It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are racists and homophobes so hated?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
How can someone's views or opinions possibly infringe upon anybody's rights or freedoms ?

If such a person was in a position of political power that their views on race or sexual preference dictated public policy or law, thereby preventing people of certain sexual preferences of races from living their lives in the same level of freedom and equality as everyone else. That's what i meant.

In other words, some people hold beliefs that you personally find upsetting. I'm afraid that's just tough luck.

I don't find it upsetting. If someone wants to hate a group of people, let them. So long as they don't actively try to stop those people from enjoying the same level of freedoms the hater does.

Hating the hater is unconstructive and counter-productive. Your idea of a better society would be better achieved if you didn't display this attitude.

No it isn't. How is it counter productive? What is productive by appreciating someone's beliefs who would otherwise set society backwards? If someone's beliefs are such that it means a group of people, who wish nothing more than to live and contribute to society, are prevented from their freedoms - how is 'hating' that counter productive?

If someone hates nazis or racists or murders - that's hating a group of people who work to destroy peace and harmony and society - antisocial behaviour. And to me that's fine.

If someone hates gays or people based on colour - that's hating a group of people who are NOT antisocial, who are not working to destroy anything. And that isn't fine.
edit on 12-10-2010 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by HefficideI feel a societal responsibility to disagree with that which is unproductive or destructive to my fellow humans.

But that's probably how *they* feel as well. Everyone thinks they're right. Especially when the majority agrees. But does it necessarily make it right?

Of course not, but people follow trends and history will always repeat itself. (As unfortunate as that may be.)

For example:
Whites felt they were better then blacks. It was a major belief held by many. This has of course changed. But was it right just because the majority felt that way?

My own thoughts of course.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Why do people ask stupid things like: "Why are racists and homophobes so hated?"
2nd

edit on 12-10-2010 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

ps.
Homophobic doesn't mean to be against gays. It just means you fear gay's - about 90% of all men are homophobic, while they find it okey of others are gay. The next (ugly) question is: I don't like the idea of anal-sex. But a lot of heterosexual colleague practice that with their girlfriends. How can someone find gay people ugly and "not Christian", while they do anal sex themsself?! And I am not talking about gay pedo priests now....
edit on 12-10-2010 by cushycrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Hi, yes. Why do I asked a stuid question like this?

Why do you feel the need to then reply, if the question is so stupid. And not just reply, but going ahead and try to give an answer to a hard question, one that you don't seem to understand.

Thanks for your input.

VvV

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
why are they soo hated?

ever hear the term..

"what you put out into the Universe, comes right back to you" ?

It is simple karma.

You spread and exude hate and negativity, you will receive only hate and negativity.

They are the ones who $*&^ in their own backyards, it is inevitable they will step in it.

Want to spread hate? you will receive hate.
Very simple.

haters, wake the fk up and realize you are no different than anyone else..
things will get easier.

I still find racist people far worse than homophobes though.

But all intolerant people fn suck.

edit on 12-10-2010 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2010 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I don't agree that we all have racism at our very core, although we do judge people by the way they look, the ethnic difference is a big diffference visually.

We prejudge certain aspects of that person based on certain cultural beliefs that we have of that race. Even though that persons culture maybe the same as our own. Wrong, yes, but we all do it. It's only when we get to know the individual that we learn the true content of that character.

I wouldn't call that racist, as racism sees one race superior over another.

As for the homophones, well, that hatred seeems to either come from the religious aspect, disgust at the act of sex or fear of their own feelings towards the same sex.

The religious side of the arguement gets trashed everytime, as religion is a personal belief in the authenticity of the scripture being the word of God. If we all started to treat others according to our individual religious beliefs there would be chaos. No-one has the right or should have the right to inflict their religious views or their way of life onto people who don't share that faith.

As for the disgust at the sex thing, well most people will find the thought of their parents having sex revolting, whatever they get upto in bed. It doesn't mean they are immoral or wrong. The anal sex thig gets raised but not all gay people do that. Some straight people do it though.

The health issues regarding gay sex gets excitedly mentioned by some. Like 20% of gay men have HIV. Well that is an issue about safe sex. Std's aren't restricted to homosexuals. Again as I said in a different thread, if a new STD came into existence that only infected women, would it make it right for someone to quote those statistics to back up an arguement claiming women are unhealthy or wrong? I hope not.

edit on 12-10-2010 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I really believe that the answer to your question is quite simple. It's called the law of attraction. If a person projects hatred towards others then they will attract the same hatred upon themselves and if a person projects love and tolerance, guess what they will attract? It's their choice. No one is putting anything on them that they are not putting on others. Quite simply, they hate themselves through their hatred of others.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
I would never and will never side with the majority of people because there is a majority, I will side with the one that makes the most sense in my thoughts.

There's a complete difference between siding with one particular stance ideologically, and agreeing that the implementation of a particular law should be dictated by the wishes of the majority.

I, personally, don't see any harm in gay people getting married, but I'd disagree with a law allowing it, if it was implemented against the wishes of the people.

Otherwise, then a minority is dictating what the majority should accept.

Originally posted by predator0187
I also do not think people have to get married to have certain rights is allowable. Is marriage not religious? Then why should I do something that is religious to get extra rights and privileges? Sounds stupid to me.

I'm pretty sure you can partake in a civil marriage at a registrar office, that has no connection to religion whatsoever.

At least, in the UK you can.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
If such a person was in a position of political power that their views on race or sexual preference dictated public policy or law, thereby preventing people of certain sexual preferences of races from living their lives in the same level of freedom and equality as everyone else. That's what i meant.

In the West, our representatives are democratically elected ( theoretically, anyway
).

If someone openly holds beliefs that you outline above, and the voters elect him into a position of power, then that is one of the prices you've got to pay for democracy.

I'm pretty sure that 99% of racists and homophobes will never hold a position of political power, so your original point is somewhat moot.

I don't find it upsetting. If someone wants to hate a group of people, let them. So long as they don't actively try to stop those people from enjoying the same level of freedoms the hater does.

Well, if that's the case, then I must say that your initial points come across as rather ambiguous.

Your comments appeared to indiscriminately include anyone that holds racist or homophobic beliefs.

Thanks for clarifying your stance, though.

No it isn't. How is it counter productive? What is productive by appreciating someone's beliefs who would otherwise set society backwards? If someone's beliefs are such that it means a group of people, who wish nothing more than to live and contribute to society, are prevented from their freedoms - how is 'hating' that counter productive?

Sorry, but you are guilty of something of a false dichotomy here.

''Not hating'' doesn't lead to the only or obvious alternative being ''appreciating''.

Despite the flippant and erroneous use of the word ''hate'' by many on ATS, ''hate'' is a very strong, and mostly unproductive emotion to embroil yourself in.

Again, ''setting society backwards'' in your opinion.

A neo-Nazi probably thinks that people that hold your views are ''setting society backwards'' by not wanting to get rid of the ''untermensch''.

It's counter-productive, because hate usually doesn't do anyone any favours.

You become exactly the same as the people that you hate.

They hate one group of people. You hate another group of people. You are as bad as each other.

If someone hates nazis or racists or murders - that's hating a group of people who work to destroy peace and harmony and society - antisocial behaviour. And to me that's fine.

It's not as black and white as that.

Nazis or racists often think the ''end justifies the means''. Many Nazis thought that getting rid of the ''Jewish problem'' would have an overall benefit to society.

Similarly, many people nowadays who think that ''Muslims should go back to where they came from'', believe that their society would be better off without Muslim immigrants and their descendants.

In both cases, Nazis and Islamophobes believe that their viewpoint will create peace and harmony in society.

You can't prove that your idea for a better society is the correct one, just as a Nazi can't prove that their idea is the correct one.

In the end, it all comes down to personal, subjective opinions, that are impossible to prove right or wrong.

Everybody believes that their views are the correct ones - otherwise they wouldn't believe what they do.

If someone hates gays or people based on colour - that's hating a group of people who are NOT antisocial, who are not working to destroy anything. And that isn't fine.

In your opinion.

And as above, those of a differing opinion, such as racists, homophobes, Islamophobes etc. would no doubt disagree with you.

Unless you can actually provide evidence that your ideologies and views are correct ( which is impossible ), then it seems completely counter-productive and divisive to hate those that hold different views to you.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
I don't agree that we all have racism at our very core, although we do judge people by the way they look, the ethnic difference is a big diffference visually.

We prejudge certain aspects of that person based on certain cultural beliefs that we have of that race. Even though that persons culture maybe the same as our own. Wrong, yes, but we all do it. It's only when we get to know the individual that we learn the true content of that character.

I wouldn't call that racist, as racism sees one race superior over another.

As for the homophones, well, that hatred seeems to either come from the religious aspect, disgust at the act of sex or fear of their own feelings towards the same sex.

The religious side of the arguement gets trashed everytime, as religion is a personal belief in the authenticity of the scripture being the word of God. If we all started to treat others according to our individual religious beliefs there would be chaos. No-one has the right or should have the right to inflict their religious views or their way of life onto people who don't share that faith.

As for the disgust at the sex thing, well most people will find the thought of their parents having sex revolting, whatever they get upto in bed. It doesn't mean they are immoral or wrong. The anal sex thig gets raised but not all gay people do that. Some straight people do it though.

The health issues regarding gay sex gets excitedly mentioned by some. Like 20% of gay men have HIV. Well that is an issue about safe sex. Std's aren't restricted to homosexuals. Again as I said in a different thread, if a new STD came into existence that only infected women, would it make it right for someone to quote those statistics to back up an arguement claiming women are unhealthy or wrong? I hope not.

edit on 12-10-2010 by Tykonos because: (no reason given)

Racism is a symptom of another phenomena in humans. Is this a bad thing? Well, it depends on how you deal with it.

We all have our natural defenses. Things that are different can tend to be dangerous, at least in times past. As well, when you burn your hand on a hot pan, you learn to not do that again.

So, here you have two bases of racism (the third being groupthink/herd mentality). In one, you dislike just because it i different. My youngest son is compassionate, but when he sees someone who is mentally ill it makes him gag.

With the other you have people who may have been victimized by a certain race or type of person, and an aversion was developed.

Then, as mentioned, there is the groupthink mentality (kids do this a lot, singling out 1 classmate that everyone picks on for some perceived difference they have).

All humans have the capability for racism, with at least three paths towards being a racist. Some are racist, some don't like fat people, some cannot stand redheads, some don't like "little people", and some just dislike certain nationalities. But everyone has the underlying mechanisms that causes this behavior. It is ingrained into the human psyche.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

I don't mind racists or homophobes at all.
In fact, I'm not free of prejudice myself. I mean let's be honest - who is really free of all class, race, gender, religious, geographical prejudice?

I will only complain when people advocate violence or use slurs.
When homophobes use slurs, they make me want to retaliate in kind and use slurs.
And presto! - next things ATS will just be a collection of slurs and insults.

So be prejudiced - bring more grist to the proverbial mill.

But be a bit intelligent about it please...

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yeah, sure.
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Apparently if you hate them you become them.

Second Line
edit on 11-10-2010 by Yeah, sure. because: thats why

Why do people hate Pedophiles and child killers?

Are they not pure evil?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Personally, I don't like racists and homophobes because they keep society as a whole from moving forward. There's always constant bullying and war and murder or suicides or both and nothing will ever get finished. Narrow-minded people literally keep us from evolving.

Ah, religion. It gives us so much hope but takes away everything else.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ohsnaptruth
Personally, I don't like racists and homophobes because they keep society as a whole from moving forward. There's always constant bullying and war and murder or suicides or both and nothing will ever get finished. Narrow-minded people literally keep us from evolving.

Ah, religion. It gives us so much hope but takes away everything else.

QFT

Why do people hate John Wayne Gayce and ted bundy? Because they hurt people.

Hurting people = bad.
Terrorizing people = bad
Humilating people = bad
Explioting people = bad
Oppressing people = bad
Killing people = bad

edit on 15-10-2010 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join