It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How should i go about getting prepped for when the SHTF?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
If money is an issue, which you stated, then ask to get one item a week or every pay period of your list.
A lot of the gear in my BOB is stuff laying around that most people have in their homes already like, first aid kits,
batteries, lighters, candles, tools etc. Everything does not need to be brand new, check yard sales in your town.Try to put yourself in that place of survival in your mind when browsing items in store, and ask yourself, how can this item help me if i was in such a position to survive. Good luck!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8fl0z
First off, id like to put it out clearly, im just 15. Not much i can do without my mom or dad. I spend a lot of time on conspiracy sites such as ATS, and while there is, and i know many of you readers can agree, a bunch of BS on these sites, there lies some truth. I classify myself as an observer and a thinker. As i observe the world today, the future for man kind is bleak. Sh-t will start flying, sooner, if not later. When it does, the world as we know it will change forever. May be for the best, or for the worst, but im planning for the worst. I have already began preparing myself mentally to forget this way of life, and began to brace myself for an apocalyptic event. Mentally, im ready to lose loved ones, to begin anew with no emotion towards the past.The main problem im faced with is how ill survive afterwards.

Normally i get caught in pretty hairy situations, and i manage to save myself before things go bad. I do this not with pure luck, but by using my head. I think if some deep sh-t went down, id be able to survive, but i cant survive with sticks and stones.

I would like to know how to approach my mom about getting a preparedness kit for when SHTF, and i already have things planned out in my mind for multiple scenarios, such as the Oct 13th prophecy rolling around here soon.

So how do i approach her without sounding like a guy with tinfoil on his head? What kind of evidence should i show her to back up my claims of the world going to sh-t soon? What kind of supplies should we stockpile other than dried foods and water? What kind of weapons should we invest in for defense or hunting?

First off, you have to consider that your parents may think you're nuts. It happens, but don't let that dissuade you to prepare for when times get tough. After all; if you're right, they'll be thanking you and kissing your ass. Here's a basic list of what you need for starters:

*90 days worth of food, per person in your household. That's the average amount of time to get through a lock-in crisis (IE> Plague). Some of this food should be light weight, bag and go food. MRE's a good. CRACKERS AND PEANUT BUTTER are the best survival foods on the planet. High on carbs, high on protein.

*Some sort of protection: You're 15 so firearms are gonna be a problem (More than likely), so you'll want something sharp or blunt. Since you aren't old enough to buy a gun on your own, you're going to have to get medieval on someone, if they corner you. Sports padding can protect you against an attack. I would also recommend you buy some kevlar gloves (cut and fire resistant). They retail on Amazon for about 28 bucks.

*This is a bit pricy, but you may be able to sway your mother to purchase one for each member of the household. A GAS MASK! She may wonder why you would want a gas mask, just use this argument (and its a valid one. I have a friend who's a Fireman, and these are his words). "Countless lives could have been saved during a home fire, if only there was a gas mask in the home." Should your SHTF situation be plague, chemical warfare, or an ash cloud from a Super Volcano, gas masks save lives. Be sure to get one that's chemical, biological, and nuclear tested.

*Water Water Water: Every time your mom empties a milk carton, swoop it up and fill it with water. Designate a shelf in the basement, shed, garage, or where ever to keep your water (and food). Should the power go out, run upstairs and fill up your bathtub with water, not for bathing, but this may be your secondary water source if the water follows the power and gets cut off.

*You may need your parent to pick this up for you, but you really need a Flint Strike. When matches and lighters are all gone, these babies keep on making fire.

*Depending on the level of the disaster at hand, you may want to start stocking up on seeds. (they're cheap, and easy to store. If the grocery stores are looted of food, you may need more than your 90 day supply. Keep a stock of crop seedlings. You'll know within the first 30 days if you need to start planting seeds, and it generally takes around 60 days for crops to ripen, so...

*Blankets and Jackets. If the SHTF there will likely be no power when winter rolls around. Anyone with a fireplace will tell you that they keep rooms warm, not houses. You'll need these to survive the colder times of the year.

*First Aid Kits: You should have at least one for every member of the house. Stock up on other hygiene product too, such as toothpaste, bar soap, and alcohol. Baking Soda is another good multi-purpose product.

*Lastly... SCAVENGE EVERYTHING: After the SHTF you're going to be faced with many opportunities to loot or scavenge. Take this opportunity and gather everything you can. Even if you don't have a use for it, someone else may, and trading will be the new currency (at least for a while).

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

To prepare for an emergency you have to learn how to sit down and have a think. By that I mean, taking a few moments, a few minutes, and give some thought to what, where, and how, you are going to deal with the issues at hand.

It does no good to have all the equipment, all the survival bells and whistles, if you can't figure out how to use 'em properly.

During an emergency, if the situation allows, take that moment/minute/as much as you can, and THINK!! It could be the difference between surviving, and dying.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I forgot to mention: You need a G.O.O.D. Bag (Get Out Of Dodge). Keep it next to the front door, or your bedroom door, and have it stocked with 3-5 bottles of water, some MRE's (you can get these @ Walmart), a knife, and a toothbrush and some toothpaste. (Dental care will be the most important thing on your daily list of stuff to do. You don't want to have to have a tooth pulled without Novocain).
This is YOUR bag. Everyone else must be responsible for their own survival G.O.O.D. Bag.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

I can agree with most of those items, though most households will have a majority of these things already. I would a gas mask (per person of the household) to the list.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

Well, those are hurdles but not insurmountable. The threat is real, but don't obsess over it to the point that it bums you out. I have an urgent type of appeal because I see people, that know better, have the resources and they do nothing. Here you are 15years old and apparently have a better understanding of the necessity for preparation than most others. If your mom is out of work it might be difficult to persuade her to part with money that she might deem more importantly spent on other things, that she sees as more important. I would not be a responsible adult if I told you to do something behind her back. I think that as things stand you might be able to persuade her to buy some extra groceries every week. A can or two here, a can or two there and it adds up. I think at the point that you are at right now the best thing you could do is make a list of what you need for a bug out bag for each of you and work towards getting those done and they don't have to be expensive. And then incrementally increase your food supply. I make the point that a survivalist should have a location, food storage, equipment, a plan and a brain. Do some research to find a bug out place if you have no rural relatives and that will give you a location. Food storage and the BOBs will take care of the other two. You have the brain and will have to come up with a plan for you and mom. At some point you will have to somehow confide in your mom about your plans. Don't be disappointed if mom doesn't understand right away. I think she probably has other things on her mind. She is a single mother trying to take care of her responsibilities and probably has a lot of pressure on her. If the town that you live in isn't too large or too close to a large metro area, staying put might be an option but it is something to be evaluated carefully. I will monitor this occasionally and respond if you have other questions. Best Regards

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

I suppose we're talking about some horrific civil war scenario. If survival is the desired objective, ignore the other posters, and refrain from getting a gun. In the case of a civil war, that will only tell us that you're a combatant. We won't like having to shoot a kid because he's walking around with a gun, thinking he's Billy Badass, nor would we like having to inform the next of kin. This isn't Red Dawn, we're professionally trained killers, you aren't. War is a crappy business, so forget the gun, and stay out of the fight.

Camelbaks are great for holding water, I suggest Camelbak, because they leave the hands free for other things, and, depending on the model you get, it's a useful backpack as well. Get the ones made for military/government use, they're made of a strong cordura canvas, come in subdued colors, and are covered with MOLLE webbing to attach pouches for other necessities, should the bag itself not be enough. If price is an issue, there are less expensive "hydration ready" bags out there, but you want a quality bladder, Blackhawk makes good hydration bladders too. Also invest in a good water filter, or bring a plastic or metal tube. You can fill it with sand, and cap it off with a couple of layers of t-shirt cotton to filter out the sediment and nasty stuff. Bring it to a boil to kill the bacteria.

Nonperishable foods are important. Bad meat will get you sick, and kill you in the wild, vegetables rot and become useless, and the smell of cooking food will lead unwanted guests straight to you. Canned food is heavy, but there are outdoors shops that have the lighter 'bagged' foods, which are similar to MREs. They probably taste just as terrible. Snacks are good, like trail mix, chips, and the like. Stay away from sugary stuff and energy drinks. Sure, it gives you a slight energy boost, but the comedown headache sucks, and interferes with your concentration.

Tool-wise, that's up to your environment. The most important tools are a compass and a watch. Don't get a cheap POS compass, either. A lot of surplus stores sell a military lensatic compass, and it's one of the best compasses I've ever used. It's accurate, it's tough, and it's only about 50 bucks, as compared to other professional compasses that will run you way more than that. The watch is whatever, I like Timex, but most anything will do. The time doesn't have to be exact to the millisecond if you're using it for navigation, just be aware of timezone changes.

Bring a poncho, something that can take a beating. Again, military surplus is your best bet. Not only will an Army poncho keep you dry in the rain, they have grommets that you can use as tie down points to create a quick shelter if you need to. Also bring a warm, windproof coat, even if its not cold. Rain, and heavy winds can greatly decrease your core body temperature, and make you miserable. Misery kills in the open, especially domesticated animals like ourselves.

On the topic of fire, a lot of people preach the waxed survival matches, and magnesium strikers are great, but the matches limit your fire making abilities to the number of matches you have (and still blow out too easily to be useful) and the striker only works if you know how to use it. Just put a bunch of cheap Bic lighters in a ziploc bag, and have one handy in your pocket at all times.

Of course, this is all relating to the outdoors. Still, get this stuff. Even though I highly doubt the whole SHTF business, it's very good to have in the case of a natural disaster, and have to drive away from your home. If you stay home bound, stock up on water and nonperishables. If you have pets, they need to eat to, and they're pretty useful for detecting incoming storms, and generally bad things, so don't forget about them. Have batteries, flashlights, activities to keep your mind off the misery, candles, lots of candles, and stay positive. If you believe in a god, use that to draw motivation. Every little bit helps.

Above all, eat right, exercise, stay away from cigarettes and alcohol (wish I had, when I was your age), and fill your head with practical knowledge. Go camping, gain experience outdoors, use tools, learn how to make tools, and all that. Knowledge, and physical endurance are the most important things that you will ever take with you, anywhere in life.
edit on 12-10-2010 by Lokiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

Hi, 8,

Here is what you should do - which everyone has done forever - live your life and enjoy it!

No-one has ever known when the world is going to end, and no-one does now.

Just enjoy your time here on this earth and try and fulfill your destiny!

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Lokiate

The Kid is 15 so I doubt he's going to be packing much heat, but to say that there should be no firearms in the home is a bit ridiculous. His mother should have some sort of pistol (small to medium sidearm) if only for the chance that its used for home invasion scenarios. You're talking about combatants and civil wars. All wars have their share of marauders. Its unwise to keep a fire-free home [Though I do recommend a lock box for the weapon].
As the Middle East Wars have shown, the seemingly "non-combatant" packing a hidden weapon is generally a more effective killer than those wearing battlefield colors.
As our past has shown us, during times of Civil Unrest and through our Revolution there is no such thing as a Non-combatant. When the fight shows up on your doorstep, you're in the war, like it or not.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

Being a Soldier, I know that an unarmed person carrying nothing but provisions is far less likely to be detained, shot, or even given a second thought than a guy with a firearm. That's a red flag, especially in the US, where walking around with a rifle, even a pistol in some states, is unheard of, and/or illegal. If we're talking about staying in the house, yeah, have a good shotgun at the ready, but sometimes shacking up in the home isn't an option.

If we're talking about some major climactic disaster, then yeah, have a gun. It's going to be an all out panic, where previously intelligent, and sound people fly into a dangerous frenzy fueled by primal survival instinct. Bad stuff happens during those times.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Lokiate

"Bad Stuff" will be unavoidable, and realistically; provisions will disappear in less than 3 months after any global scale disaster, whether it be War, Plague, Super Volcano, Ice Age, EMP, or whatever, and when that happens violence and looting will become the norm. The average urbanite will find it easier to kill his/her fellow man instead of hunting or fishing. Studies have shown that feral children are the most dangerous during those times, and in many cases these children cannot be brought back from the brink. If you want to look after your family, you'd better be packing. There are ways of maneuvering through a military occupied territory, while still carrying a weapon, but my advise would be to stay as far away from heavily populated, or military controlled areas. Trust me, if the SHTF, you don't want to be anywhere near one of these Government run Survivors' Camps.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

The truth of it is; there is no one way to prepare for the end. Those who survive will credit their survival to one thing: Ingenuity. There are as many ways to prepare for the S**t hitting the fan as there are ways that the S**t can hit the fan. Be it Civil War, Invasion from some powerful nation, Terrorism, Plague, EMP, Ice Age, Super Volcano, Alien Invasion, and the list goes on, there is no one way to make it through either of these.
Your ability to invent, create, and improvise will be key in making it through the first 90 days of a disaster. Those days are the most crucial. 70-90% of the population will likely die during some global catastrophe in the first 90 days. The number one causes of death will be famine and/or disease [hence the gas masks I mentioned in my earlier comments].
Learn how to make your own filter-ready charcoal for purifying water. People will tell you to buy tablets and purifiers, but the truth is, these filters don't last very long. You need to be thinking years into survival, not weeks or months. Anyone can survive a few weeks indoors. Only a handful will make it a decade. On a final note and I think I've mentioned this before, but its worth mentioning again: Take Care Of Your Teeth.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
A lot of states have youth mentored hunt programs that could help get you in contact with someone that is willing to teach you how to hunt and bring you out into a hunt situation. Talk with your state fish and wildlife department and see what they can do for you. A lot of hunters absolutely love getting youth into the sport and will go out of their way to teach you and they would be a valuable source of other information. Most hunters are survivalists as well.

You mentioned money being an issue. Unfortunately, unless you are a thief, everything in our current society takes cash. But, if you can learn to look for deals and negotiate prices, you can get a lot for a little. It just takes patience.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Good advice.

Maybe get some books on:

Hunting/preparing game
Edible Plants
General Survival

Learn how to:

Shoot a firearm
Read a map (I mean really read a map, and get where you want to go)
Use a compass

There are a lot of things you can do that don't require much in the way of resources.

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Ease up on the kid.
@ 15 the King of the Franks was on his way to conquering Europe.

My advice----keep it simple.
It takes brains, not money.
The library is your friend, and free. Read all you can about survival and woods-craft. Edible foods are everywhere, and you may be surprised at what you can eat when REALLY hungry.
Cities are not the place to be when all hell breaks out---no power, no water, no gas, and full of hungry, armed people.

Plan for the worst case and hope for the best.
Worst would be something that cuts power for (at least) weeks in winter. People get desperate in a hurry.

Scout out somewhere within 100 miles that is at least 25 miles (minimum) from any concentrated habitation.It needs wood (shelter-fuel) running water, and game.
Convince mom to keep a full tank of fuel. It's not hard to rationalize this, prices are going up every week, and if you keep it full, it is much cheaper in the long run.

Weapons are only as good as the person holding them, and more than trouble if you can't own one legally.
If mom can't shoot someone in the head on a moments notice, forget it. Guns don't threaten desperate people, they are most likely dying already or will die if they don't get your stuff.
Get a part time job.
The local dollar store can provide everything you need to survive.
You can pack enough to get started (if you are any good) in a large backpack---for 2 in a duffel bag.
all purpose tool (leatherman knockoff).
hand full of disposable lighters and a big box of sulfur matches.
WARM and WATERPROOF clothes.
tarp
large roll of 25# fishing line with some hooks (for fishing) and 1$ carabiners (for construction of shelter, snare traps)
rope
case or 3 of ramen noodles (can add anything to them)
at least 1 2 qt pan and a frying pan.
at least 1 large bottle of multi-vitamins. (greens are hard to find in the winter)
couple boxes of 33 gal garbage bags.
hatchet
hand saw
portable hand crank radio
folding shovel
Medical supplies.
Gauze, bandages, hydrogen peroxide, aspirin, emetic. (in case you eat something not good)

For "comfort"
2 5 gallon plastic buckets.
1 for hauling water.
1 for putting a plastic bag in behind a tree. (figure it out)
TP.

All these can be had at a good dollar store.

Notice this is for "surviving", and quite a lot depends on the knowledge you can gain beforehand.
You may be able to survive on ramen noodles and vitamins alone for 6 months---but not on 3 cases of noodles, and you won't be very healthy.
But perhaps, healthier than those who stayed in the city.

It can be done.
@ 13 I lived the summer in the woods, living in a tent, hauling water, and sh***ing in a bucket.
@15 and 16 I lived in a treehouse in northern Idaho (2 winters worth), and though neither times were necessities, neither had any power except batteries and if it came down to it, I could have made it easily if I had to hunt my food.

Have confidence---you never really know what you are capable of until you have to be capable of it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join