It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mature topic for women and men with daughters.- Feminine Survival Hygiene

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

Any source for your claim that they just "drip away"? I doubt it....

here is excerpt which mentions that woman hygiene is actually an ancient practice, and below a source which shows that even the old egypts knew about woman hygiene:

Women of ancient cultures couldn't buy feminine hygiene products at the supermarket or drugstore chain, so they improvised, fashioning them instead out of various natural and biodegradable materials—from papyrus and wool to grasses and vegetable fibers.

www.vegfamily.com...
www.mum.org...

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Flagged.

An important topic that is sure to be overlooked by many who just didn't think of some of these issues/concerns in their preparations.

Sure to be over looked?
If it didn't come to mind immediately in about 28 days you would have another chance to think about it and perhaps it would occur to them then?

This might be a good time to weed out the hopelessly stupid anyway.

Why have a period at all?
www.mayoclinic.com...

Are you interested in delaying your period, or perhaps stopping your period entirely? It's possible with birth control pills. Here, Rosalina Abboud, M.D., an obstetrician and gynecologist at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., answers common questions about delaying your period with birth control pills.

I hope this moves quickly to below top secret since it is a little nauseating to discuss in an open forum for conspiracies. Maybe it's just me. I apologize to the ladies I might offend. Not intentional but I have always been very uncomfortable talking about Flo.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I know that sphagnum moss was once used for female hygiene products. This wouldn't really be suitable as a tampon but more as the towel type thing.

Basically you take some of this moss, boil it quickly and then allow it to dry completely. It will be a little rough but it's very absortbant, it will break down when thrown away and the moss is usually in plentiful supply. It used to also be used as a battle dressing so you know it's fit for purpose.

Hope this was helpful.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

I hope this moves quickly to below top secret since it is a little nauseating to discuss in an open forum for conspiracies. Maybe it's just me. I apologize to the ladies I might offend. Not intentional but I have always been very uncomfortable talking about Flo.

I Hope it should stay on ATS. As uncomfortable it may seem - I have a daughter, and when SHTF, I must consider her and my wife's well being for survival

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

ya can get pretty funky without particularly adverse side effects.

I have been experimenting for awhile.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Being a man, with no children, just knowing the female body from experience and biology, I'd have to agree with both sides of the table.

First being those that want to be prepared for either themselves or loved ones; and others being males stating ideas from present and past.

IMO, you can take both sides to make the best possible option. If you've learned know how to make hygienic products from nature versus store bought it's not impossible to improve from our ancestors. 200-300-400 years ago depending on your class, society you lived in, you were on your own. If SHTF, and you're survival ready, every and anything you kill can be used as protected. Even the right leaf fastened properly would suffice, and might have medical properties depending. Everything we need is around us, it's knowing what they are specifically used for is the question and answer.

Great question OP, somewhat new to ATS and little gun shy, but you've addressed a topic I haven't seen here since my 3 months of wandering truthiness.

P.S. Native American woman didn't have tampons or pads as we know them. Any idea's of how they kept and hunted animals SO successfully? Would be the best advice I could give, as they truly lived off the land in N.A.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Sphagnum has antiseptic properties and can hold up to twenty times its weight in water, much more than cotton. Sphagnum was used as a bandage for soldiers wounded in the Russo-Japanese War (1904-05) and World War I. By using sphagnum for bandages, cotton could be saved for making gun powder.

Source

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Why do I feel someone just invaded someone's privacy?
Most ladies don't speak of such matters among the menfolk.
Helpful yes, ATS kindastuff, ?
I wont watch the videos for fear of feeling guilty for lol.
I'd rather pass it to my wife though on second thought, I don't want to give her 'another' reason not to go back in the jungle. She a city girl, though quite cute indeed. She was on a Miami Vice episode though her picture is in older version and she appears half her age. She still does.....

Wow, could you imagine a city girl taking such instructions from these ladies?
That's hilarious.
This would make a good reality show.
Maybe not.
edit on 11-10-2010 by Perseus Apex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
i have been using my silicone cup for over a year now.

Clean, easy, light - I have a few in storage also...but one should last me a lifetime.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Yeah i said sphagnum moss already, it really is great stuff for a few different things, including insulation. However as a sanitary device i imagine it would be perfectly suitable.

As for soaps and things i have a very old thread on that if anyone is interested, using very basic methods.

Candle and Soap Making

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Sometimes we have to turn to nature not only times of scarcity. Cervical cancer has been on the rise among women. I recall there was much debate one time ago. Suspected culprit was the fragrance/chemical used in most commercialized tampons.

At least in my family, my sister acknowledged it and she said she's using the non-fragrance tampons. And my mum doesn't need one cause she's already menopause for some time.

Seriously, there has been very little knowledge/awareness on how to create an effective natural tampon.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   
As a woman myself I have wondered about this, but I had never actually thought about it from a hunting point of view. I'm embarrassingly 'urban' and had no idea our sent was actually that strong. .

I actually own a few re-usable pads and they are great. I, personally, wouldn't be comfortable with the cup so that's really not an option for me.

An IUD can last 5 years and for a lot of women stops menstruation completely. So this could be an option for some (me).

That mini washing machine is BRILLIANT!! I have never seen anything like that before, but i would love to get one, just in case. I never, ever go camping and do not intend too but it'll be mighty handy if the SHTF!!

Great thread! S&F!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Uh huh... and when the world as we know it ends... where are women supposed to get said birth control pills??? The packs I used to buy only came with a 4 month supply, what am I supposed to do when the chemists have been looted of everything in sight? It's not always financially viable to 'stock up' and HBC comes with a use by date.

I don't see why this should be moved to BTS.... this is a very important survival topic that most people are just too chicken # to address. In fact this is the ONLY time I have ever seen this particular topic addressed in relation to apocalyptic survival. If it makes you that squeamish, feel free to go hang out in less offensive threads

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
One advantage for the cup is that it often makes the cycles lighter and shorter over time with regular use. I experienced that myself.

OK, but since we are being all serious and talking FEMININE NEEDS - What about chocolate and Pmamprin?

A bottle of 500 Pamprin or Midol & chocolate might help men survive too.
edit on 11-10-2010 by hadriana because: horrid grammar

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
This is a topic that is often put on the back burner but would quickly become a top priority in long term survival. For all women and men with daughters who are planning survival kits, BOBs, and long term self sustainability this needs to be considered.

edit on 10/10/2010 by SeenMyShare because: fixed video link

Very creative idea to make these pads yourself. Can't seem to get off of the idea it's like going back to the 40S & 50S. Cooking cotton pads again aint that hygienic at all. And what about kids nappies and eldery persons who need sanitary care? Don't see myself making piles of extra double padded kiddy and/or eldrly nappies.

I prefer to look into what solutions Native tribes have for feminine hygiene.

Did you consider the fact that when something on earth (in a country) will happen that will need long term survival, women can be in such a shock and trauma that they very likely will stop menstruating?

I wish the 'survivors' good luck. It will be a h*ck of a time I guess.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
It is also worth remembering, before anyone thinks that after months of not very much to eat, barely any protein and possible distress, periods may become very scant as compared to what the modern western woman normally experiences.

In the far east, where protein is very limited for women and weight much lower, periods are barely noticed and as people possibly struggle to survive women are unlikely to be suffering a heavy loss unless they have a pre existing medical problem.

A scant few drops may be the most many women may experience to even indicate that that period has arrived!

Also a raw food diet along with the low protein may eliminate this problem altogether.

edit on 11-10-2010 by Elliot because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Thanks for this thread, as a father of two girls who are at the age where they may start their periods any day, info like this is always handy.

A good deal of my preps go into feminine hygeine products. Liners for day and night, wipes, nappy sacks etc.

Lots of each.

CX.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Thanks a lot, I have wife and a 8 years old daughter. S&F of course.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
I've thought, pondered, considered, deliberated, and speculated for many years on what I would do in this situation.

So I decided to test it out. I spent 3 years roaming through the Rocky mountains. I used everything from a pile of leaves to a skunk carcass for pads. (I thought perhaps that the musk of the skunk would mask any feminine odors, and I have to say, it only seems to magnify it.) I tried a dead bird as well. (I presumed that the bird's cadaver would be super absorbent with all those feathers, have four wall protection, and it even had wings!) But no, that was a bad idea as well. So I quickly began to created my own makeshift tampons. I used things ranging from sticks to mice carcasses. (I thought the mices' tails would make for an easy removal.) So I did what anyone would do in a situation such as mine - one in which they give up their entire life - family, career, etc... to go live in the mountains for 3 years - I decided to free ball it. I left a trail of crimson behind me where ever my trek let me go. It was great! I captured many more animals to eat and clothe myself in.

And to this day, sitting here at my computer, when Aunt Flow visits me I welcome her with open arms...and legs...and let her flow.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
My grandmother told me that you can use a clean piece of buckskin attached to a thong. You tie the strings around your hips like a bikini bottom, and line it with lambs wool or other absorbant pieces of fabric. You can change out the wool with other pieces at the ready, and wash it out and dry it. It will dry easily, although it will hold the stain. A woman could also use a diva cup, and find a way to sterilize it. In the case of needing to get clean, a bottle of white vinegar is very useful when diluted, or diluted hydrogen peroxide with water, (very little peroxide to water).

It's not really handy having to carry around bottles of vinegar or peroxide, but I will have peroxide for other first aid issues.

And men folk, don't read further if you find these issues bother you lol

I've also heard about women who use nothing at all during their moon time, I'm not sure how that would work in a shtf situation. Some wear a long skirt to the ground and just "bleed freely", and wash up a few times of the day. Seems messy, but if you were in a situation where you have nothing at all... then wearing the long skirt may be your only option.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join