It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mature topic for women and men with daughters.- Feminine Survival Hygiene

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Gentlemen,
If the subject line offends your delicate sensibilities, why, oh why would you come inside and read, thereby offending your sensibilities even more?

This subject doesn't even affect me but I have a daughter in law and a granddaughter. I was researching for them and thought other women and fathers of daughters would appreciate this info too.

Thanks everyone else for contributing to the quality of this thread.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

I'm really not sure why people get all weird about discussing this. It happens to every woman, it's a normal function of their bodies and in a survival situation it is useful for them to know of alternatives. I think it was good of you to bring it up, flag from me.

Personally i think the moss is the best way to go, it's mildly antiseptic and incredibly absorbant. As for other regions i can't comment but i know that sphagnum moss of one kind or another grows all over europe, in the USA and canada.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

yeah its weird...

periods... why do some people freak out about it?

edit on 11-10-2010 by Thurisaz because: to add extra response

edit on 11-10-2010 by Thurisaz because: typo

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Apocolypstick

If the world comes to an end and things are as bad as you all say I'd stick a rag in my underwear or I'd wear a dress and let the blood run down my leg. My menses would be the least of my concerns.

If you are the last woman on the planet...turn out the light.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Nineteen

That is interesting and as a woman, I am almost ashamed to say I've never heard of such thing happening. It must be some kind of hormonal 'protection' thing.... thanks for the info.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Tripple_Helix

The term is amenorrhea and I can see this being a blessing while struggling to survive. Here is an article on stress induced (lack of nutrition, strenuous exercise, drastic weight loss, etc.) amennorhea.

Breaking the Cycle

Though many women would welcome the cessation of menstruation each month, it should never be a goal. Amenorrhea is a dangerous condition because the female body is in a crisis mode. Since the body's foremost responsibility is to maintain vital functions, it prioritizes when there isn't enough energy to go around. The reproductive cycle happens to be low on the list, so it could be sacrificed.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
There is a new fabric on the market that looks very promising for homemade absorbent items including diapers called Zorb. It is said to be hypoallergenic and leak resistant. I can think of many things beyond the current topic this would be useful for.

What is Zorb? Do you know?

There is a new soaker fabric available though. Recently, Wazoodle‘s cutting-edge textile design department developed a super absorbent product called Zorb. Wazoodle.com is a huge online retailer of all diaper making (or non diaper making) fabrics and supplies.

And where to get it: Wazoodle Fabrics

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
What a great point! (original post)

All too often, it's us guys who are preparing for this kind of thing...often with little input from the woman/women in our lives. It's an important consideration for their quality of life (and by extension...ours).

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Good topic, and one I hadn't thought about since I have a wife and daughter.

It seems to me that the whole modern product thing has only been around for like 50 years and it wouldn't take much to get back to the basics.

How about something like this as a solution?

www.buy.com...

Is that not a viable option?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JonInMichigan

Suggest that to your wife and daughter and let us know how that goes!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
disgusting.....worst post ever. The small amount of puke that just came up in my mouth is even more pleasant. I think this is an irrelavant topic and should be ONLY disgussed between women along with their other conspiracies against men.No man, anywhere, is mature enough to discuss this "punishment from GOD", there are a few men whipped enough though. No star, No flag....this is a topic best NOT discussed. I'm pretty sure one would know what to do when the time came. Just gross!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

yeah its weird...

periods... why do some people freak out about it?

edit on 11-10-2010 by Thurisaz because: to add extra response

edit on 11-10-2010 by Thurisaz because: typo

Because you bleed for 7 days .......and you don't die! How could I possibly trust something that can do that?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

As you can imagine, most of my suggestions don't go over very well with them.

One thing we would need to figure out is how to get my wife's IUD out. We are going to need to make some more babies to work in the fields in a post appocolyptic situation. I'm not joking. The need for a big family would be a major thing when growing your own crops. (Pssst... this eliminates the period issue for most of the year doesn't it?)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Okay here's a home remedy from a funky old red skin...
"Both the wife and daughter use this method"

How to cure yeast infections with "Apple Cider Vinegar"

Douche with 2 tablespoons of ACV and 1-1 1/2 cups water might sting at first... I would do this twice a day for a week to be sure.
2 tbsps of ACV with water once a day.
ACV on cotton balls applied directly to rash whenever irritated(it stings a minute but it is WORTH IT just gradually start with the bikini line and see what you can handle, especially inside the leg area)
I also after making sure CLEAN AND DRY down there applied desitin to keep it dry (desitin or other type of zinc oxide... seals out moisture)

well there you go, if your really burning sitting on ice packs helps too ya know...

edit to add if you have any hard cider on hand a few sips make you forget the itch

edit on 11-10-2010 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

Since you felt the need to come in and read ... and then respond knowing the subject at hand, I'd expect a more mature response. It didn't occur to you that this is a natural biological function without which YOU would not be here?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by JonInMichigan

My heart truly goes out to those women who have IUDs or other internal devices should the SHTF. Removal would be necessary for multiple reasons but primarily for the health of the woman. Those devices were not designed to be permanent and without a trained professional for removal things could go bad quickly. Infections would be my primary concern and even with antibiotics removal becomes critical.

Depending on the scenario creating children would not be a "lets get this done" priority. Having a safe and stable spot to sustain ones life is paramount. When things settle down and people get down to living instead of surviving people can better handle the demands of an infant.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Trust me when animals detect a human female monlthy cycle they are not interested it is a foriegn scarey smell apparently attractive to only sasquatch. But the number one thing you can spray around your camp to keep large predators away....gun oil, that or lay some freshly spent shells about and that should keep away almost any animal.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thanks for the post. In all the things I've read about survival after a catastrophe, this is one of the most overlooked subjects. Usually it is addressed as: be sure to keep plent of feminine napkins and hygene products stockpiled.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

Oh grow up! For heavens sake, man. This is something completely natural- it's not like it's chosen. Don't get your knickers in a knot about it. If ya don't like it, don't read it. And stop making the rest of us feel like we should be disgusted with ourselves because you can't come to terms with nature in a mature manner!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by nagabonar

Originally posted by rusethorcain

I hope this moves quickly to below top secret since it is a little nauseating to discuss in an open forum for conspiracies. Maybe it's just me. I apologize to the ladies I might offend. Not intentional but I have always been very uncomfortable talking about Flo.

I Hope it should stay on ATS. As uncomfortable it may seem - I have a daughter, and when SHTF, I must consider her and my wife's well being for survival

I agree with you. I'm married, and this is a topic that's important to discuss. People love to think about the explorative, and adventurous aspect of survival in a post apocalyptic world, but these people seldom see the world in a realistic way. One has to stop and think about everything that will be gone, or extremely hard to find within the first few months; feminine hygiene products or hygiene products all together being major ones. Food, weapons, and clothing will be others. Then there's the medication factor, and the dangers that go along with people who are dependent on medication to maintain a level of sanity. What happens when they can't get their daily doses. Diabetics are another group who are going to be in a world of hurt, as are the handicapped, or sick.
It'll be tough times. No one can ever claim that they're "ready". You can only be "bracing".

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join