It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was just wondering....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
There's allot of killing going around in South Africa and everyone has a different view on things. Some say we just have to stay hopeful and ignorant and others call it genocide and live in fear.

However, I was wondering that what if by some miracle the crime rate drops.Mean, everything would be fine, right? What about all those people who died that never got any justice? What would we call them...collateral damage? Would we say it was necessary for them to die so that we can finally have peace in S.A.? Is that the price one has to pay for a revolution and for equality?

Seems like a heavy price to pay if you ask me.

I’m not God and I don’t see myself in any position to judge, but I was wondering about this. Seems like everyone is so tired of all the politics or switching on the news and seeing another person got murdered.
Think most of all people are tired of being scared. None of them will actually do something, so far there’s only been a peaceful resistance towards the ANC.

I want sunshine and rainbows as much as the next person, but what’s it going to take to achieve that and even if we do what about all those that lost their lives.

It is easy for some of us to be ignorant because we are not the victims of these crimes but you cannot turn your back on someone who has been affected by this. What if you were a innocent girl that got raped? Or a father who lost their son or daughter? Could you seriously have sympathy for a world that turns it’s back on you all in the name of some cause?

I can tell you one thing…I have been noticing more and more people getting tired of this. Getting tired of being branded a racist or some white supremacist, no matter what they say or do. It’s been the ANC’s weapon of revolution ever since started. People are getting tired of being called the bad guys.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlovenlyGhost
Seems like everyone is so tired of all the politics or switching on the news and seeing another person got murdered.

Hey SG,

I come from JHB, and moved to Canada in 2007. I used to visit local SA websites and listen to 702 and Highveld Stereo on a regular basis - to keep in touch. I stopped about 6 months ago, because when ever the news came on, it depressed the hell out of me. All I was hearing is corruption, rape, murders etc.

Anyway, I logged onto 702 yesterday, and after about 1 hour I had to disconnect. I see nothing has changed there. It's so damn sad, because SA has so much potential. If the government could get crime under control, I believe it would flourish. But somehow I think they don't want that, almost as a means to maintain control over the masses through fear.

I got tired of the violent crime. Buddies getting hijacked, shot and killed, I figured how long was it going to be before I get in the firing line? Then 1 Friday afternoon on my way home from work I got caught in a crossfire, and just drove the hell out of there like a mad man. That could have been my last day

Thankfully I can keep in touch with friends on the internet..... but nothing can replace getting together on a Saturday afternoon for a braai, cracking a Castle and watching the bokke with your buddies.....

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Well, you aren’t the only one. I’m sure by now you’ve probably noticed most South Africans feel this way. It’s scary living in a country where you’re life has no value. It’s even more scary when you’re screams for help get swept aside. This thread will probably only get noticed by other South Africans. I’ve rarely ever seen someone from another country comment on anything that has to do with the crime in South Africa.

Not this will in any way solve the problem of crime in South Africa or even give the victims any justice.
I’m starting to think we’re alone on this one. We don’t have a lot of choices but to leave the country, start a thread on some forum or comment on a news article.

That or you could join the AWB, or some other right wing political group. But that will only leave the give us a bad name and the ANC more fire power. They run on right wing groups.

Just wondering why this never gets noticed. Mean, can’t anyone at least give us some answers. Is it because we’re doing something wrong that our pleads for help gets ignored or are we missing the bigger picture?? Just don’t get it. Maybe we just aren’t that important.

Think most ex pats want to return to South Africa but they’d rather not, the risk is too high.

Scary story, by the way. I’ve also been affected by crime. Luckily not as bad as you. Thankfully you got out. Guess it re-enforced your choice for leaving the country.

It’s true, the news is totally depressing. I’ve stopped listening/reading/watching the news myself. Makes you bitter every time you see something about someone getting murder or raped. Even more depressing when you know the cops won’t do much about it. Maybe things will change but I doubt that.

And even if they do who is going to pay for these crimes? So many people have lost their lives and probably will end up like the rest of us. Alone, and swept aside like some contagious disease no one wants to catch.

edit on 11/09/2010 by SlovenlyGhost because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/09/2010 by SlovenlyGhost because: (no reason given)

join