It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rods caught on camera, opinion please

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I think ckitch is just surprised at the fact that something which at first glance looks so mysterious could actually be something so ordinary...like a bird or insect.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by vagabondrobb
I think ckitch is just surprised at the fact that something which at first glance looks so mysterious could actually be something so ordinary...like a bird or insect.

You're probably right- I just wish people would explain what it is that intrigues them, rather than leave it hangin'..

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

Well, as I said in my post.... it 'seemed' to be behind the tree. So before you continue to go for jugular, you will note it was only my thoughts on the situation. Not a definite confirmation. As to what it was, and your opinion based purely on the photo I posted, you have no more idea than me, although in fact slightly less, as I have the original shot and can zoom it. On doing so, the two sides, are completely parallel and straight in appearance, so an insect or bird is highly unlikely.

As I said, we had no idea what it was, and a 'UFO' was the only accurate option. However, when I saw this particular forum and how the pictures posted resembled mine, I thought of Rods as another possibility.

I saw rods filmed by cave jumpers on the TV years ago - and that footage looks pretty good to me.
The moth example shown in the film above isn't quite the same, neither is the gull, so I still wish to keep an open mind about the existence of Rods as being something we cannot as yet fully explain!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by vagabondrobb

It's no bird or insect... I've seen the picture zoomed in. Hence I have no logical explanation. It is only because of the 'Rod' pictures on this forum that I started to see a similarity in shape.

As I mentioned, the sides are straight and parallel, and there is a blur affect outside of the lines. The appears to be a definite darker underside to the upper, which suggests possible light/shadow effect. Hence the possibility of a UFO (in the true sense of the words), being its likely identification. That was until I saw the pictures on here......

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ckitch
Well, as I said in my post.... it 'seemed' to be behind the tree.

Like I said, based on what? You seem to be a little short on specifics..

So before you continue to go for jugular

If you think that was me going for the jugular, you need to get out more.

you will note it was only my thoughts on the situation.

As were mine...

As to what it was, and your opinion based purely on the photo I posted, you have no more idea than me, although in fact slightly less, as I have the original shot and can zoom it.

So post the original somewhere, including exif.

On doing so, the two sides, are completely parallel and straight in appearance, so an insect or bird is highly unlikely.

I'm sorry, but ..what was that?
Unless the insect 'morphs' and becomes larger or smaller, of course the sides will be parallel, as it is the same object 'smeared' across the image. The only time you will see wing effects is if they are bright enough/dark enough to actually register. Often that doesn't happen. Plus birds often glide, with no wing movement whatsoever. You need to think of all the possibilities, and also understand how digital sensors (and film for that matter) works, in what it actually manages to record.

As I said, we had no idea what it was, and a 'UFO' was the only accurate option. However, when I saw this particular forum and how the pictures posted resembled mine, I thought of Rods as another possibility.

So you believe there is something to them, despite what has been shown here, and the overwhelming evidence out there that rods are not only a known imaging phenomena but have also been promoted by any folks as a hoax? If that's the case, then I think it would be appropriate for you to post the full resolution original and let the analysis begin!

I saw rods filmed by cave jumpers on the TV years ago - and that footage looks pretty good to me.
The moth example shown in the film above isn't quite the same, neither is the gull, so I still wish to keep an open mind about the existence of Rods as being something we cannot as yet fully explain!

Why on earth would it be exactly the same? Can you emulate any of Depthoffield's excellent example images, and make your 'copies' exactly the same? And please be specific - we are trying to deny ignorance here - EXACTLY what is it about any of these images that you believe is not explained?

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Thank you for paying so much attention to my post, and for breaking it down into manageable segments.

I have to say, the relevant comment was that the object has 'straight' sides, not that it is parallel. An insect has a Head, Thorax and Abdomen, so it's unlikely to be that, and I'm familiar with moving birds in digital shots.

However, I am not that focused on resolving the identity of the 'strange' image that was caught on my camera, neither have I the time, or energy, to respond in detail to your questions, so I'm afraid I have to confess...

I have lost the will to live on this matter.

Enjoy stripping out all the other contributors... Ciao

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Ooh, one final observation... Moths and birds may well cause blurred 'rod like' images on digital footage, but I was under the impression that 'Rods' as I understood them, and as seen on previous TV programmes and youtube vids, cannot be easily detected by the naked eye, due to their high speed, and so are usually only seen on playback or still. However, flying birds and insects CAN easily be seen with the naked eye. Or did I miss something?

PS I don't deny that the moth and bird in the vid above show resemblance to 'Rods', well the moth anyway, but the difference to me is that their 'Rod' image is curved. The 'Rod' images and films I've seen show a dead straight line with wavy filaments along the side?? On vid they move very rapidly and are reported to be about 3ft long (typically). Doesn't this raise questions about the simple explanation given that all 'Rods' are insects or birds?!

Over and out!
edit on 14-10-2010 by ckitch because: Typo

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ckitch
Thank you for paying so much attention to my post, and for breaking it down into manageable segments.

That's quite ok. I am here, after all, to help deny inorance...

I have to say, the relevant comment was that the object has 'straight' sides, not that it is parallel. An insect has a Head, Thorax and Abdomen, so it's unlikely to be that

Given the objects shape is represented by the 'smear' of it, the fact that it has a few odd bumps is irrelevant.
Please allow me to explain by pictures, as this doesn't seem to be getting through.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d26b089ab08f.jpg[/atsimg]

Now, I've taken the time to deliberately slow the fly at the beginning and end of his movement, to show that you can BARELY detect the tiny impression of his body segments at either end, but if you then added a tiny bit of focus blur as well - clearly there is not a snowball's chance in hell of being able to detect the body parts of a fast moving insect. Flapping wings? Perhaps, if they were flapping at a rate that would be shown by the shutter speed/interlacing. But this has all been covered by the 'rods' explanation. It's not really up for debate...

and I'm familiar with moving birds in digital shots.

Well, it seems you may have just posted one and not recognised it... Bug, bird - very similar effect. I'll let the readers decide.

However, I am not that focused on resolving the identity of the 'strange' image that was caught on my camera

Funny that you posted it then...

neither have I the time, or energy, to respond in detail to your questions, so I'm afraid I have to confess...
I have lost the will to live on this matter.

Oh, the ... drama!!!!

Enjoy stripping out all the other contributors... Ciao

Only the ones that are wrong... Sayonara.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CHRLZ

Good to see you have a sense of humour, even if it's wasted on such minor matters.

I did chuckle I have to admit.

Wishing you all the best in your analysis of all things incorrectly assumed......

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join