It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 Cities About To Sink

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Hi there ATS!
I found this quite interesting article in yahoo about different cities under threat of sinking. I was surprised to find out about one city that is mentioned in the article. Also if anyone else knows of any other cities facing the same kind of imminent threat, please feel free to share your knowledge in this thread.
Also make what you will of this article. It could clearly be blaming climate change(Though I think its a load of BS) for the sinking of the cities mentioned but the article writer decides not to go there. I guess we can just all connect the dots and take our own conclusions.
Enjoy it!

By Miriam B. Weiner

Many of us take for granted the notion that all of our beloved cities will be around for centuries to come. However, cities around the world seem to be vying for the title of "The Next Atlantis." Shaky foundations and encroaching seas are posing significant threats to some of the world's largest and most beloved cities. When planning your next vacation, keep in mind that some of the world's favorite destinations have a bit of a ticking clock on them. Here are seven major cities that are preparing to take the plunge.

Source: 7 Cities About To Sink
edit on 11-10-2010 by ringht_n_wrong because: Add information...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
...wasnt surprised by any of them, especially houston - floodprone due to the bayous and building on natural wet lands... there used to be a common saying that all you had to do to make it flood in houston was spit twice, lol...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Already with over 40% of the world's population residing in coastal locations (70% of the world's population live on coastal plains, and 11 of the world's 15 largest cities are on the coastal estuaries), with that number expecting to rise at least another 35% in the next 15 years, we will inevitably see more than just sinking cities if rising sea levels continue to increase as they already are. Already 2.75 billion people are subject to immediate coastal threats from global warming, rising sea levels, and stronger hurricanes in addition to other natural disasters like tsunamis, with another 2 billion people at secondary risk.

For those that don't subscribe to global warming, the 20th century saw an 8 inch rise in sea levels (10x faster than the 2000 year average), and the most moderate of projections anticipate a 34.6 inch rise in sea levels throughout the 21st century.

Who needs to depopulate the world through other conspiratorial means when ocean-front views might just do the job all by it's lonesome.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Well I was surprised at New York being in danger of sinking. Since I'm not American and never been to the US let alone New York, I haven't really heard anything on New York sinking, so yeah it was quite a surprise for me. I've read about Houston sinking a couple years ago somewhere on the news, but New York or even Bangkok I didn't have the slightest suspicion.

Regards,

ringht_n_wrong

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus

For those that don't subscribe to global warming, the 20th century saw an 8 inch rise in sea levels (10x faster than the 2000 year average), and the most moderate of projections anticipate a 34.6 inch rise in sea levels throughout the 21st century.

I know you meant no harm in the above comment, but Its not that I don't think that theres no global warming. Yeah there is and its kindda hard not to notice(all time record temperatures in Finland where I live), but I believe that this so called "global warming" is not caused by carbon emissions, but probably by a natural cycle that our planet goes through every given amount of years or maybe centuries! And yeah, rising sea levels are such a threat that I better go visit some of those cities before they are completely gone from the face of earth.

Regards,

ringht_n_wrong

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
the biggest contributor to global warming is the Sun. other planets are getting warmer as well.

going green/fighting global warming is just making companies and individuals lots and lots of money.

Al Gore

Financial disclosure documents released before the 2000 election put the Gore family's net worth at $1 million to $2 million. After years of public service. Available data indicate a net worth well in excess of $100 million.

source - www.fastcompany.com...

European Carbon Credit Scheme

The European Union (EU) Emission Trading System (ETS) has been the victim of fraudulent traders in the past 18 months. This resulted in losses of approximately 5 billion euros for several national tax revenues. It is estimated that in some countries, up to 90% of the whole market volume was caused by fraudulent activities.

source - www.europol.europa.eu...

this is a common theme if you search. new rules and regulations are put into place to combat global warming. incredible amounts of profits are made, and really nothing has changed, global warming is still happening. we are then told that more rules and regulations are needed, more money is made. still no progress on global warming.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ringht_n_wrong

Aw man...I'm finally getting to go to the Big Easy, and they put it on that list. Like our hometown heroes sing:
My memory is muddy what's this river I'm in
New Orleans is sinking and I don't want to swim

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ringht_n_wrong
I don't think that theres no global warming. Yeah there is and its kindda hard not to notice(all time record temperatures in Finland where I live), but I believe that this so called "global warming" is not caused by carbon emissions, but probably by a natural cycle that our planet goes through every given amount of years or maybe centuries! And yeah, rising sea levels are such a threat that I better go visit some of those cities before they are completely gone from the face of earth.

...i go with the natural cycle too... what are your record temps up there?...

...about visiting the sinkers (shame on me, lol), think about how long venice has been sinking and its still there... maybe - just maybe - this was a pr ploy to encourage travel...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I don't understand, why is "global warming" a contributing cause to some cities sinking but other coastlines have remained stable?

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Hey buddy...well here in Finland we had up to almost 40 degrees Celsius(don't know how much that is in Fahrenheit), but where I live it hit 38celsius...(when the average high is between 28 and 30 for a week or so)...and it not only hit that high but it remained like that for almost 2 months...I know we didn't have it as bad as Russia, but still...we're talking about almost 10 degrees celsius difference in the average temperature here...It felt like we were in the rain forest back in Brazil....
....now what causes the temperatures to rise like that, I'm not sure, I just know that compared to last summer which was max 28celsius for a week......this summer was really a killer....

Regards,

ringht_n_wrong

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Natural disasters like tsunamis.

The whole east coast could be wiped out by a landslide on the island of Las Palmas in the Canary Islands.
The west coast could be hit by tsunamis from a number of sources like the Cascadia subduction zone.
You do not even want to try to count the number of tsunami sources that could hit Hawaii

Who need global warming.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
Natural disasters like tsunamis.
The whole east coast could be wiped out by a landslide on the island of Las Palmas in the Canary Islands.
The west coast could be hit by tsunamis from a number of sources like the Cascadia subduction zone.
You do not even want to try to count the number of tsunami sources that could hit Hawaii
Who need global warming.

Hey buddy....care to post some links on the Las Palmas possible future landslide and on the "uncountable" tsunami that could hit Hawaii? Would be great to have that kind of info here so more of us could help connect the dots....

Regards,

ringht_n_wrong

new topics

top topics

join