It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial Lighting as a Vector Attractant and Cause of Disease

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Artificial Lighting as a Vector Attractant and Cause of Disease Diffusion

Background: Traditionally, epidemiologists have considered electrification to be a positive factor. In fact, electrification as well as plumbing are typical initiatives that represent the integration of an isolated population into modern society, ensuring the control of pathogens and promoting public health. Nonetheless, electrification is always accompanied by night lighting, which attracts insect vectors and changes people’s behavior. Although this may lead to new modes of infection and increased transmission of insect-borne diseases, the role of night lighting is rarely considered in epidemiological surveys.

Objectives: This paper reviews evidence concerning the role of lighting in the spread of diseases as documented in epidemiological literature, in order to encourage other researchers to consider this element in future studies.

Conclusion: Despite a surprising lack of studies, we conclude that existing evidence supports our hypothesis that artificial lighting leads to a higher risk of infection with vector-borne diseases. We believe that this is not only related to the simple attraction of traditional vectors to light sources, but also to changes in the behavior of both humans and insects that result in new modes of disease transmission. Considering the ongoing expansion of night lighting in developing countries, additional research on this subject is urgently needed.

This is a very interesting study.

The full study can be found here. (*.pdf)

Surprisingly, very little research has been done on this topic.

I found the case studies particularly interesting. Lot's of food for thought.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Hmm interesting but I dont know, I dont think ive ever gotten sick from a moth, and the only thing i can think of that would give me any type of disease would be a mosquito and they bug me regardless of if an artificial light is on or off... heck often they bug me MORE when the light is off (natural or artificial).

As for flies etc... they only become an issue for us in the spring summer period and they from what ive observed, our flies go to sleep the moment the sun goes down (the congregate on the ceiling in areas due to warmth) and are most active during the mid afternoon summer heat.

What i will say is, artificial light in enclosed office spaces DOES contribute to disease and sickness... humans need sunlight (its a great sterilizer and essential to our immune system), but modern man spends more time under fluorescent lights and mercury filled eco-bulbs than real light. Although id agree that the change in our biorhythm brought about by being able to work and live well after dark thanks to artificial lighting would also cause health issues, I wouldnt blame the insects.
edit on 10-10-2010 by BigfootNZ because: meh meh

join