It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's versus the Busy Body PC Police

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Is it possible that there's a connection between MacDonald's being the first high visibility business to buck Obamacare (by canceling their "limited" insurance plans- seeking a waiver) & this lawsuit?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If people don't want McDonalds happy meals for the kiddies, Don't buy them!
Roll your fat butt down to Burger King, Carls Jr, or Jack in the Box.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Somebody ougtha Create a New Fast Food Franchise in this Country that No Protest Group could Intimidate . How about " The Veggie Shack " ? They would sell Only Vegtable Dishes and Nothing Else ! ...... Hey Kids ! Who Wants some Chocolate Covered Brussell Sprouts and a Star Wars Action Figure ? ...................Me....Me .Me ! ........

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Top quality beef and chicken?? I have never laughed so hard.
I will do you two steaks,one from a proper beef cow and one from a 12yr old dairy chopper,lets see if ya eat the chopper.
Quality and safety assurance measures have nothing to do with healthy food nor predatory marketing.They must be adhered too, to run any food business.
A series called ' THE CORPORATION ' will show how children are targeted.

Top quality KRAFT cheese,pmsl rolling on the floor with my sides splitting,you mean the top quality cheese made to mc donalds specification, and one of those specifications is that it must not have any taste??

Any of these fast food corporations are there to make PROFIT,not to care for your well being.

Agreed the party that wishes to sue should keep their heads out of it,however iam surprised at the support for a globalist corporation here at ats.

Fast food giants are a stain on society.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
at 1 dollar or so a meal or in the u.k. 1 pound or so a meal, and the economy the way it is and (healthy) food prices rising i think that Mcdonalds will be the difference between starving and getting by pretty soon if not already for some people. i believe it is more of a sad reflection on society when food that is essential for a healthy diet is far more expensive than crap food. dos'nt anybody think prices has anything to do with it? or do you really think parents rush out only for a cheap tiny tacky toy.

i think it will always be a problem while ever food prices rise and junk stays cheap.

in general, the toy thing, first of all there are many places that offer incentives to buy their product, why single out Mcdonalds, there are plenty to choose from, win a free ipod if you buy our crisps, get a voucher if you buy our fizzy pop, collect 10 to get your free (whatever).

is'nt the choice with the parents? or the kids if you give them money to spend? or do we now have parents who tell other parents how to bring up their kids and make these decisions for us? whilst i agree mcdonalds is bad and would not advise feeding it to your kids, telling other people what they can and cannot buy is just plain wrong, if people want a toy with it, so what.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

Damn, things have changed from the mid-90's. I remember when people who saw themselves as populists actually thought companies like McDonald's were a threat to Democracy. Now, people mock the mechanisms of democracy from protecting themselves from corporations interests.

Most people who advocate free markets are not at all interested in the tyranny of democracy and are much more interested in the rule of law that protects the rights of all individuals. If you are such an opponent of corporatism, then it would be fair to assume that you are putting all the pressure you can on your states attorney general to revoke charters of incorporation to those corporations you believe are a threat to your rights. Of course, my guess is that you're justanotherdood who whines and whines about the corporation but when shown how you can effectively reign in corporations, you'll probably change your tune and begin explaining why corporations are necessary.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Uh who has the money, the parents or the kids? Ya thats what I thought, what a stupid argument.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Damn, things have changed from the mid-90's. I remember when people who saw themselves as populists actually thought companies like McDonald's were a threat to Democracy. Now, people mock the mechanisms of democracy from protecting themselves from corporations interests.

Most people who advocate free markets are not at all interested in the tyranny of democracy and are much more interested in the rule of law that protects the rights of all individuals. If you are such an opponent of corporatism, then it would be fair to assume that you are putting all the pressure you can on your states attorney general to revoke charters of incorporation to those corporations you believe are a threat to your rights. Of course, my guess is that you're justanotherdood who whines and whines about the corporation but when shown how you can effectively reign in corporations, you'll probably change your tune and begin explaining why corporations are necessary.

While I appreciate your baseless and off-topic character assassination attempt, you clearly are glossing-over or entirely missing a few key points; NAmely-I'm not taking to task all 'corporations' as some monolithic entity (as your careful editing of my quote would attempt to suggest). I'm pointing out that pretending that this sort of legislation if harmful to 'personal liberties' is ABSURD unless you are one who believes that corporations should have the same rights as actual humans.

You would appear to be one of those folks. McDonald's is not your friend.
edit on 11-10-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
Uh who has the money, the parents or the kids? Ya thats what I thought, what a stupid argument.

the kids have the money if you give it to them, here is 3 pound for helping with the garden.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Well, I can see you read the headline. Now, go back and read the entire article and see it is FAR more complex and in-depth than your simplistic assumptions.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

yes and we all know kids spend their allowances on food. point taken but i still don't agree.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The human race managed before corporations,they can manage again.
Corporations have manipulated everything from food to clothing,oil and water, they make you have the impression that you cant live without them.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

and that is fine, the difference is i am not going to sue in order to have my view pushed on you because i think differently, unlike the O.P. story. its not about agreeing its about choice. and if things like the O.P. is allowed to happen then it becomes a slippery slope, and before you know it everybody's lives will be micro managed by some group who think you should be not allowed to do this or that.
edit on 11-10-2010 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2010 by lifeform11 because: spellings

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   

While I appreciate your baseless and off-topic character assassination attempt, you clearly are glossing-over or entirely missing a few key points; NAmely-I'm not taking to task all 'corporations' as some monolithic entity (as your careful editing of my quote would attempt to suggest).

First of all, let's be perfectly clear here, I quoted you verbatim and simply just cut and pasted your words, and used the quote feature. They are your words as you wrote them and there was no "careful editing" as you claim.

Secondly, you brought up the idea that democracies should protect themselves from corporate interest. If people truly want to protect themselves from corporate interest it would behoove them to know that corporations exist by grant of charter, granted by the government. In a "democracy" one would think the people would have a say in who gets to have, and who gets to keep a corporate charter. Of course, true to form, instead of showing any interest in real solutions to handling corporate interests, instead you bluster and bray that such a suggestion is "off topic".

I'm pointing out that pretending that this sort of legislation if harmful to 'personal liberties' is ABSURD unless you are one who believes that corporations should have the same rights as actual humans.

If you are referring to H.R. 2749, The Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009, you clearly know nothing about it, and are willfully ignoring that corporations are in support of this legislation, while private individuals who fear their personal liberties are being threatened are the ones who oppose it, but look at you, typically attempting to frame opposition to this imprudent legislation as a corporate interest. Ignorance of the law is not excuse.

You would appear to be one of those folks. McDonald's is not your friend.

Any one paying close attention knows who the corporate shills are in this thread, and I am not one of them. The worst thing about the CSPI is that their actions has had the effect of making McDonald's look good, and this is perhaps my greatest complaint with them. That said, while McDonald's deserves the criticism they've earned, they do not deserve defamation. If people can't be honest in their criticisms of McDonald's, why should anyone take those criticisms seriously?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Interesting that you should mention Jack in the Box, they left the State of Michigan years ago because they refused to conform to Michigan's very strick meat laws. I think it was California and also Washington State where people died eating Jack in the Box hamburgers. Good luck if you eat their food.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

You completely miss the point I was making.

I didn't say kids force their parents. Why do parents, who know McDonalds is crap, still take their kids there? Because its an easy lazy way to appease the kids.

I was trying to point out that parents use McDonalds as a substitute to what they should be doing, and kids grow up thinking that IS the way to raise kids. Know no one knows any better. McDonalds knows and exploits this fact by aiming their products at kids. Kids are the reason most parents take their kids to McDonalds for happy meals with a free toy. McDonalds is exploiting the situation by offering an easy way for parents to make their kids temperately happy. But the kids are fed crap, yes burgers and fries are crap for kids and adults. We have an obese and unhealthy population. We have kids growing up thinking buying and giving gifts is how to show love, creating a very shallow population. All done to maintain profits for someone, not for the health of the kids, or adults.

I'm not talking about anyone personally here on this board, just the general population. You personally may not fit the stereotype, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
edit on 11-10-2010 by Wally Hope because: typo

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Actually, there is still one Jack in the Box location in Michigan. The address is 6032 Fish Lake
North Branch, MI 48461.

Your claim of hundreds of people dying because they ate hamburgers from Jack in the Box is exaggerated, although nothing to scoff at. Jack in the Box did indeed suffer a huge public relations disaster because of an E. coli outbreak:

Jack in the Box's success came to a halt in the 1990s because of two main factors: 1) the national recession of 1990-91 (the company suffered an 81 percent decline in net earnings in 1991) and more importantly, the E. coli epidemic of 1993: Four children died and hundreds of others became sick in the Seattle area as well as California, Idaho and Nevada, after eating undercooked and contaminated meat from Jack in the Box. It was the largest and deadliest E. coli outbreak in American history up to that time.

en.wikipedia.org...

While the number of deaths were four, they were four children, and hundreds of people did get sick because of this outbreak, which was due to undercooked meat.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Busy Bodies!

The woods are full of them JP! They want to dictate what others drink, eat, read, watch, wear, and play with!
(I just made that last one up)

But truly, I'm wondering if they will make their own party. The Busy Body party.

"All up in yo business" could be the motto.

or

The Busy Body Party --- for The Self Righteous -- sign up today!

hehe. Great thread. I love to read you.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Interesting that you should mention Jack in the Box, they left the State of Michigan years ago because they refused to conform to Michigan's very strick meat laws. I think it was California and also Washington State where people died eating Jack in the Box hamburgers. Good luck if you eat their food.

This is my post above, I did not say hundreds of people died...wasn't aware that there was one, just one Jack in the Box in Michigan, they must be conforming to our meat laws, there used to be Jack in the Box all over the Detroit area..

Edit: There is on Jack in the Box in Michigan, Jack-In-The-Box, 6032 Fish Lake, North Branch, MI 48461 is really called Jack in the Box Inflatables.
edit on 11-10-2010 by Aquarius1 because: Edit to add a line.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
My kids (10 & 16) think McDonald's is gross and unhealthy. Yes, when they were little they had their share of Happy Meals and I considered it a "treat" for them. Funny how now they dislike it. I'm sure that has to do with them hearing/watching news reports regarding health/nutrition and perhaps school has had some influence. They dislike school hot lunches as well. I make them cold lunches now which they really do prefer. Maybe they just prefer mom's cooking.
I don't think McDonald's should be banned from selling their Happy Meals because they are marketed specifically towards children. Should grocery stores be banned from having the candy aisle in the check out lines? I can't say how many fights/tears that has caused me with my kids throughout the years. Talk about irritating but ultimately I'm the parent and in charge of my kids.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join