It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virgin Galactic's spaceship makes solo flight

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Virgin Galactic's suborbital spaceship, Enterprise, has made its first solo test flight, in California.

The spaceship was carried to an altitude of 45,000ft (13,700m) by an aeroplane and then dropped to glide back to the Mojave Air and Space Port.

Enterprise will soon be taking people prepared to pay $200,000 (£126,000) on short hops above the atmosphere.

www.bbc.co.uk...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d68ee318c53.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52e67fcd6628.jpg[/atsimg]

So we are moving closer to the first actual flights from Virgin Galactic to take paying customers with their first solo flight being a success. The test was piloted by Pete Siebold and Mike Alsbury which would be some what of amazing feeling for the pair. They still need to test the rocket motor propulsion system and confirm that all systems are indeed running correctly before passengers will be taken but the is still a big step forward.

At $200,000 a ticket it is still out of most peoples price range but Virging have already taken 370 deposits to take the journey. I know if I had that cash I would too.

www.virgingalactic.com...
edit on 11-10-2010 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Yeah its one of those, things you have to do before you die sort of things. Apart from seing the earths atmosphere from above. I dont think there will really be much to see. Its more of a, at least i can say ive been in to space things.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I think everybody should get the chance to see it just once, it would be amazing. Reminds me of the documentary with James May in the U2 plane. Although Virgin will be going a bit higher and you can experience the weightlessness.

Hopefully once it is seen as viable more companies will get involved and push the prices down so you don't have to leave your kids with a second mortgage when your gone.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Yeah but i think the weightlesness will be confined to the give in your seat belt strap. I think the idea of everyday passengers bouncing around the plane would send insurance premiums through the roof. If you could unstrap and truely experience the weightlesness then that would be fantastic.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into that thing.

To me, it seems like an accident waiting to happen. But then I don't like flying at the best of times.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

I believe they intend to let you out of your seat, at least that is the plan and they will train you for micro gravity.
They mention enjoying zero G and astrobatics.

www.virgingalactic.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Well in that case i would defo want to go up in it. Good on Richy B if you ask me. I wish more billionaires shared his visions.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Thanks for the info, I am surprised no-one flagged this before me.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

You happy now lmao!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by KrypticCriminal

Yes, that's much better. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Lol, well these threads never do pack the same kind of punch as the more sensationalist ones, but it is still quite interest news never the less. I mean it is quite a big leap forward to making space more accessible to everyone.
Kind of what many of us as kids dreamed of, maybe not as spectacular but still it's a start.

Also a nice little vid of the test flight.

edit on 11-10-2010 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This will bring an whole new meaning to the "Mile High Club" to be precise it will be the 68 Mile High Club

I've just bought x2 $200,000 tickets, if there are any beautiful single ladies on ATS fancy a free trip into space...names and addresses on a postcard please, i will pick 1 lucky lady out of an hat

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DayDreamBeliever

Hah, only last night was the show 'Sex in Space' on tv.
Not as easy as it would seem.

This the first part, the other parts are up on youtube.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Haha i saw a documentary a while back it may have been the one linked, i cant check as my connex is too slow (mobile phone) the lady and the guy had velcro suits specially made...they went up in the vomit comet to test it out.

I'm sure either the Ruskies or the yanks would of already tried it out in Space a long time ago ....

I seem to remember a crew including an Husband and Wife on a Shuttle mission a while back

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I remember that episode of Top Gear. I remember being amazed that the American pilot of that U2 knew the word gobsmacked. That was a cool episode...

This thing looks really cool. I'm just wondering about 45,000 feet though. Seems like it's not high enough to see any stars or to feel like you were out in space. And since a plane can take you to that height it's just like going up in a regular plane and then gliding down from that height.

I think this thing needs to penetrate the membrane of the atmosphere , and do so on it's own accord, and then the Virgin spaceship will be worthy of being called the Enterprise.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsmusic

45,000 feet is just a test flight though, to see how the spaceship will perform when it comes back inside the atmosphere to land. They haven't got to testing the rocket stages yet. I believe that it is planned to go to 70,000 feet(21km), apparantly giving about 6 minutes of weightlessness. But I think they are also going ot offer or be able to go up to past the defined boundary of sdpacene(100km) so they can lengthen the experience.

So basically atm it is still testing each component of the craft, but each successful test is a step closer.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I put a thread up cause I didn't see yours........Yes...she is sweet this Virgin Galatic thinkamajiggy!

S&F

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Check the Link below, they reckon 68 miles or 110 kilometres high! PHEW! that is HIGH!

reply to post by pazcat

[url=http://news.discovery.com/space/how-high-will-virgin-galactic-fly.html] How High Will Virgin Galactic Fly?

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat

45,000 feet is just a test flight though, to see how the spaceship will perform when it comes back inside the atmosphere to land. They haven't got to testing the rocket stages yet. I believe that it is planned to go to 70,000 feet(21km), apparantly giving about 6 minutes of weightlessness. But I think they are also going ot offer or be able to go up to past the defined boundary of sdpacene(100km) so they can lengthen the experience.

So basically atm it is still testing each component of the craft, but each successful test is a step closer.

that makes a lot more sense. Thanks , pazcat. Very cool machine in that case!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Wow my spelling and comprehension skills was way off yesterday morning, even more than usual.
Never a better argument for strong coffee.

But yeah the info is there now. White Knight II will climb to 60,000feet to give preview sessions involving a short period of weightlessness, primarily as training before the main flight. Then Space Ship II will launch from WK2 to reach about 110km up to the Karman Line for the full on experience..
edit on 13-10-2010 by pazcat because: not any better today really:p

edit on 13-10-2010 by pazcat because: I liked it better when you could delete your edits.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join