It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queensland's wet spring!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Brisbane suburbs most at risk from flooding

An analysis of Brisbane's flood maps reveal suburbs including Rocklea, Windsor, Toombul, Deagon, Ashgrove, Albion, Bulimba, Chelmer and Tennyson are at risk if the rain keeps falling. Lord Mayor Campbell Newman said no amount of flood mitigation works would protect low-lying areas of the city, as he foreshadowed a repeat of the 1974 floods. Southeast Queensland Water Grid managers said yesterday residents should feel secure that Wivenhoe would mitigate the impact of a 1974 rainfall, but other experts said the southeast needed to prepare for the worst-case scenario

and (the last sentence sticks out the most to me)

Mr Robertson yesterday blamed local councils for allowing Queenslanders to build in the flood-prone areas. "That is a council responsibility and always has been," he said. Although Southeast Queensland Water Grid spokesman Barry Dennien said water levels were meticulously managed by the use of floodgates ,he was unable to say what would happen if more water fell than the amount in 1974.

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

This rain is great!
There's so much flooding around where i live

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FunktheNWO

Yeah, I can't complain personally as we have had very little in our suburb in brisbane west - I feel sorry for the people that have copped it, when they keep saying on the news it's only going to rain more all spring/summer! I'd get packin' now!

Tell you what though, next sunny day, the grass is definitely getting mowed!!! it's gone crazy!

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
The 116 photographs in the link the OP posted are phenonminal! I started looking at them, and couldn't stop.
Foam, foam, foam, everywhere.
People seem to be making the best of it, when possible. Kids seem to love it. (And dogs.)

Anyway, you guys take care down there! It looks like a slippery mess. I hope you are not so miserable that you don't take time to notice how beautiful it is.
edit on 10/12/2010 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join