It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia's new weapon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Oh yeah a few questions. Why does Australia need this and no offense to Australia but how would they afford these things. And why have a grenade launcher that fires so fast, normaly one does the trick anymore is a bit of a hazard in the hands of an inexpirienced soldier.

It's a fair question, but I didn't really want to turn this into a thread about Australia's rapid economic growth (Probably the only upside to this Liberal government, which I do appreciate). But seeing as you asked...among other things, Australia also boasts a high quality public health system, government subsidised higher education system and still manages to afford these projects. But the reason for this has a lot to do with having a smaller population and the fact that for several years Australia's economy has been the fastest growing in the developed world. Australia also has quite a highly taxed workforce, particularly in the high income brackets.

Just to illustrate a point: a friend of mine in the US now has a $60,000 outstanding student loan and has to make monthly repayments of something like $650 a month, outrageous interest included. Basically in Aust, the government pays all your University fees until you get a job earning over $25,000 a year and then they take 3% of your annual taxable income (upto 6% when you earn over 45,000 per year) all interest free. This is tax dollars at work and has been the system here for quite some time.

As for why Australia would need these weapons, the reputation of the Aust SAS, let alone the Aust Army, has been reinforced enough on these forums. And as for your statement about inexperienced soldiers, the ADF is one of the most highly trained (albeit relatively small) armies in the world. The answer could be as simple as the need to engage multiple targets in quick succession. I believe the OICW also has a semi-auto grenade launcher, and I doubt there would be many situations when a soldier would need to fire off all grenades in a full auto fashion. It's like asking why cars can go 200 kilometres an hour when the speed limit is 100 (and for good reason). I guess it's just nice to know the option to is available.

Ugh. I didn't really intend on typing this much, but I hope it clears up any questions you had.

[edit on 27-6-2004 by cargo]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Great reply cargo you beat me to it and you answed the question well about if australia can afford it . We dont live in mud huts you know

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Oh yeah a few questions. Why does Australia need this and no offense to Australia but how would they afford these things. And why have a grenade launcher that fires so fast, normaly one does the trick anymore is a bit of a hazard in the hands of an inexpirienced soldier.

[edit on 6/26/2004 by cyberdude78]

$3.2 million in research. Yeah that must be HEAPs of money...

For more advanced technology in combat....I think it's well spent.

Originally posted by WestPoint23
CD that is what i am trying to say it is a waste of ammunition to fire all of them at once.

You wont fire them all at once, though you can. YEs that is an option....IF you want. You dont need t. I said that earlier.

And as for inserting the bullets 1 by 1 into a tube...gimme a break. Do you really think you'd have to sit there in combat with bullets rolling around in ur hands while you put them in slowly one buy one into a tube? Gimme a break. There would be a magazine on the back or something containing the bullets taht would automatically push them in there.

geez.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Wow i should move to australia

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by rustiswordz
looks like a poor mans OCIW...

Hey, we are Australians, we don't have an unlimited budget you know. Gezz we just retired a squadron of combat Iraquoi's (Huey's) from back in Vietnam this week.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Hey cargo thanks for awnsering my questions. I does look like a very good gun. Better than an M-16 or AK-47. Anyone know when the Australians might be using these, because I'd like to see these in action.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   
You're welcome. I dont know when or if the ADF will designate this gun, I just found out about it in this thread too. I am actually still a bit skeptical about the current state of metalstorm tech on a small arms scale but am interested to see how it fairs.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Here is an interesting article regarding MetalStorm and the AICW (further down the article).

Metal Storm Warning!

With the dramatic video game/sci-fi/rock music name of Metal Storm, and more than $400 million in government backing and private bankrolling, Australian inventor Mike O'Dwyer's patented new system seems poised to launch a revolution: overthrowing centuries of traditional firearm technology with the merest click of a computer mouse.

This and some other configurations, including a handgun, have been successfully demonstrated for high-level leaders in military and scientific communities in O'Dwyer's home country and in the United States. In fact, following a live-fire test in July 2001 at an Army Research Laboratory facility near Washington, D.C., Metal Storm received a contract from techno-gurus at Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency worth more than $10 million of our American tax dollars to develop an "Advanced Sniper Rifle." Partners in this endeavor include. U.S.-based Science Applications International and Alliant TechSystems. Alliant, it should be pointed out, is also the prime contractor on the American military's Objective Individual Combat Weapon. Hmm.

D

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Oh yeah a few questions. Why does Australia need this and no offense to Australia but how would they afford these things.

Well, Metal Storm is an Australian owned and run company with its head office in Queensland. A couple of US offices here and there.

Anyway, I'm sure the Aust. Govt. would be able to work out something to get them for a lower price. Not to say Australia can't afford them in the first place. Australia can easily afford the Metal Storm guns.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Because we kickass
, we are pretty well off (besides having a tiny pop to pay for roads etc for the massive damn country).

You should probobly be more supprised at the American Metal Storm developing similar things, with their national debt of $7,214,605,699,285.04
www.brillig.com...

Mmmmm debt.

posted on Jun, 29 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I just don't know about Australia putting these into mass production to equip their army. But how many rifles would they need to do this. A large for like the US would be difficult to fully equip. Even with our multi billion dollar budget.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join