It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music: Subjective or Objective?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
You like what you like and, often times, it's the subtle imperfections that make a song sound good.

For example, you can write a song (with the aid of a computer) where every note of every track in the song is exactly on beat and in perfect pitch. You can do that, but generally you don't want to: it sounds weird and unnatural. The ear prefers slight rhythmic irregularities and subtly detuned pitches (e.g. it's not an easy task to get a guitar perfectly tuned, all of the strings are almost always +/- a few cents from perfect).

But again, it doesn't really matter because you like what you like. Playing a song that you don't like "perfectly" is probably going to make you like it less, because it's going to sound weird.

Music is no different from any other form of art: what's "good" depends on one's perception.

-TheAssoc.
edit on 11-10-2010 by TheAssociate because: Grammar, readability.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
You like what you like and, often times, it's the subtle imperfections that make a song sound good.

For example, you can write a song (with the aid of a computer) where every note of every track in the song is exactly on beat and in perfect pitch. You can do that, but generally you don't want to: it sounds weird and unnatural. The ear prefers slight rhythmic irregularities and subtly detuned pitches (e.g. it's not an easy task to get a guitar perfectly tuned, all of the strings are almost always +/- a few cents from perfect).

But again, it doesn't really matter because you like what you like. Playing a song that you don't like "perfectly" is probably going to make you like it less, because it's going to sound weird.

Music is no different from any other form of art: what's "good" depends on one's perception.

-TheAssoc.
edit on 11-10-2010 by TheAssociate because: Grammar, readability.

I agree. I just think that it is really subjective who is a genius, I mean unless they actually took an IQ test in musical theory then that would be objective...it would be measured on a scale, but I highly think that does not make it any better or whatever than anybody else's!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket
reply to post by ldyserenity

Is music objective, or is it subjective?

Would you clarify the question? What are you asking?

If you're asking whether questions like "is rap music" are valid, I would say yes. "Music" is a word. It has a meaning. You can look up that meaning, and you will see that most rap is not music because it does not possess melody. That some people like it doesn't make it music. You can enjoy the sound of a waterfall, and that doesn't make it music either. Music posesses both melody and harmony. Rap (generally) posseses rythem but no melody. It is therefore not music. Similarly, a solo drummer producing a beat is not making music. He is making a beat. It is a component of music, not music.

But if you're asking whether the enjoyment of music is objective or subjective, that's a more complicated question. One must include the listener as part of the equation. The union of a particular music and a particular person listening to that music may possess harmony or discordance, just like a pairing of individual notes.

have the greatest player of all time of classical music

play it for someone who really doesn't like Classical Music, they will not like it, they will not really care about the logistics of it, it will bore them.

Whether someone likes or dislikes a particular piece doesn't make it music or not music. Again, music is a specific thing. Not liking apples doesn't make them not fruit. Liking rocks doesn't make them fruit. Music is music.

But in terms of liking something, music or otherwise, the observer is part of the equation. A particular person might or might not resonate with a particular piece just like a particular note might or might not produce harmony when paired with another note.

edit on 10-10-2010 by LordBucket because: (no reason given)

What the heck? Rap isn't music??? I have a feeling you have heard only like 2 rap songs in your entire life and didn't pay much attention. A good rap song has a catchy melody and bass behind it. You should listen to some Outkast, they are a perfect example. In fact, these days in Rap music there is actually very little to do with punchlines or mastery of rhymes in. It IS mostly about catchy hooks/choruses and tunes/melodies.
Sorry if i sounded angry...

<< 1   >>

join