It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary Laser Weapon under $500

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I normally write on the Paranormal and Alien sections, but a few months ago I was working with my laser engraver and almost cut my finger while adjusting the laser mirrors.

I have a 40watt CO2 Laser Engraver I was cleaning the lens and adjusting the mirrors, since the laser beam is not visible to the eye, you have to put a piece of clear plastic in front of the mirror and turn the laser on and check if the laser beam burn the clear plastic and check if its centered, while testing the laser I put my finger in the path of the laser beam lucky for me was before the final lens, the final lens makes the laser beam smaller so I can cut thru wood, plastic etc. no metals.

The laser beam output after the lens it will go thru 1/2 inch wood in less than a second, I was burn with the normal laser beam wich is about 1/8" in diamater. it hurt like crazy the beam was only on for a fraction of a second but it "fried" the top of my skin.

What scaries me is that the 2 main components to make this laser works are very easy to buy on ebay for less than $500, Laser tube and power supply. Mine is only 40watts but there are other more powerfull laser tubes on ebay 80w and 100w.

Other thing is that the laser light is non visible to the eye or cameras. Without any lens you can burn wood, melt plastics fast and burn people from a long distance, its kinda scary because it will be very hard to find the source.

Here is a little video without any lens just the output of the laser tube 1/8" diamater beam , melting Rosin Core soldering wire and going thru 1/16" acrylic.

PS: Forgot to add that for this test the power of the laser is set to 65% it doesnt let me do tests on 100% power output. Just imagine a 100watt laser set to 100% , people can start fires in forest from a distance or even burn wood houses from a distance, I dont know about you but this is scary.

edit on 9-10-2010 by cdesigns because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Then you need to surrender your laser engraver to the police in the interest of public safety

But yes it could be dangerous. I'm not an expert in lasers but I know someone needs a significant skill level to build something that is portable, doesn't weight a ton including the powerpack, and is durable.

There are 'lightsabers' for sale that can burn through garbage bags. There was a thread about it.

But... I want one that can cut stuff

I hope lasers will replace saws one day so I can cut uber accurate stuff but it's up to people to be responsible with the tech, not that the government or corporations will be responsible with it btw, using it to kill people or whatnot but...

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
If you can create this laser weapon at home,just imagine what the military versions can do .I will have my steak well done, star wars style thanks
edit on 9-10-2010 by 12voltz because: i can

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Kewlness.

For me, this is just more evidence that any real terrorist would lay waste to the US or Europe and never get caught.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
it looks to me that the machine is a bit on the large side, so how exactly would someone use one of these to burn down a forest or burn someone some distance away WITHOUT being seen ? I think your fears are unlikely to become a reality anytime soon.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
another laser scare thread.

these are lab lasers that are not portable and never will be portable. portable lasers either function through diode or DPSS.

so far the highest power output available for a portable is just over 1 watt. which can start a fire from about 5 feet away without any focusing lenses, which is about as dangerous as a lighter + can of hairspray.

there are some higher output diodes available, but they are more expensive than most people can afford, and require being built from scratch. you can count on 1 hand how many people have made these and they can only start fires from maybe 10-15 feet away at the most.

id be more worried about peoples eyes.you can blind somebody from miles away. the reason the laser in the video is invisible is because its in the infrared spectrum.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sayzaar
it looks to me that the machine is a bit on the large side, so how exactly would someone use one of these to burn down a forest or burn someone some distance away WITHOUT being seen ? I think your fears are unlikely to become a reality anytime soon.

The machine is large because it has electronics to control the servo motors etc. You can remove the laser tube that is about 24" long and 2-3/4" in diameter, and the only thing you need to power up is the power supply that is about 8" x 5" x 3" PCB board. it uses 120V and it doesnt consume to much wattage.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cdesigns

in other words, youll look like a ghostbuster.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker
another laser scare thread.

these are lab lasers that are not portable and never will be portable. portable lasers either function through diode or DPSS.

so far the highest power output available for a portable is just over 1 watt. which can start a fire from about 5 feet away without any focusing lenses, which is about as dangerous as a lighter + can of hairspray.

there are some higher output diodes available, but they are more expensive than most people can afford, and require being built from scratch. you can count on 1 hand how many people have made these and they can only start fires from maybe 10-15 feet away at the most.

id be more worried about peoples eyes.you can blind somebody from miles away. the reason the laser in the video is invisible is because its in the infrared spectrum.

This laser tube is fill with CO2 gas, is about 24" long and 2-3/4" in diameter, it fires up only with a power supply that its about 8"x5"x3" more or less and it doesnt consume to much wattage.

With a few packs of 14.8v R/C lipo batteries (light weight and with good amperage) and a small DC to AC inverter you can make this laser portable if you fit things neet in a back pack. The only thing is that for long working periods you need to run water thru the laser tube, wich can be done easilly too.

This is the powersupply size

And this is the laser tube

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

yes ive seen it done on many forums and to me they always end up looking like a ghostbuster.

and to me 100 watts is A LOT

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RelentlessLurker

yes ive seen it done on many forums and to me they always end up looking like a ghostbuster.

and to me 100 watts is A LOT

That would be the case if you have one on yourself as portable back pack.

But just imagine a person setting this on his car or pickup. He doesnt need to take the laser tube out of the window and start burning stuff or causing damage, just by using laser mirrors as small as 3/4" in diamater you can bounce the laser beam anywhere you want. he can install the laser tube or tubes in his trunk and route the laser beam to any direction using the laser mirrors.

This is not a diode laser, this is a CO2 laser wich is very cheap, powerful and the power output has long range.

Check this video I found on youtube (not mine) He has a nice setup with watercooling, better power supply etc.
You can burn rubber, wood, plastic, heat metals, burn and cut thru skin etc. Just thinking that someone can park close to a fuel station and point the laser beam to the fuel hoses and create a huge fire or even worse burning forest and wood houses. The FDA regulates RED, GREEN, BLUE and PURPLE laser to 5mw most of this china suppliers on ebay no longer sell larger power pointer laser to US customers. so why they do allow 40w laser or larger to be sold without any certification?

Right now my neighboor in front of my house is washing his motorcycle, I see a red gas tank and beach towels inside his garage, to make the towels catch fire from inside my home thru my window I only need to turn on the laser for a about 5 seconds and to melt the gas tank and start fire maybe 15 seconds. now you tell me if this is not scary? I know I will never do something like this but just imagine who will and what would they do.

edit on 10-10-2010 by cdesigns because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2010 by cdesigns because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I think lasers are not good as weapons because the moisture in the air refracts and reflects the light, so it can only be used effectively at short distances and in good weather.

But I am not an expert on lasers, far from it.

PS: wouldn't a mirror defeat a laser?

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Well if you see someone trying to laze your eyes, don't decide the humidity will keep you safe. Your hubris could be dangerous.

With some of the lasers one can buy today, one can blind their enemy from a distance.

Edit:

One day there will be laser fights..... Imagine that Armap:

edit on 10-10-2010 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
I think lasers are not good as weapons because the moisture in the air refracts and reflects the light, so it can only be used effectively at short distances and in good weather.

But I am not an expert on lasers, far from it.

PS: wouldn't a mirror defeat a laser?

The laser mirrors are gold plated and they do lowers the power if they are dirty, but they are perfect , cheap mirrors will explote if used with this type of lasers.

regarding moisture in the air I do know that reflection of the laser beam on my machine when I engrave aluminum you can feel the laser beam reflection like a hair blower heat in low. and thats with flat aluminum polish aluminums reflects more.

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Here is a little test taking the laser beam temperature, this infrared thermometer is 400F max, once I hit the test button on my machine the thermometer marks - - - over 400F Im going to remove my BBQ thermometer and see how much it raises during the week.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder what you hoped to accomplish by starting this thread. Please clarify that for us if you don't mind. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFlash
I can't help but wonder what you hoped to accomplish by starting this thread. Please clarify that for us if you don't mind. Thanks.

To tell you the truth I just thought how dangerous would be using one of this laser for terrorism somehow, the more I think how this laser can be used and I explained here the worse I feel because, I'm telling them what kind of bad things they can do with it.

I will not give more ideas, I dont want the FBI knocking on my door, I already have Arabs living next door, their wifi network name is Saudiya. you never know.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by cdesigns

Originally posted by TheFlash

I already have Arabs living next door, their wifi network name is Saudiya. you never know.

That is pure genius my friend. I used to live nextdoor to Arabs and their wifi network was Jihad, no joke.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
You don't want to know what my wifi is then....LOL But I will tell you anyways.

It's " infidel " written in Hebrew....LOL....I love it ! I also have the T-shirt !!!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This is a very interesting topic, I think. Lasers burners and weapons show you the possibilities of harnessed electricity and energy. Imagine laser weapons 20 years from now. They might be the only weapons used. I have also been doing some research on Gaussian technology. On the internet there is plans of Gauss pistols that work. If you take a look at the ammo its pretty much the size of 50. bullets and they fire pretty much silent! Its amazing how simple they are and how powerful.Gauss canons are pretty much simplified versions of electromagnetic guns and similar weapons.If you can believe this Im only 11 years old.

<<   2 >>

join