It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How should i go about getting prepped for when the SHTF?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
First off, id like to put it out clearly, im just 15. Not much i can do without my mom or dad. I spend a lot of time on conspiracy sites such as ATS, and while there is, and i know many of you readers can agree, a bunch of BS on these sites, there lies some truth. I classify myself as an observer and a thinker. As i observe the world today, the future for man kind is bleak. Sh-t will start flying, sooner, if not later. When it does, the world as we know it will change forever. May be for the best, or for the worst, but im planning for the worst. I have already began preparing myself mentally to forget this way of life, and began to brace myself for an apocalyptic event. Mentally, im ready to lose loved ones, to begin anew with no emotion towards the past.The main problem im faced with is how ill survive afterwards.

Normally i get caught in pretty hairy situations, and i manage to save myself before things go bad. I do this not with pure luck, but by using my head. I think if some deep sh-t went down, id be able to survive, but i cant survive with sticks and stones.

I would like to know how to approach my mom about getting a preparedness kit for when SHTF, and i already have things planned out in my mind for multiple scenarios, such as the Oct 13th prophecy rolling around here soon.

So how do i approach her without sounding like a guy with tinfoil on his head? What kind of evidence should i show her to back up my claims of the world going to sh-t soon? What kind of supplies should we stockpile other than dried foods and water? What kind of weapons should we invest in for defense or hunting?

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Well for starters you should probably start eating healthier and drink lots of water if you aren't already. Secondly I would focus on being physically fit, but as you are only 15 go easy on it if you do decide to take my advice?

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Step 1: Buy SAS Survival Guide and double ziplock it. (place in your bug out bag)

Step 2: Commence research on SHTF. You knwo how to do this, apply your info gathering skills of the internet.

I highly recommend either a 5.56(.223) or 7.62 rifle and 1,000 rounds of ammunition.
Second get a 9mm handgun and again, 1,000 rounds of ammo.

With a rifle, a sharp knife, fire and a few other tools you can provide for yourself no matter what happens.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

Besides reading the archives here in this forum and the many links to dedicated survival sites, checkout youtube channel for Nutnfancy for lots of gear reviews, techniques, and the cheapest online gear sites he suggests. All for free.
For your first weapon, I suggest a used 22cal rifle, then followed by a used shotgun.
Tell your parents your expanding the emergency kit.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheTruth

I'm sure this has been heavily debated here, but I think the better caliber would be the 7.62x51. It has an all around capability superior to the .223. The only offset that I could see is the added weight whch would suck, but i'd rather have something I could rely on than have something that doesn't cut when your life is on the line.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by America?

Guns are as good as long as you have ammo,.
But you cant eat bullets
and a gun wont keep you warm.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

True, but a gun is just as much a tool as it is a weapon if you us it right.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

So how do i approach her without sounding like a guy with tinfoil on his head? What kind of evidence should i show her to back up my claims of the world going to sh-t soon?

Just ask her if there is an emergency kit in the house.

Evidence is not necessary. Natural disasters are very common.

Tell her you really feel that you should prepare for any kind of emergency, and if you don't have a kit, start putting one together as a family project maybe.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by sodakota

Yeah , My wife was real into the Idea,
Once I explained a few details about the statistical sequences in the event of,.
She was all on board,.
no worries here

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

Since others have not read your OP completely let me say this: HE IS 15!
You can approach your mother by using statistics for one. Most areas of the world are having increased crime throughout. Just simply point out to her that it might be prudent to have some extra goods on hand in case someone decides to go the way of the 9/11 terrorists in your area. Or even better yet you could incorporate multiple points such as the unpredictable weather patterns as of late. Also be sure that when you do approach her you have set goals and specifics in mind. Don't go asking and when she finally says ok what would you suggest give her a blank stare and say something like "stuff". Be ready for questions and have answers ready.

Go over simple items that are easy to have on hand for an "emergency". If you try to paint it as a SHTF scenario it probably wont fly. Start with basics that you can find on here like items for a BOB, but call it an emergency evacuation kit or whatever. Also with good items to have stocked there are lists here on ATS all over. I will leave you with this BOB kit contents list compliments of an old ATS survivalist known as Northern Raider.

Basic essential tools for BOB’s

This list does not include weaponry, clothing, food, footwear, tentage, etc
It is ONLY the basic ESSENTIAL tools required to start building a Bug Out Bag with.
1. Fixed Blade Knife
2. Folding Blade Knife
3. Knife Sharpener and silicone oil
4. Folding Woodsaw
5. Secatuers or Pruning Shears
6. Compass in mils and degrees
7. Maps with bug out routes marked out
8. Binoculars (possibly a camera as well)
9. AM/FM/ Radio (spare batteries if required)
10. LED Flashlights (spare batteries if required)
11. Analogue Watch (solar or self winder)
12. Eye protection ( Shades, Prescription glasses etc)
13. Multi Tool
14. K.F.S or Spork
15. Tin opener / Bottle opener
16. Water Bottle and Mug
17. Water Filter and Water Purification tablets
18. First Aid Kit plus Prescription Medicines
19. Survival Guide, Notebook and Pen and Sharpie type marker
20. Mini Cooker and Spare Fuel
21. Cook pots, Mess Tins and washing up kit
22. Climbing Rope, Paracord, Cable Ties and Duct Tape
23. Storm Proof Lighter , Spare Fuel, Matches, Flint & Steel
24. Chemical Light Sticks/Candles( in a mini lantern to keep them safely in)
25. Personal hygiene kit ( soap, deodorant, toothbrush, razor, towel etc
26. 2 way radios plus spare batteries / Solar power recharger
27. Sleeping Bag and Liner / campamat/ groundsheet.
28. Disposable Dust masks/ Bandana
29. Rubbish Bags and Cleaning Cloths
30. Babywipes ( better than toilet paper and more useful)

Other items to be considered are firearms (law permitting) batons, sprays, work gloves, goggles, Personal clothing including waterproofs and changes of Socks/ Underwear, Hats, loves, Feminine Hygiene Materials, Tents, Food Rations, Radiation and Nox detectors, boots/ shoes, Extra rope/food/fuel/water/medical kit/tarpaulins/tools/ammo etc to be shared among group or family.

Don’t forget to take your essential family documents such as deeds, passports, bonds, CCWs, insurance docs etc.

Where possible please try to get radios, flashlights etc that use a standard size commonly available battery like AA or CR123A.
Please feel free to adapt , add to or amend this brief list to meet your own needs.

edit on 10/10/2010 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
8floz
Without knowing your complete situation, it is hard to answer your question(s) definitively. Do you live in a semi-rural to rural area, or do you live in a city? You mentioned "mom and dad" and only referred to "mom" later on, so is there a social dynamic in play that makes things difficult with dad? Do you and your dad go hunting? Does your family already own firearms? If not, it would be very hard as a teenager to persuade non-gun owners to purchase firearms. Typically men are more likely to "embrace" the survivalist mentality, though when a woman gets on board, they are usually really on board and enthusiastic...that's what makes them women...commitment; remember that as long as you live; women=commitment. That's a handy piece of info for any situation involving women. If you have open minded parents you could try using FEMA and any local emergency management documentation to present an argument to them for preparedness in the spirit of "good citizenship". The FEMA guidelines are not too far off the mainstream of society and any local situations should be covered by the local EM recommendations. You could say it is for a school project or that the school is recommending that all families "be prepared" for emergencies. Now, this would get you up to a point as far as basic supplies. You could try joining the scouts and this could be part of your "scouting experience". At your age a .22 wouldn't draw as much attention as an AR-15 type rifle depending on the situation. I live in a rural area and am a gun guy by profession and I wouldn't have gotten either of my sons an AR style weapon at that age. Your best bet would be a Ruger 10-22 with 5-10, 10 round mags and a few bricks of ammo. By federal law and by most state laws you can't "own" or purchase a handgun and in most states you can't have un-supervised use of a handgun, so just blow that off, unless you think you can persuade mom or dad to get one for "them". If you have learned to "use your head" for tough spots at age 15, you are well ahead of most adults in the U.S. Hay preguntas? Just ask. 2cents

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
There is much about you we don't know...as noted by others.

However, we know from history that 15 year olds are quite capable...

I would simply ask your parents if you can start to learn the craft and sport of hunting. I presume you don't live in a rural area... mainly because most young men by 15 have started hunting if they are interested.

Also, share your feelings about the possibility of economic hardships ahead, and that your family needs to be ready. Trust me, by planting this seed...they will begin to see the signs... they may not admit it, but they will begin to see them... they may already and just be putting up the strong front to keep from scaring you.

Also, there are many items a young man of 15 can start to store away. However, you will probably need money... which means you will have to start a part-time job... or start cutting and raking yards... or whatever is available in your area.

Again, I don't know where you live...state or region... oddly enough, culture and region still play a major part in how people live and values. Good luck.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

As your 15, to convince parents, you will need to do this as all teenages have done and will do (I did it with my parents and my kids tried it on me), via 'the back door'.

1. If you have a backyard or a patch of dirt: 'mom, dad, I want to eat healthy food and try growing my own'
start learning to grow tomatoes/sweet potatoes etc.
look around for 'heritage seeds'. these are the old varities before Monsanto was around.
learn how to grow these and leave some to 'go to seed' so you have seed for the next season.
Monsanto seeds (and possibly others) are re-designed so they do not produce seed - so you have to buy more off THEM.

Join and 'Orienteering' group for fitness and map reading skills: 'mom, dad, theres this cool activity i want to do to get fit'.
This will get you running around in the bush with a map and compass in your hand, navagating to various points. Nothing better than map-to-ground skills. If the sun zaps every electrical device your GPS is no good.

Camping/Fishing: "mom, dad, can we go on a camping holiday"
Even if this is to a standard camping ground and your parents stay in a pre-fab 'cabin' you can always get a cheap little tent to get the experience. Hiking around the area you can also be looking for that 'good spot' - just dont go 'Look everybody, theres a small cave up there!'.
Later on, you may be able to get out into much better places to test yourself more.
Get the SAS guide as mentioned above and also and field guide books on 'Native Edible Plants'. Edible plants will be specific to different areas, so look at a map of where you are (pre-SHTF and where you want to bug out to).
look toward a camping trip to somewhere where the family can get access to a Native American Camping place - One that has educational Hikes and teaches about how the Indians gathered there food (in Australia many aboriginal place have this where you can learn about their ways of land care and food gathering).

Hunting/Protection: Guns are fine, but if anything happens to the ammo.... "mom, dad, can i do archery?". Bow Hunting is great fun, and gives you the bowmanship to get some food or protect yourself (silently), plus it teaches you 'Game Stalking' which is more value if you can get to 50feet of your target without a deer knowing you are even there. Slingshots are good too combined with some stalking skills to get small game, and if some can smash a coconut.....

Where to go: check your maps for the largest areas of Bush/Forest that you could disappear into. Ideally, get some camping, hiking time in these places.

Getting there: Before STF you need 1-2 routes to your destination. If in the city you have to work out the best route that avoids main roads (they will be blocked), and a car wont do much good (use feet/mountain bike). Cities will be crawling with ferals and soildiers so you will need to move at night and have 'safe points' along the way. Even a cheap blowup boat will be handy if there are river thru the city.

So.... hopefully with a little bit of the above, you'll have your mom and dad learning all they need without actually telling them and they will be impressed with all your 'Character Building Skills'

edit on 10-10-2010 by CitizenNum287119327 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TripodXL

Ok well, here is my current situation:

I live in an urban/suburban area, approx. 7 miles away from the downtown area of my city.
I live in the midwestern US.
My mom is single at the moment, divorced my biological father, and technically still married to my former stepdad, now just a family friend.

Is this enough?

I just need to be able to convince my mom to spend the money, because shes currently unemployed due to a prick of a doctor at her place of work.

I dont want her to spend hundreds of dollars, but i dont want us to go unprepared in a SHTF scenario...

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8fl0z
but i cant survive with sticks and stones.

Yes you can.
Thousands of generations of our so-called inferior predecessors managed to survive with only that, sticks and stones. It's simple physics, friction fire-making, pressure flaking rock to make tools. Common sense will get you through.
Being prepared wouldn't hurt, nor would owning a few guns.
In the end, we all need to be able to just walk off in to the woods and live using sticks and stones.
It's everyone's heritage and possibly our common future.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

That was a really thorough reply, well said.

Things that save money are the ones your mother will definitely be interested in doing. Buy beans, rice, flour in bulk - it's still relatively cheap;
Your family should have:

A decent water filtration system.
A firearm of some sort
Reserve stocks of food and medications.

Start putting together a bug out bag, there's several threads here on ATS about it. Just do a search.
As citizen said, a mountain bike is a great way to travel if the SHTF and have a tire patch or 3.
I can second the SAS survival manual, it's first class.
I also recommend Tom Brown Jrs. Field Guide to Wilderness Survival.
Petersons field guide to wild edible plants.

Learning to do survival skills will boost your confidence and open you up to all the resources that are available if you know what to look for. Go camping and see what you can improvise for food , shelter, utensils, tools, etc.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Also, when learning about native foods.
Check out the library about 'Native Honey Bees' and where they like to keep there honey.
It won't be too far from a water source.

Some honey has Anti-Bacterial properties which will help fight wound infection (some hospitals use it).

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

Glad to see some of the younger membership getting involved with survivalism. But since you mentioned it, you do depend on your parents for most things, and as such, any preparations you make for SHTF scenario should include your parents. You and your parents should have escape routes planned, meeting places, contact numbers and numerous ways to get a hold of each other.

But you should also plan on what you would have to do if you had to ride out a crisis on your own.

Basic items are things like first aid kits w/ manuals, pocket knives, firestarters, water purification pills, a back pack, a canteen and a steel cup so you can boil water and something to filter out particulates, like a silk cloth. Keep an extra warm sweater in your pack just in case. Make sure you have a flashlight and an emergency crank radio to keep informed.

Your family should stick like glue to whatever plan you come up with. Just keep things realistic, simple, reasonable and to the point and your plan should keep you alive.

Take full advantage of the Survivalists here on ATS. Our Survival Forum Subject Matter Expert(FSME) is Semperfortis Only serious questions should be directed at him. He is an expert in survival in extreme situations.

Many of us here are also quite experienced with survival techniques and situations. Always ask questions, and reject anything that is impractical.

That's all I got.
edit on 11-10-2010 by projectvxn because: Spelling errors

edit on 11-10-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
As sodakota said, approach it as disaster preparedness instead. Point out the hazards of your area. Is it hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, tornadoes, etc.? You can even offer to take a major role in this, and build them up slowly to coming around to the idea.

In this way, even if your concern was a Zombie uprising, your parents would be none the wiser, and you'd still be on the road to being prepared. Make it as much about their safety as yours, and you'll get the buy in....

edit on 11-10-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join