documentation was required and must be maintained. if anything eliminate some of the paperwork.
But the parts themselves are required to meet engineering specifications for a reason, and custom parts are very expensive.

Yes brass. I was a MILSPEC safety observer during the assembly/disassembly of air launched guided missiles (amongst other things I won't discuss), and even on yellow band configurations. They used brass and nylon hammers. I've also done commercial/industrial electrical work and have worked around fuel (and other volatile chemicals) and high voltage for a couple decades. We used brass and rubber/leather dead blow hammers (from Grainger and MSC, not home depot).
The $600 P3 seat was not a retrofit. I had a buddy that was part of the crew. It was a replacement seat, and that was back in the mid 1980's. It was cracked.
I can agree that there are times when material applications are critical, and there are other times when they are not. When a new tool is required, often there is a mountain of paperwork and exhaustive engineering power lunches, but in the end, it's all about being safe and practical. I don't have a $90,000 tool box inventory, but I have enough to safely work on anything I would need.
You pose some interesting perspectives on this

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
All this cost makes this weapon not much more effective than the $50 weapon the ressistance uses. The money would be better spent educating soldiers not to invade sovereign countries on false pretenses.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
All this cost makes this weapon not much more effective than the $50 weapon the ressistance uses. The money would be better spent educating soldiers not to invade sovereign countries on false pretenses.

You obviously never shot a .300 mag so the comparison is forgiven, If you want us to stop invading countries then get a voters card and do something about it rather than using someones post, or better yet get your own post to bitch about how you feel about the war on terrorist ! The soldiers are doing their duty,its not their job to question the orders they are given ! It is your job to do that ! So much for Obummers ending the war

top topics

<< 1   >>

join