It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protect police from lawsuits, says Met chief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Protect police from lawsuits, says Met chief

www.guardian.co.uk

Sir Paul Stephenson, the commissioner of the Metropolitan police, has privately lobbied the home secretary to make it harder for people to take legal action against his force, the Guardian has learned.

Critics say the plans amount to an attempt by the police to put themselves beyond the rule of law and undermine constitutional safeguards against abuses of power.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Gee, what a surprise...not.

In the corpo-fascist police state which is unfolding and the ever-increasing awareness and RECORDING of abuses of power and civil rights by the populace, this is a MUST for those trying to ENFORCE this stomping all over the civilianry. Can't have the peasants holding thugs accountable for their actions now, can we?

So much for this guy's wish of his ridiculous, tyrannical memo to stay "confidential" though. lol. It and he just got exposed.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

how about stop commiting crimes and betraying what little, if any trust the people have in you. i mean is this guy smoking crack or what

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Trials without juries and now this.
look's like they're plans are coming along nicely.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Its nigh on impossible to get a copper into court over their actions as it is. I cant really see how it could be made more difficult, unless they simply banned taking legal action against them altogether. I think they'll want to keep the iron fist inside the velvet glove for the time being. Still, just goes to show that the men at the top really are fascists, so well done The Grauniad!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Wait a minute... They are already difficult to get to face justice for their crimes. Even then they get off with much less than ordinary citizen would. Now they wan't to make it harder? Discusting. Soon they'll just make it a law to make it illegal to gather any evidence against officials by recording them in any method

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Actually, I just remembered this. I'm not sure if, in legal terms, the Police are deemed to be 'acting on behalf of The Crown', in the same way that Govt officials, the security services & military are, but if so, then as long as they're not acting in a private capacity, there already is a law which specifically protects them from being prosecuted for conspiracy to commit crime.
Thats 1 of The major stumbling blocks to getting people prosecuted for collusion with torture in places like Uzbekistan.

new topics

top topics

join