It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mature topic for women and men with daughters.- Feminine Survival Hygiene

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

After some time spent lurking and peeking into the corners of ATS, I've decided to bite the bullet and start posting when I can. I am very interested in survival skills and how they might be adapted for someone (me) with a disability. I hate to think that I'd be left behind because I'm slow, so I need to bone up on the knowledge side of things to pull my own weight. This topic is one that I've sometimes vaguely worried about. In a family of all men, there's just my daughter and me. I've wondered how this sort of thing would be handled in a survival situation. I think your thread choice was insightful, and I *really* appreciated the videos on bushcraft. I plan to watch more of those. This gives me a lot to think about, and may just be that shove I needed to start getting my act together and getting serious. Thanks so much for your post!
Oblivietto
edit on 10/11/2010 by oblivietto because: signature line was incorrect

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
[

Why have a period at all?
www.mayoclinic.com...

Are you interested in delaying your period, or perhaps stopping your period entirely? It's possible with birth control pills. Here, Rosalina Abboud, M.D., an obstetrician and gynecologist at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., answers common questions about delaying your period with birth control pills.

Personally, I would never use anything to delay moontime. It's not healthy for the body, and when you come off of these pills there's always a risk of hemmorrhage or menorrhagia from delaying too long. Many women have had bad experiences with stopping moontime, and if you are in a situation where you can't access a doctor you'd bleed out and die. In a case of an extremely heavy moontime a woman can turn to shepherds purse to slow it down, but even then it must be done with care. It's a powerful herb.

*i'm not a doctor, just taught about herbs from my grandmother

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
There's a reason why women for decades have referred to their menstruation as 'being on the rag'

For hundreds of years that was probably the best option. Just make sure you hand wash your 'rags' regularly. Other than that its pretty much common sense in my opinion.

And, I'm not a chic, just someone who happens to enjoy them from time to time

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
I would like to ask an ancient woman how they managed their time of month without chocolate and a big caramel iced coffee.

Without chocolate, this is me -------->

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
If at any time one finds they need to take a dump.....next to the river, not In the river, for the next rain will wash it outosite. I have yet to meet a man who appreciates the view of toilet paper alongside the trail. The flys don't seem to mind. The laws of the jungle rely on common sense. It's common for a reason. It works, most of the time. In the near future, many more folks will be spending time in dabush. This will be interesting. Threre is enough information on this site and others to satisfy any 'how to' survival questions. Back to gold and silver currency for the interim to something better, more simple though much more personable.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
How is this front page ATS material? what the hell people? do people not know about BELOWtopsecret?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I think I will just buy in bulk and stock up. Those home made sanitary pads don't look very safe...they would need a waterproof lining at the bottom as well. But this is definitely something we should all be thinking about. For some reason, I can actually picture 'only women' camps for a week or two a month as women tend to sync up when they are together. I for one would be really uncomfortable boiling those home made things around a bunch of men.

S+F

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Elliot

where did you get that information? Women in the far east (china) have quite normal periods. if the uterus is not lined with rich blood the fetus wont develop properly. I can think of a billion people who can prove your statement false.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

...and if you want to go back to olden days.. how do you stop a period? stay pregnant.of course in a survival situation there's no welfare.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SL55T0T0
How is this front page ATS material? what the hell people? do people not know about BELOWtopsecret?

My girls ARE MY front page anytime and thank the OP for bringing it up s n f

So you dont think this is important? If the shtf would you not want to know info that could stop our women folk from getting infections or worse because youre a squeamish titty la la?

What if you were in a position where you and yours were being pursued by tptb using dogs and just because one of your womenfolk was menstruating and did not mask the scent you get caught by dog teams? Sounds far fetched? Ask some people in Bosnia who got caught out. Oh wait, you cant because they were raped and killed alongside the men who was made to watch..

Modern western women on the whole would not have a clue about this. Men too. And in a survival situation would you want to watch a woman suffer and die because of infection that is totally avoidable?

Grow up or jog on to another thread that does not hurt your delicate sensabilities.. The title does say MATURE after all
edit on 11-10-2010 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Great thread topic

I am not a women, and do not have any daughters, but I am in favor of taking care of the "hu hoz" (that is not neither a technical or medically correct term), and recognize and acknowledge the necessity, importance, and health concerns surrounding such a topic.

Thanks SeenMyShare,
ET

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1

bloodhounds can track a man's socks as easily as a woman's menses.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

I know, but if you mask one thing and not the other then whats the point..

Keep all bases covered

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

you can't mask either, if you are on foot, once you bring the dogs in you are caught. period.(lol).

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I boil my 'cup' for 15 mins before my period and just after. No chemicals needed to clean it.

During my period I rinse it in clean water.

It sits on my bathroom shelf in between periods.

Easy.

I thought I would be disgusted and not able to use it. I have found it an amazing piece of kit - would highly recommend. No spills. No mess. No rags...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
ok to much info

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Only if you have that attitude..

There are many ways to mask your scent from dogs and most of them require the use of a dead animal if there is no river about. But if you have covered your bases then a vial of in season bitch pee throws them off.. I kid you not, there are people THAT prepared!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

You can use natural sea sponges,which are easily washed for re-use.They can be purchased at pharmacy stores.

As a 19 year old I went on an extended hiking trip,and three weeks out remembered I hadn't packed any feminine hygiene equipment,so naturally I panicked,and for the first time in my regular schedule,the period never came.I just skipped the month. Another time,a decade later,I had my period,and got separated from my gear due to a bushfire. I was desperate,and again panicked.To my relief however,the period(which was in the heavy phase)stopped abruptly and that was it for the month. Women in prisoner of war camps reportedly never got their periods at all.

As regards increased risks with wild animals then perhaps you could rub strong smelling plants onto your exposed skin to counteract this,or add to a billy and use to wash yourself e.g.pine needles maybe.Why not checkout what,if anything,the indigenous people used in the past and how they dealt with the whole issue.Australian aboriginals used to use paperbark,but they had no bears or big cats to worry about.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
You guys been watching to much Mad Max its better to try to solve problems before they turn into all out war, for example help out on getting a new 9/11 investigation to presecute the real evildoers, its the only way to justify cutting down the pentagon budget back to 20 Billon(01) instead of 70 now

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

no doubt, i can buy deer "sex scent" at my local wal-mart.but guess what, still doesn't fool the dogs.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join