It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush and Castro Face Off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Will Bush force a regime change in Cuba? Looks like he will.

Published on Thursday, June 24, 2004 by CommonDreams.org
Countdown to Cuba Transition: Bush and Castro Face Off
by Laura Carlsen

The recent exchange of threats between the Cuban and U.S. governments may seem like more of the same stand-off rhetoric that has characterized relations between the two since the Cuban revolution 45 years ago. But as a Cuban political transition approaches and aggressive new U.S. policies call for regime change and tighter economic sanctions, a dangerous confrontation may be brewing. This month restrictions to tighten the U.S. embargo against Cuba go into effect. The measures will cost U.S. taxpayers some $59 million dollars -- and thats just for starters.

The new policies are the result of a 500-page report from the Commission for Assistance to a Free Cuba. The Commission was charged with developing plans to bring an end to the regime of Cuban dictator Fidel Castro and to prepare to assist a post-Castro Cuba, in the words of Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs Roger Noriega.

The commission recommendations include increased support for Cuban dissidents, further restrictions on travel and remittances to the island, stepped-up propaganda efforts and measures to exert more international pressure on the island.

Continue
www.commondreams.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Wow, you know if they just dropped these embargos everybody would be happy, business would come into Cuba (which by the way has some very educated people), and Castro would probably step down from office. But I know one thing, this whole confrontation has nothing to do with the people of Cuba, at least when it comes to our government.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
They tried this back in late 50's and early 60's and guess what? It didn't work! Ever heard of Baha de Cochinos? Or Operation Mongoose, the governments hopelessly ineffective efforts to depose Castro?

Operation Mongoose

[edit on 26-6-2004 by maynardsthirdeye]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Your correct maynardsthirdeye, but as you have so eloquently mentioned, that was "back in late 50's and early 60's". Do not be fooled into thinking that the US wants Cuba or even gives a fart about Castro. If the US wanted Castro gone, he'd BE gone. If the US wanted Cuba, Cuba would be owned already. All that is transpiring is the same rhetoric that has always been going on between Castro/Cuba and any US President that happens to be in office.

seekerof

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
A lot harder president, with a lot more political support have tried to bring Castro down, it hasn't happened. Also, I don't get what the problem is with Cuba. Don't say it's because Castro is a dictator and these sanctions are in place for the people, I don't buy that. The only reasoning I see is that Castro sided with the Soviets, "so you picked the person you wanted to be in bed with, we wash our hands of you, with a spanking to boot."

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
intrepid, its apparent that I wasn't voted into office, because that which I was refering to wouldn't be political "regime change" with Castro, it would be him in a body bag forced removal. No Operation Mongoose, no sanctions, no problemo. The US needs to rethink it assassination policies....

seekerof

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Didn't see your previous post Seeker, we posted at the same time, so could you fill me in as to WHY the US gov't has it so hard for Cuba, ie: santions?

new topics

top topics

join