It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As an American, I am disgusted by the ubuiquity of American jingoism in our society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I loathe terms like "God-fearing" or "Hard-working" or "Generous" American. Not because they're not true necessarily, but because such terms imply that people who are from other countries are somehow more lacking of these features, which is essentially bigotry.

Even the alternative media, such as Coast to Coast AM, and even some of the mods here, are still stuck in this concept that America is superior to all other countries.

Frankly, I'm sick of it. I like America, but why do we have to be #1 so bad?

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 19872012

Wanting and striving to be #1 is a noble and worthwhile concept. But the reality is that America isn't number one, these days, in much of anything.

Not in standard of living.
Not in GDP.
Not in wages.
Not in education.
Not in innovation.
Not in freedom.
Not in much of anything...

But we do have a huge army, lots of weapons, the best air force on the planet, and bombs... LOTS of bombs. So, in that regard...

We can be #15 in reality, but claim ourselves to be #1. And most countries will just nod, agree, avoid our bombs, and continue to surpass us in most quality of life and industrial areas.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Cause we are.
Check out the migration record for the modern world.
And from this why you can see we think the Brits are pretty cool.
They seem to get it too. You know we couldn't do this all alone. No way.

David Grouchy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c95238425e01.png[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I agree.. it gets tiring to constantly hear americans on their sitcoms proclaim the U.S. to be the only free country or whatever when you know you're living in a country that surpasses the U.S. in more than one aspect of society.
It's obnoxious, like a barrage of indirect insults every time you turn on the TV.

But I'm not mad, at least I try not to be even if I get irritated from time to time. If my country was on top we would probably be just as bad.
edit on 10-10-2010 by TheLaughingGod because: Grammar - changed everytime to every time.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
The World Series isn't really the World either.

new topics

top topics

join