It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Host Made Fun Of Delhi Chief Minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
(not sure where to post this so mods, feel free to move to the right forum.)

New Zealand TV Host Paul Henry Made Fun Of Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Diks.hit

According to the Prime Minister of New Zealand, John Key, comments made by TV host Paul Henry have embarrassed the nation. Henry made a series of errors by mocking the name of Delhi’s chief minister Sheila Dik#. He went on to come out with a series of what seemed a lot like racial slurs, with one comment in particular by saying “It’s so appropriate because she’s Indian”. The television host was even told that the woman’s name was actually pronounced ‘Dixit’, but he still continued to mock the name.

www.thespreadit.com...#-scandal-new-zealand-india-at-odds-over-slur-5251/

Paul Henry resigned on Sunday amid an uproar over racial comments. He had mocked Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Diks.hit's name and made racial slurs against Indians.

ibnlive.in.com...

I admit that I thought it was a pretty funny watch at first..... but then again, it really isn't that funny at all when you think of it.
So, is this racism? Or just wrong humour?

edit on 10/10/2010 by GypsK because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I watched this a few days ago now, and laughed, even though I knew it was wrong. I was a big fan of pauls, he is a very talented and funny TV presenter, but this was too far.

Some specualtion went about the pronounciation of the name though. Because on all her other interviews they do pronounce Sheila's name the way Paul did, and in fact the "Dixit" thing is just for western media, because of the obvious meaning of her second name to us. But in india, especially english spoken indian interviews, they pronounce her name DikShi**.

Just Sayin...

Just a few examples:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

I could really go on...

Edit To Add

I don't think he should've resigned though. He is a very talented presenter, and has even won awards. I think this was just humourous to him, and he didn't set out to be racist. He should be made to apologise, but not to resign.
edit on 19 10uSunday10 20 by vanhippi because: ETA

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by vanhippi

ha, her name really is pronounced that way! (thanks for those links)

I know this happened 3 days ago, I didn't see the vid before today. As for Henry, he sure seems like a humorous person, but he went over the top with this one if you ask me....

I don't think he meant to be rasist though, just a bad joke that ran out of hand

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Not the first time this kinda thing has happened either.

Moustache

This was personally hilarious for me, but I can see why people get offended. It's about the woman in the beginning with a "Moustache".

You can see though, this is just the way he is, and people in New Zealand grew to know him like this.

He reminds me of Steve Carrel's character "Michael Scott", just the immaturity that is funny in a way

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by vanhippi

so you think it is only fair that he resigned (or had to)? Or is the whole thing blown out of proportions?

If that's the way he is then I'm sure the 'public' is aware of that, I don't know about viewer ratings for his show but something kept him on tv for so long.... did he simply make the mistake to bash on a politican? That's nothing new either....

The moustache joke was funny.... and in all honesty, you gotto see that one coming when you go on tv knowing you have a moustache...

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I thought it was funny!

Racist? I don't believe it is.

Tsom87

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hmm I wondered when this would hit ATS...

I originally thought they where blowing it out of proportion with all the protests (i still think the protests where over the top and John Campbell effectively rubbing his hands with glee every night on Campbell Live was cringe worthy), because yes... the womans name IS funny and no one who knew why it was would be able to stiffle at least a grin. Im sure theres a few english names that in indian come out sounding a little naughty or inappropriate...

The problem is Paul Henry is like a little kid, he doesnt know when to shut up... a giggle would be fine or a 'hmmm a rather unfortunate sounding name' , but going on and on about it and laughing like a little kid whos found his first swear word goes over the top.

I thought whoopy do at first and give the guy a break, but now i say 'Good riddance to him'... never liked the guy to begin with anyway, he was a self opinionated semi-celeb yuppy with a huge ego and little real social restraint. He was there for entertainment nothing more or less, maybe his co-host wont feel so nervous now.

And what the hell was TV1 thinking about billing the Mad Butcher as its legendary New Zealander on 'This is your Life' last night... I mean the Mad frickin Butcher seriously?.. oh TVNZ how far you have fallen... **goes back to watching TV3 and Prime**

Edit:- Oh also just to add, it wasnt just this indians name that was the issue that sparked this fiasco off since this was brought up AFTER he basically told the PM on his show during an interview segment 'When are we going to see a Governor General that reflects/or is a New Zealander'... our Governor General IS a natural born New Zealander of Indian descent, Paul Henry needed to do some research...

it was a stupid gaff but indicative of an underlying issue with the guy... on a side note my Brother used to date one of the Governor Generals daughters
years back

He hardly conducted himself very well post problem either.
edit on 10-10-2010 by BigfootNZ because: meh

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I didnt find it racist or funny,The funny part is the way Nzudders speak,what a bunch of dupshuts,

India and Unzud have some things in common they both really love their farm animals ,cows and sheep.Maaaaa

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
It can't be ''racist'', as Indian is a nationality, not a race. There are several hundred ethnic groups that live in India.

It can only be selective xenophobia.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I laughed.

Oh come on, it's funny.

EDIT: I saw the video. The dude is way over the top. He had what was coming to him.
edit on 10-10-2010 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12voltz
I didnt find it racist or funny,The funny part is the way Nzudders speak,what a bunch of dupshuts,

India and Unzud have some things in common they both really love their farm animals ,cows and sheep.Maaaaa

lolololololol stereotypes are lololololol
Wanker.

There really is no place in our very PC networks any more for him. He really should of not even brought up the thought of a 'real New Zealander'. Terrible mistake.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Looks to me like Mr. Henry is just another victim of Political Correctness. Nothing more, nothing less.

2nd line.

new topics

top topics

join