It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question: Movies about the current conflict/war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Not sure exactly where to post this so if its in the wrong spot, please move.
Okay to my topic:
I cannot bring myself to watch movies about the current wars we (the USA) is currently involved in, I can watch movies about Vietnam and WW2, but the current war, (Desert Storm/Shield, Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom) I cant watch, I watched one and I got emotional over it. Is this normal, or am I the only one that's insane?
I am an Army veteran, served from 1991-1997, but do other veterans of the above conflicts feel the same way?

Comments please, but if you're going to flame me such as saying because I am a pansy that couldn't handle combat, keep them to yourself, they're not positive or productive.

Thanks guys & gals

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

I don't know about "normal", but to me it seems reasonable.

I don't experience the same thing, yet I was not actively involved in these events as you were.

Yea, you are fine. Some people react emotionally to different things. I wouldn't worry too much.

It'd be different if you couldn't handle the topic, then I'd say go get some help as that would point towards deeper psychological issues, but this is nothing in my opinion. You just don't like that sub genre

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I forgot to add, i am not a combat veteran of those operations

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Homer,

could you explain the reasons why you find these films difficult to watch? Is it a moral aversion? A philosophic one? Did you lose friends to combat? etc

~Heff

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I honestly dont know, I've been doing some thinking and I think alot of it might have to do with the fact that I also served, and these could be my brothers and sisters in arms....

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Homer, not being able to interact with these films, and the fact that they effect you, given your military service, is a perfectly normal and rational reaction for you to have. Empathy, especially empathy to that with which we can identify, is healthy and to be expected. We all have these triggers, based upon personal experiences or predispositions, that get us a little emotionally overboard or which can make us unable to tolerate things that don't seem to bother others.

We react to them differently because we have a personal attachment to the subject matter.

Now, if you find yourself having extreme or constant reactions of this nature then I would suggest, as a friend, that you talk to somebody about it. But it sounds to me like, as of now, you're just a guy with a good heart reacting in an appropriate manner.

~Heff
edit on 10/9/10 by Hefficide because: grammatical faux paus

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
well I misread then...

either way..I think my comment still applies.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
thanks guys, I just needed to reaffirm i wasnt going emo lol

new topics

top topics

join